Close call, almost totaled my Viper..I'm still shaking

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I decided to get the recall done on my 97 GTS before it's too late. I've been dragging my feet about this for three years because I don't trust anyone in my area to do this lengthy recall.

I called the Viper Wizard and was informed he can still do the recall for Dodge....so I decided to take advantage of an unusual late season weather window and visit my sister in Weschester County. .. 800 mile round trip:drive:

Chuck was super and agreed to knock the job out in one day. Soooo it's late in the day when I am ready to leave Tator's Dodge and daylight is failing. Tires are cold and the brakes are cold and the roads are cold.

I was heading west and no more than a couple of miles from Tator's on Rt 35, a country two land road in beautiful hilly country, heading towards the Saw Mill Pky. There are no shoulders on this road ( or very narrow shoulders in parts) with steel guardrails along some areas.

I am unfamiliar with the area and momentarily take my eyes of the road to glance at the navigation map and when I look up into the fading twilight.. BAM a deer is jumping out in front of my Viper. I have nowhere to go.. WHAM I jump all over the brake pedal :crazy2: The Viper stops quickly in the center of the road with very slight twitching but no fishtail.

The tire squeal is still ringing in my ears as I watch the deer jump back into the woods and dissappear...no blood no foul..very close call for all of us ...me ,the Viper , and Bambi.

All I could think of was... the expense and trouble and time and planning to get the Viper all peached out ..was in a whisker of going all for naught.

And then it hit home....less than three weeks ago I had finally installed Tom's 40mm rear brake calipers after procrastinating for 9 months ( Tom...thanks for your patience and expert help) Tom can vouch for the fact that I was yanking his chain for a long time.

I know for certain the outcome would have been very different with the stock rear brake calipers/balance because in the week following the install of the larger bore calipers, I noticed a difference in the braking ( no more nose dive....the car seems to sit down and hug the road under heavy braking). The last time I had braked very hard ( panic stop) I flat spotted the front tires ( bad...thump thump) and tire smoke surrounded the car and filled my lungs. But no more of that crap

Also, Chuck and Rob stayed late to do front brake work which was not even scheduled work for the day...and then Rob took the car out to "break in the brakes".
So ..thanks to the guys at Tator's...I hope you guys were able to put the extra 'beer money' to good use:rolleyes:

So , here is a testimonial to the advantages (resources) we have here with VCA:usa:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great story...glad that you and your Viper are OK. Deer make poor hood ornaments, noting that one can do a ton of personal and vehicle damage just avoiding the critters.

Very nice writeup on Tator's operation and Tom's rear brakes!!

We have some unbelievably great folks in the Viper Nation!!!!!

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living 5 miles from Tator's, I know the area well...this is deer country, especially this time of year. A serious hazard to drivers, and brutal on my landscaping. My brother in law whacked one leaving my house last week!

OP
OP
C

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys...I kid you not...that was a VERY close call:omg: I was 3 feet from hitting that deer. I can still picture the .....in my minds eye

SublimEd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HA HA.... "just under a buck", Good one for hunting season!
Glad it turned out the way it did, could have been a bad way to end the driving season!
They just salted our roads here last night, I'm parked till spring!

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
On the subject of brakes, those with Gen I/II should really take the time and spend the money to get one of the brake upgrades. It can't be overemphasized how horrible the stock brakes are.

I realize that unless you track your car spending money on a brake upgrade isn't terribly exciting, but, it's almost 100% guaranteed to pay off one day. Stopping 10 feet shy of a collision versus pushing the car you just hit 10 feet down the road, for example.

DLM just did a brake upgrade on my Gen II and the difference is night and day.

Winter is here. Do yourselves a favor and get/do a brake upgrade during the downtime.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the subject of brakes, those with Gen I/II should really take the time and spend the money to get one of the brake upgrades. It can't be overemphasized how horrible the stock brakes are.

I realize that unless you track your car spending money on a brake upgrade isn't terribly exciting, but, it's almost 100% guaranteed to pay off one day. Stopping 10 feet shy of a collision versus pushing the car you just hit 10 feet down the road, for example.

DLM just did a brake upgrade on my Gen II and the difference is night and day.

Winter is here. Do yourselves a favor and get/do a brake upgrade during the downtime.

What did DLM put on?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sold on Tom's upgrage....... said without actually buying yet...

Nothing quite like the front lock-up feel. Right front first then ... a$$ goes out, freak out!... yeah.

If I'd just stop worrying about my impending layoff, they'd be on my car now too.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens when you do NOT brake in time

deer_damage.jpg

Happened in the middle of the day back in July. Yes thats deer fur stuck in the facia and headlight.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eurotech rotors and a caliper upgrade on the rear. Not sure which; I'll have to ask him.

I don't have the paperwork handy atm as I'm in Australia on business.

Don't worry, I was baiting you. The name of your rear caliper upgrade starts with a "4"...

But I agree with the intent of your comments - no matter what choice is made for the brakes, the mediocre performance of the original system needs help to be safe, enjoy the car, and drive in any-day situations with confidence.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
New headline for Tom's: "Brake Upgrade Saves Lives." [Human and Animal!]

I bet you have good tires, too?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so glad you had good brakes and you are ok.

Definitely not a time for joking around when it comes to your Viper!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang