Common Courtesy!!!!

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I just want to vent!!!! Every item that I have bid on ebay is being run up on me by one of our very own. I do not know if they post here but I know that he advertises here. I will not intentionally bid up against my fellow board members. What has really pushed me to post my feelings is that I called this vendor one time and he double retailed me on some used parts. He was not interested in taking an offer for any of his stuff. That is fine I do not have to purchase it When you buy stuff off ebay CHEAP, and make 300% profit that is fine also, but DO NOT BID UP YOUR FELLOW BOARD MEMBERS!!!!! For the most part we all try to stick together and help each other, and if you read this and are un-aware of the up-bids on 3 items I've been bidding on I am sorry for calling you out. My ebay user is the same as here.
Chad

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand your complaint???

So if you are bidding on something.. and I want it too.... I should not bid on it because you want it and we both frequent this board???

That is how E-bay works..... folks bid on the item to the price they are willing to pay... whoever is willing to pay the most is the winner.

Happy Holidays,
Lance

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lance,

I think his complaint is that he bids on something, then someone else outbids him, NOT because they also want the item, but because they are trying to get him to bid again, thus artifically inflating the item price. It's called "shill" bidding and has gone on as long as there have been auctions.

rhansenjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds to me as if he is being out bid for parts by one of our dealers who then turns around, marks the parts up and re-sells them for up to 300% what the dealer bought them for on e-bay. A case of enthusiast vs professional e-bay user.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, that really stinks. If the other bidder wants to use the parts for themselves, that's fine. But if it's a used parts dealer and they are trying to buy it just to sell it back at an inflated price, then that's just wrong.

Who is this and what is the link?

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they put it up on Ebay and you don't bid enough - too bad you don't get it. If they are shilling, that is there own stupidity because they need to pay Ebay a bigger percentage of that "fake" cut. Here's a tip, if you really want the part that bad, wait until the final minute of the auction and beat the shiller at their own game. They won't have time to shill bid if you bid at the last second.

OP
OP
G

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, that really stinks. If the other bidder wants to use the parts for themselves, that's fine. But if it's a used parts dealer and they are trying to buy it just to sell it back at an inflated price, then that's just wrong.
This is exactly what I am talking about. I have no problem with someone that just wants the parts that uses this board out bidding me, that is fine. it is the vendor that ****** me off. As far as who it is I really do not want to say but it is a used parts Vendor that advertises here. My point is that Scott from Elite saw that I was bidding on a part a while back and did not run the auction up on me as a matter of fact he did not even bid on the item, he emailed me and told me so. I have done the same thing for him. If he was bidding on something that I may have wanted. I look at it there always will be another part.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at it this way: If there is enough markup in the part to bid it up and resell, then you havve to decide how much of "retail" you are willing to pay. The "pro" will stop bidding when the part gets close to retail (probably anything over 50-75%), so you can still save over the retail market. But I think you won't be able to get a "pro" to refrain from bidding and forego profit so you can buy at 1/3 of retail.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there and received the same. It was obvious who it was and I indeed attempted to purchase a similar item previously but received an exhorbitant price. Thus why I was Ebay shopping. I realize that this is business but it still hurts when it is your own pocket book. It would be nice to get a deal on Viper stuff once in a while. The Viper tax, even on Ebay, gets a little old.

He is also very good timing wise. If it is still in his price range he will seal the deal at the last second. Many of us work and cannot access Ebay during work hours. When auctions end during that time we have no chance unless we over bid.

OP
OP
G

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell lets just don't buy from him, black list,the plague, everyone start calling him wasting his time, that will teach him ;) Just kidding good to know a few of you are aware of who it is and what his game is.
C~

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Who is this and what is the link?

That is not wrong!!Ebay is for anyone who wants an item!!Dealer or individual.I cant believe that anyone would have a problem with this??Grow up.Its life!!!I buy cars corvettes off ebay and resell them.SO WHAT!! So I shouldnt buy because someone who's name I recognize is also bidding on the car/item?That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.I obviously am missing something here.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's called BUSINESS and your up against people that do it for a living on ebay :smirk:

Try the used parts section and get away from the bidding war.

OP
OP
G

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is not wrong!!Ebay is for anyone who wants an item!!Dealer or individual.I cant believe that anyone would have a problem with this??Grow up.Its life!!!I buy cars corvettes off ebay and resell them.SO WHAT!! So I shouldnt buy because someone who's name I recognize is also bidding on the car/item?That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.I obviously am missing something here.
Board abuse?? Just my opinion just like you have yours. No need to tell me to grow up I was not picking a fight, just venting an opinion. I mentioned no names. I buy things off of ebay all the time and sometimes resale them as well, but if someone here wants it and I know that they are bidding I just let them have it. Just my .02
C~

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I've bid on items against people here whose name I have recognized..... that's life I guess.

As far as this individual... I have no idea who it is.... but you can always just keep bidding it up... and then let the guy have the part at the last minute...

He may still get the part.... but his/her profit margin will be reduced.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad,
My 2 cents. i learned with ebay .. hold your bid till the last 1 min or so.. so no chance of the run
up.
Good luck with your bidding..

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Board abuse?? Just my opinion just like you have yours. No need to tell me to grow up I was not picking a fight, just venting an opinion. I mentioned no names. I buy things off of ebay all the time and sometimes resale them as well, but if someone here wants it and I know that they are bidding I just let them have it. Just my .02
C~

It was not you specifically that I was telling to grow up.I would bid against my best friend on an item,and may the person who wants it more win.And we would still be best friends when its over.We cant possibly take this personally,its business.JMHO

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim's trick is the only way to buy something on EBay. Most people who are good at it, get their bid in the last second.... and put in the absolute max they are willing to pay. The funny thing is that in the end, the Market will make auctions do what EBay least likely wants to see.... items selling for "Fair Market" which means there would be no reason for buyers to use EBay over any other traditional method for "buying at market" (mailorder, web sites, Wal-Mart, etc....

Bidding the last second is the only way not to "show your hand". I'm sort of surprised nobody has written a little program that allows you to enter the ebay item number, your max price, and your EBAY log-in info... and the program logs into ebay at the appropriate time (a few minutes before the end of the auction), bounces a packet to ebay to see what your connection speed is running at... and sends in your max bid so it will arrive at EBay "at the last second". (Consider this a copywrited program idea :) , Copyright Jay Herbert, 2003) This would take care of the problem of auctions ending while people are at work too.

The person that is buying parts to resell... obviously does not understand this either as by bidding against people before the end of the auction is driving up the price he pays.... cutting into his potential profits. Like I said, in the end... bargains will/are disappearing on EBay.

Although it is against EBay policy, if you know the person bidding against you.... it is possible to send them an email to "Collude". Sort of a waste if the other person is buying to resell though. It's a free market :(

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont think the original post has anything to do with the ebay system,and the best way to attack it.It is about someone that advertises on the forum bidding against any forum member.The ebay system is terrific,despite its negatives.But that isnt the point here.I guess Im easily confused.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were selling a part on Ebay, say a hardtop.
I would hate to think that people who frequent this board would PM each other and conspire to rig the auction.

The Viper community may very well be small enough for bid rigging to have an effect on the selling price.
It's more than just agreeing not to bid against your buddy.

A guy who makes his living buying and selling Viper parts, shouldn't have to worry about stepping on GCHDEALER's toes.

I see Ebay as an auction. Place your bid like everyone else.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would hate to think that people who frequent this board would PM each other and conspire to rig the auction.

The Viper community may very well be small enough for bid rigging to have an effect on the selling price.

A guy who makes his living buying and selling Viper parts, shouldn't have to worry about stepping on GCHDEALER's toes.

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: In total agreement.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree, that is why it is against EBay's rules.... should have never mentioned it.

If a person does not want people to bid against them, they don't need to attempt to buy at auctions... Yes, this thread started as a complaint from a person who was/is unhappy that another person, who makes their living selling Viper parts, is bidding against them (for parts). Again, Joe117 hit the nail on the head. If a part is something that the Viper parts dearler knows he has a resale for, then it is likely to be something that others would be bidding on too... if it is something nobody would want.... it is likely that the parts dealer would not be bidding... nor any other Viper owners.....

If a person wants good deals, scan the VCA classifieds daily. Good deals there last less then a day because the parts delaers also religiously watch them and are signed up for the autonotify feature in the classifieds which lets them know when ads meeting their criteria via email.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually board members CAN cooperate sometimes to avoid bidding against each other. I am a member of another board where we have a permanent sticky at the top of the main thread with all our Ebay users names. Guys will PM each other to avoid running the price up and usually one guy will back off and wait for the item to come up again. Sounds strange, I never thought it would work, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS IS CAPITALISM at its best, or worst, depending on your point of view
If you don't like it, find another country to live in - try Iraq, over there the guy with the gun has the say as to who get what!!!

Lets get real he - how is a Vendor bidding up something you want to buy. If he wins the auction then the price he is willing to pay is higher than yours- from you make it sound like you think he is trying to get at you in some way.

If he can turn around and sell the item at a 300% markup, then God Bless America - ITS CALLED FREEDOM

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point is not capitalism, or maybe it is, however, if a vendor truly tries to artificially keep prices up, he is not a friend of the viper community. The key word is artificially.

What is to stop this vendor from selling thru shills of his own while he keeps the prices high by bidding against himself. It wouldn't be too far fetched to have a group of shill sellers that are receiving income from the vendor/bidder.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is artificial about a vendor bidding higher than the Viper guy, then selling the "bought" item at a marked up price to a third party? That is capitalism.

OP
OP
G

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First.....I never posted this to start a war!!!!
Second....It is the vendors free will to bid on anything he wants, That I agree with no question.
Third.....I posted this well knowing that some would see my point and some would disagree, that is freedom of speech.

My point was, I have always found ebay to be a great source for parts at below retail prices. Usually there was no Viper-Tax there!! Now you have a board member/advertiser (who with no reply to this thread, most likely doesn't even post on the forums) bidding on quite a few items running up the prices, to resale with all of the Viper-Tax that he can collect. As a matter of fact I would be willing to bet there is not one seasoned board member that has ever purchase anything from him because of the outrageous prices that he sells his stuff for. For those of you that defend his actions that is your right but UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS THAT YOU ARE DEFENDING BEFORE LASHING OUT AND SAYING THAT I NEED TO GROW UP OR I AM GETTING MY TOES STEPPED ON. I posted this for others to be aware of when your are shopping on ebay that this vendor may just end up with that part and if you want it YOU WILL PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR IT.
Now if my point is not clear. Maybe you should ask someone that can read and comprehend to explain it to you. :confused: :D
I also sell things to members on this and other boards, so I keep everything on a level as to not fall into name calling and crying. I just wanted to vent a little and share some info for those of you who may be interested in reading the post.
C~