coil over???

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the market for some coil overs I have a few questions for those that have them or sell them.

Do any of the brands eliminate wheel hop?

As much as I planned on tracking my car (can't stomach the thought of trashing my car on a road course) I have only done a few autocrosses, but I do visit the local dragstrip quite often. Does anybody offer a coil over more suited for drag but would still work well for spirited driving?

Anyone have any used set they are looking to sell? Don't mind buying new but would love a great deal on some used
coilovers.

Am I missing any brands I should look at(Moton, MCS, KW, Penske, Vipair)?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheel hop can be altered but not eliminated by changes in changes in spring rates and shock damping. Since wheel hop is a complex interaction of many different factors, and a big one (pavement traction) is out of your control, any suspension system that can wheel hop can never be guaranteed to NOT wheel hop. Even a rigid suspension (no springs) can wheel hop due to tire sidewall flex and wheel attachment hardware flex alone. If you damp out a mechanical resonance under one set of conditions it may oscillate under another.

Throttle control and tire pressure adjustments at the strip are probably your best bets here.

OP
OP
L

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wheel hop has not been a problem at the strip mainly on the street with the factory tires (ps2)

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My coilovers reduce Wheel hop significantly, where I used to get wheel hop on every burnout on the street, it is now approx 1 out of every 15 launches

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen3 rear end is also one of the factors for wheel hop. Anyone with more knowledge please chime in. But yes, most of your wheel hope will be eliminated with a good set of coilovers.

OP
OP
L

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The gen3 rear end is also one of the factors for wheel hop. Anyone with more knowledge please chime in. But yes, most of your wheel hope will be eliminated with a good set of coilovers.

I have a gen IV

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience has been that the wheel hop is mainly a function of the right spring rate to keep the tire in contact with the pavement, the stock spring rate is too low, an spring of 650 to 800 keeps the tire from hopping

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21