Collectibility: Celebrity owned or special edition?

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know, I know, our Vipers are not investments, they are to enjoy (I agree). However, what would you consider more collectible in 10-20 years:

02 Final Edition GTS (1 of 360), celebrity owned (Aerosmith)
or
02 Final Edition GTS ACR (1 of 34), only 819 ACRs ever built

??? Thanks!

Chuckdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol sorry to barge in on your post, but the celebrity owned thing reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where George buys the Chrysler LeBaron because he thinks its John Voit's car. Priceless...

p.s. I'd go for the ACR as more collectible.

OP
OP
F

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddies have reminded me of that episode, which is great because I still watch those re-runs nightly @ 11pm.. ha ha

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol sorry to barge in on your post, but the celebrity owned thing reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where George buys the Chrysler LeBaron because he thinks its John Voit's car. Priceless...

i remember that episode :D . i would go with the ACR

OP
OP
F

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does Leno have any vipers in his collection? Is his location anywhere online to view?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody remember the Porsche James Dean died in? I heard it's responsible for killing a couple more people and injured a bunch. I wonder how much that car would be worth nowadays intact (as intact as a wrecked car can be)?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
02 Final Edition GTS (1 of 360), celebrity owned (Aerosmith)

Make sure that is Aerosmith and not like Erosmyth. That's what happened with the John Voit car. Also, check to see if there is a pencil in the glove compartment that you can take to a dentist and see if it matches.

But to answer your question, get the ACR. The only celebrity car that would impress me is something that was used in a movie. Just knowing that I have like Frank Stallone's car, isn't impressive to me.

OP
OP
F

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya know, if the Viper had the Soup ****'s recipes hidden under the driver's seat, it would be worth a few extra bucks... Remember that one?

I'm just about convinced. I love ACR models and I've seen a few FE-ACRs with similar miles to mine available. A good friend of mine will buy my FE #357 if I buy the other. Hmmmmmm....

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACR for me. BTW, I may be a pretty face, but dumb as a box of rocks. I don't get the dentist comment but I've had a couple beers so I have a lame excuse.
"check to see if there is a pencil in the glove compartment that you can take to a dentist and see if it matches." The brain is moving awfully slow on that one. No more beers for me tonight. nolo comprende.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a little bit of info about movie cars. The last car I would ever buy is a movie car. I work in the industry and believe me if you only knew what we do to them. It cracks me up when I see movie cars being sold for big bucks at auctions like Barrett/Jackson. Poor suckers, most are junk thrashed heaps thrown together, there never is one car. They build a whole fleet of cars and then sell them to some suckers as the one and only car from some show. Most celebs don't take care of their cars, they just run them into the ground. Jay Leno is trully the exception.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR for me. BTW, I may be a pretty face, but dumb as a box of rocks. I don't get the dentist comment but I've had a couple beers so I have a lame excuse.
"check to see if there is a pencil in the glove compartment that you can take to a dentist and see if it matches." The brain is moving awfully slow on that one. No more beers for me tonight. nolo comprende.

Gerald:
We were talking about the Seinfeld episode where George buys John Voight's Lebaron. He finds a pencil in the glove compartment with teeth marks in it. Then Kramer got bit on the arm by Jon Voight (the actor). To prove that George owns the car owned by the actor, they take the pencil to get a dentist to look at it. It turns out that John Voight is a dentist. There's also jokes about how John (with an H) owned the car, but Jon (no H) is the actor.

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paying more for a car that was owned by a celebrity is like saying that person is better than you.

Unless of course its anything owned by Gable, ******, Stalin, a former President or Elvis.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paying more for a car that was owned by a celebrity is like saying that person is better than you.

Unless of course its anything owned by Gable, ******, Stalin, a former President or Elvis.

Or Marilyn Monroe. People pay ridiculous sums of money for stupid crap owned by her. I can't imagine what "Marilyn Monroe's car" would sell for. It'd be like a million dollar Corvair or something.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final Ed 357,

There are other factors to "collectability", having the first or last of something, or almost first and almost last such as your #357 of 360 would probably be more desireable to a collector 20 years from now than an ACR option. There is a difference between rarity and collectible. Personally if given a choice between any number of FE vs. an FE ACR of any #, I would agree with everybody that said ACR, but you should think about the fact that you have the 4th last FE and the 4th last GTS ever made.

( think about it! )

Steve

Reaction score
Actually the number on a FE does not mean the order in which it was made. You can lookup the MDH# (Month/Day/Hour) on the final edition web site.

I prefer the FE ACR because of the low build numbers.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

You are quite correct about the Vin and build date of these cars but, for value the badging of the FE's will play an additional role. For example the VCA edition cars #1 and #50 are more desireable even though build date and Vin have absolutely nothing to do with the VCA badge #'s, # 1 sold recently on Ebay for much more than it should have if build date and Vin were the only factors at hand.