Clutch fluid leak; what could it be and where should I take it?

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pulling my car (2000 GTS) from one garage bay to another in preparation of installing a new big brake kit and as I was coming to a stop, I pushed the clutch in to take it out of gear and apply the brakes and the clutch did not disengage. I had my foot firmly on the brakes so the motor luckily just died instead of propelling me into the back of my garage. While stopped with the engine off, I tested the clutch pedal and it went straight to the floor but after pumping it a couple times recovered to normal feel. I jacked up the front end and clutch fluid started leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing (about two table spoons). I decided I had bigger problems than trying to install my big brake kit and carefully moved it back into the other bay of my garage putting it into reverse and 1st gear without any apparent issues. No more fluid has leaked out at this point.

Any ideas as to what is going on? The car has an extended service contract through Chrysler that is still good so I am going to take it in, but I would like to get some input as to what I may be dealing with. If there is anyone reading this in the central Florida area, what dealer would you take the car to? Orlando Dodge is the closest, but I know nothing about the viper tech(s) that work there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guessing the slave cylinder went bad on ya. Call Chuck Tator(914-763-3136). I think they are $180, but call him to be sure.

OP
OP
J

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response ab and 99 RT 10. Looks like I may not be taking it to the dealer after all as my warranty states, MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME:mad:

On to plan B; can anyone recommend a Tator equivalent in the Orlando/central Florida area to replace this as I do not want to get under my car on jack stands.

Thanks again.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a couple of Race Ramps XT. This is my car in the air for when I did my slave cylinder. Very stable, and plenty high enough. You don't have to drop the tranny from the tunnel, just slide it back. Even to do the clutch, same drill. Speaking of clutch, put a new one in. I took the tranny out a couple months later to put the clutch in I should have installed when doing the slave.

My slave was $215.00.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response ab and 99 RT 10. Looks like I may not be taking it to the dealer after all as my warranty states, MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME:mad:

On to plan B; can anyone recommend a Tator equivalent in the Orlando/central Florida area to replace this as I do not want to get under my car on jack stands.

Thanks again.

I took mine to Central Florida Chrysler Jeep Dodge. Ask for Chris and tell him Matt sent you. Not a Tator equvilent by any means but I don't have any complaints about the job they performed. They do NOT stock the slave cylinder for our car. I called Tator and had him ship it directly to them. My car is actually there right now getting the oil lines replaced under warranty. Should be picking up on Tue. PM me if you have any other questions

Last edited:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It looks like you have a cutch slave cylinder failure. You may want to look at the clutch being that the transmission needs to come out to fix this. Good time to check it all out.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance
310-841-6996

OP
OP
J

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like a stable platform Dave but I don't think I want to tackle this project on my own. I know there are some options in clutch replacement so I will try to research this a little but agree it would be easier to do it all now. I appreciate the reference MTGTS and would have never known I needed to get the slave cylinder from someone else:2tu:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like a stable platform Dave but I don't think I want to tackle this project on my own. I know there are some options in clutch replacement so I will try to research this a little but agree it would be easier to do it all now. I appreciate the reference MTGTS and would have never known I needed to get the slave cylinder from someone else:2tu:

They can get you one, I think they charge around $200. Tator hooks it up with the VCA discount. Order whatever you can from him. Give him a call, you won't regret it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456