Colorado Springs - Street Racing Accident Injures Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Police in Colorado Springs say that street racing led to a serious accident that injured both the driver and his passenger. It happened just after 11:00 p.m. Friday along Academy Boulevard at Constitution Avenue.

Officers say the driver of a 1997 Dodge Viper was racing with a Subaru STI when he lost control and hit the curb and then crashed into a boulder near the Sinclair gas station.

The 34 year old and a 28 year old female passenger were both taken to the hospital with serious injuries. It took emergency workers about an hour to extract the man from the car.

The Subaru left the scene. The driver of the Viper faces felony charges. Police say he was speeding but they don't believe he was drinking.

Source

TI3VOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Over an STI?:dunno: NOT worth it IMHO even though some of them are fast the reputation of a Viper alone should be enough to keep this kind of stuff off the street and on the track ESP when you have a passenger....I am glad no one was killed, still sad to see another GTS off the road.:(

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that no one was killed. Cenceless accidents like this can be avoided, take it either to the drag strip or the road course...but the good news is our cars just appreciated alittle bit more.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad nobody got hurt. Now lets see all the backlash about street racing.

Is the owner on this site? Hope he and the girl are ok

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well was he atleast winning before he crashed?

Also plus side is if they were racing for slips the Viper owner won again..

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another example of poor judgment leading to serious injury. Ironically, there is a NASA event being held in CS this weekend (I am there) and these guys could have taken it to the track for about $200. The rumor here is that the guy is in the Army. No names floating around. I hope his passenger esp isn't hurt too bad...same for the guy driving.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not photochopped, it is jaws of life chopped. You can see the jaws of life laying on the street. Looks ugly, even if all the aspect ratios in that picture is old movie narrow style.

Hopefully they pull through with their injuries. Not nice to see.

Of course the useless cops down there are very quick to throw out the felony charges instead of tracking down the Subaru that they let leave the scene of the crime. Typical! Not justifying this Viper owner's actions in the slightest because I believe it was very poor judgement on his part, just seems strange to state the charges so quickly in the article when they are missing 1/2 the problem and evidence.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh hell, I got here too late...but what the hey...

...take it to the track...blah, blah, blah...

...old tires...blah, blah, blah...

...this is why vipers have a bad rep...blah, blah, blah...

Please return to normal operating conditions.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pic was obviously wider at one point and formated to fit a space. makes things look long and narrow.

The Subaru left the scene. The driver of the Viper faces felony charges
The Subaru owner should be hunted down and shot. I don't care what kind of trouble your going to get into, you DON'T leave the scene of an accident with injured people.

VIPERBARON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks amost like my Viper. BUT it wan't me. My baby is safe in storage until I get back. Very few Vipers in the Springs. Sad way to go for such a nice ride.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it did not turn out for the best as the Viper owner/driver passed away. My condolences!

"Regrettably, Jeff passed away early this morning from the injuries he sustained in the accident."

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it did not turn out for the best as the Viper owner/driver passed away. My condolences!

"Regrettably, Jeff passed away early this morning from the injuries he sustained in the accident."

Stupid. Gonna bite my tongue. Condolences to his family. :(

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, that is sad to hear. Lost a viper and a viper owner... the car is scary. I worry about my brother sometimes because he drives my Viper and he is real cocky.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More information about the driver. Also the Subi driver did go to the police after the fact.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- KRDO Newschannel13 has learned that the man police said was street racing on North Academy Boulevard has died.
Friends said Jeffrey Hawthorne, 34, was a Fort Carson soldier and died from his injuries Thursday.
Hawthorne crashed car near Academy and Constitution on April 15. His female passenger, Fallon Nava of Pueblo West, was also injured in the crash.
Witnesses said Hawthorne was drag racing against a Subaru STi before losing control of his Dodge Viper and careening into a landscaping boulder at about 90 mph. Police do not think Hawthorne was drinking.
Hawthorne ended up pinned beneath his dashboard, and it took firefighters nearly an hour to remove him from the crumpled wreck.
Officers have interviewed the driver of the other car, but have not said whether that person is facing charges. PrintEmail

Ft. Carson Soldier Dies After Street Racing Crash - News Story - KRDO Colorado Springs

I found this reading comments to one of the stories.

by Jill on Apr 19, 2011 at 08:01 PM in reply to LL
You don't have Fallon in your car not racing... she's like cancer to people with fast cars... only faster acting.

Wow! That sounds like one dangerous chick!

Last edited:

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff and his Viper:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.