CL 55 AMG vs supercharged SRT10

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driving down 241 Toll Road in OC when a black CL55 AMG passes me in the Fast Trak lane. I am cruising at 80 in 6th gear and decide to do the usual...blast by this dude to intimidate him. After a downshift to 5th gear and WOT, I notice him pulling away from me. As the rpm's climb I am closing on him. The speedometer is approaching 150 mph when he suddenly steps on the brakes. I assume it is because of traffic but then I spot a CHP on the right side of the road. My radar detector starts blaring [after the visual]. I assume I am busted...visualizing appearances in court for reckless driving, insurance rate hikes, etc. Fortunately the cop does not pull out with lights and sirens blaring. I consider myself fortunate, but frustrated that this Sunday afternoon encounter was inconclusive. I suspect that had the road been longer, the 155 mph limit on the Mercedes would have proven the deciding factor.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... a luxury car giving a racecar a run for its money. Too bad the company that makes our Vipers don't have the ingenuity to put that kind of effort into making our snakes perform at a higher level for its class... much like that AMG.

In case you guys didn't know... I'm being sarcastic.

Speedracer1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! 150MPH on the 241? Its probably one of the better places to speed but lately, I've seen Cessna flying above monitoring speedsters like us. At one time, I've seen multiple CHPs pull over up to 5 cars at a time for speeding!

Anyway, if that CHP wasn't there, looks like you would have passed by him no problem.

BTW, which radar detector did you have? I would assume it should have gone off much earlier...

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, your car is supercharged and you still were not able to pull on him? A stock SRT should pull on a CL55. Did u start off in 5th gear? I am a huge Mercedes fan, but i think you should have got him even if you guys didnt need to top out.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I am cruising at 80 in 6th gear and decide to do the usual...blast by this dude to intimidate him. After a downshift to 5th gear...

I am basing my comment on a stock SRT. I don't know how the supercharger or the different rear affects the rpms in the various gears. Seems like you should have downshifted to 3rd if you were doing 80, it would have put you in the power zone much quicker. The outcome might have been different...You might have gotten that ticket without his brake lights to alert you.
Dave

AxlRoseViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AMGs are very fast at speed on the highway...having owned an S55 and on many occassions running away from 996 Turbos....and I mean running away. It was also faster than my RT 10 at the time (on the highway).

Simply put you need to be in your LOWEST possible gear to pull on a 500hp AMG...it has a great automatic transmission and when you WOT it automatically slams it into the lowest gear and takes off.

The AMG 65 would pull away from a stock Viper with ease with all that torque, it simply just never gets winded and never stops pulling hard. With the Govenor off a 65 could easily hit the 220mph mark.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You down shifted from one overdrive grear to another overdrive gear. Bad move. There is a reason 5th and 6th gears are called overdrive. There is far less oomph in either. As a previous poster said, you should have downshifted to third or, at least, no higher than fourth gear. I am a bit surprised that you were able to catch him in fifth. Practice a little in a safe and legal place. It takes a little time and patience to develop the skills to use the power curve efficiently.
JMTC.

Bob
2006 Paxton enhanced coupe.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the SL is about 1200-1500 lbs too heavy. A stock SRT should take a SL55-65 pretty easily, i have on several occasions. The handling of the SL is pretty good but it is not a sports car. Top end the 55/65 would be faster than the SRT probably more due to the aerodynamics.

OP
OP
D

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The comments about downshifting are well-taken. I suppose I have become complacent having 700 hp...it is usually no problem to pass any car. But that AMG was damn fast. Had I known how fast, I would have been in 4th to get up to the power band. Nevertheless, the car was closing and I think I would have caught him fairly easily. I am sure he thinks he "blew off" a Viper. I think the race was terminated prematurely..."coppus interuptus". The radar detector is a battery operated ******. I think it might have been going off, but with a roaring set of Corsa track exhausts, it is hard to hear.

AxlRoseViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sylvan...your coments hold true for the 55...but not the 65...these are two entirely different beasts....we're talking 150hp 200ft difference...the 65 varients are some of the fastest cars in the world top end...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The comments about downshifting are well-taken. I suppose I have become complacent having 700 hp...it is usually no problem to pass any car. But that AMG was damn fast. Had I known how fast, I would have been in 4th to get up to the power band. Nevertheless, the car was closing and I think I would have caught him fairly easily. I am sure he thinks he "blew off" a Viper. I think the race was terminated prematurely..."coppus interuptus". The radar detector is a battery operated ******. I think it might have been going off, but with a roaring set of Corsa track exhausts, it is hard to hear.

I've made that mistake against a Carerra GT, learned, and didn't make the same mistake twice. Next race was started in 1st and took him easily. Got complacient with the power and forgot others(the GT has 600HP) have it too! :eek:

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Same issue here last Spring with a late Mustang Cobra - was in the wrong gear, and no oppty to run again.

Hey have to ask- was that the Solo 2 (******) I've been planning to get this one (battery powered) for some time now, how has it been for u?

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a valentine1. best thing i have ever bought for a car. you can easily program it to only display Ka band, which is what CA CHP and CA city cops use. I am waiting for the day they switch to laser so i can buy a laser scrambler setup.

http://www.valentine1.com/

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Came upon a SL55 AMG tonight on Woodward Ave. He changed lanes to come beside me in a very aggressive manner. Then he saw my A pillar pod with boost gauge and quickly got off. Hmm, gotta find a way to hide them gauges :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
DB/Paxton SRT 10-

You know the ramp that goes from the 241 south to the 5 north? (Its a long right hand sweeper, cambered and smooth)

My F150 p/u can go flat out around that, about an awesome 95mph, (I know, its shocking!)

Somehow I feel less comfortable going around that turn in the Viper, I think because the cars' limits are so much higher, it begs me to push until the Michelins are squealing, and by that time its unsafe on a public road with some dumb "motorist" to get in the way. Shame on them for thinking its not my private test track. [/satire]

The above is completely fictitious, for entertainment purposes only. You should never exceed the posted speed limit. No animals were harmed during this post. Close cover before striking.

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then he saw my A pillar pod with boost gauge and quickly got off. Hmm, gotta find a way to hide them gauges :)

I looked through your photos hoping to get a glimpse of an A-pillar pod for the SRT :(

I have them in other vehicles for boost and EGT, but have not found a pod that I would want in my SRT.

TD

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a valentine1. best thing i have ever bought for a car. you can easily program it to only display Ka band, which is what CA CHP and CA city cops use. I am waiting for the day they switch to laser so i can buy a laser scrambler setup.

http://www.valentine1.com/
Not to hijack the thread but hwo do you: easily program it to only display Ka band

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've done heaps of them, all varieties, and thats in my 01.
I'm over them now and do not even bother.
They are toooooo heavy, afterall they do have everything but the kitchen sink.
Sounds like wrong gear selection was your major mistake.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife had an '03 CL55 and it would be a great run against my '06 FE Coupe. In fact, I think it was faster than my Viper to 140 or so. The road test when it came out gave it a 0-60 in 4.1 and a 12.2 in the 1/4. Euro cars without the limiter said it ran 205 mph! So I can honestly say it sat 4 people and ran as good or better than my Viper. It also cost 50% more too. I had a '03 Porsche Turbo with the X50 engine package and its definelty faster than my Viper, as long as you ran 93 octane or higher in it.
Brain

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have outrun several 911 turbos including an x50. Mostly stock. See below.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang