Computer modifications

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if any are the options for tuning the viper's computer? I have a wideband O2 sensor for a/f but how do you make the changes after making mods? I am looking for the ability for many changes in the tuning process and not for a one time tuner's 'guess' at what will do the a/f and timing trick for my set-up.....I am looking for a lap-top based tuning ability. Do I have to use an outboard computer to do this?

OP
OP
S

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any way of setting timing by rpm/load or adjusting a/f ratio?....aftermarket plug and play system....anyone??

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am checking out the split sec system. Paxton uses them and most paxton owners hate them, so you can pick them up pretty cheap used. I'm hoping they don't lean out my car like they do the paxton cars, but a little lean won't at least melt my pistons.
Anyway, it is a piggyback system but mappable on a laptop like a stand alone unit is.

OP
OP
S

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does it lean out do to fuel system limitations or do you have to just over richen for a good a/f?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT IS NOT the Split seconds box thats leaning out the systems, its the FUEL system CRAP Paxton uses to deliver the fuel. Matter of fact, the slit sec system, in its paxton form doesnt even manage your fuel curves. But it can be made to.

Anwyay, dont knock the Split Sec set up, it works, its just a really crappy fuel system that doesnt (with the Paxton Kit).

Also, Shawn Roe's Vec 2 is another option. Lots of folks like it even MORE then the Split Sec.

Jon

OP
OP
S

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it use a pump voltage booster to acheive a higher flow or does it replace the pump with a higher capacity unit?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if any are the options for tuning the viper's computer? I have a wideband O2 sensor for a/f but how do you make the changes after making mods? I am looking for the ability for many changes in the tuning process and not for a one time tuner's 'guess' at what will do the a/f and timing trick for my set-up.....I am looking for a lap-top based tuning ability. Do I have to use an outboard computer to do this?

AEM unit,

Will be release shortly, will do everything you ever wanted and more.

You can also use a Vec 2,

From what I hear its a good unit, not nearly as many functions as AEM but its being used on many vehicles that seem to run well.

OP
OP
S

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried doing a search for AEM but no luck....sounds like a good unit. Is it to be a laptop accessed unit or realtime module? Will be awesome to be able to access timing and fuel curves by engine rpm and load.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a full stand alone ignition/fuel management, accessed through any windows based laptop. The factory computer just gets tossed either under the seat(for alarm issues)or gets left out all together which will cause your doors only to open with the emergency release handles if engine is on.

You can do almost anything imaginable with this unit, individual cylinder control, knock sensors, boost reference, traction control, etc...

AEMPOWER.COM and look under products.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No they're not using the voltage booster pump (at least not now). If the tuners continue to bandaid things up to 1000hp, Yeah, I see a voltage booster somewhere in their future.
But now that AEM has their complete stand alone unit, those that are spending $$$ for their setups really don't have an excuse not to put something top quality on their car.

I also agree with 2002 Viper GTS ACR in that the split second setup is a decent piggyback system. RSI is using them in their 1000hp monsters, and they don't seem to be having a lean problem! I meant my above post as more of a joke than a statement saying all split sec units will lean out your car on top. My bad.

Also WestCoast viper can REPROGRAM you stock computer for $500 if you send them a dyno sheet (e-file) with A/F ratios. This may be the biggest bang for the buck. The spit sec box sells for about $600, but you can have more fun yourself playing with it (more 2fast2furious value). As always, its best to tune on a dyno rather than seat of the pants feel.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not be able to use a voltage booster to tune the engine unless you change the fuel pump. The built-in regulator won't allow the stock pump to exceed 55 psi. You may pick up volume, but, not pressure.

With the AEM you will have to have someone with both viper and AEM experience to set it up. Right now there aren't many if any that fit that description. On the other hand the VEC can be tuned by an individual with some basic knowledge.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not be able to use a voltage booster to tune the engine unless you change the fuel pump. The built-in regulator won't allow the stock pump to exceed 55 psi. You may pick up volume, but, not pressure.

With the AEM you will have to have someone with both viper and AEM experience to set it up. Right now there aren't many if any that fit that description. On the other hand the VEC can be tuned by an individual with some basic knowledge.

Jack B,

The AEM unit can be tunned by anyone who was properly trained, its not about what kind of car its on. There is no major difference between tuning a Viper v10, from a honda inline 4.

As far as people experienced with actual viper hands on, lets see DC just set up a 800+rwhp beast with an AEM unit. Horsepower freaks have been involved with the Viper and AEM for over 6 months. And I am sure there are many, many more. Not to mention the AEM employees who tunned my AEM unit with ease. Not many but considering the unit is not officialy on the market yet, what would you expect.

For the do it your self type of person, you would be surprised how easy the AEM unit is to fiddle with. Just setting up a base air/fuel map and ignition map is very easy to do, and just let the wide band o2's do the trick. Have done it my self several times it gets the numbers within .1-.2 tenths of a point.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ M:

You must be a better man than most, plus, I didn't realize how simple the AEM is. It is now obvious that generating a complete a/f and timing map, plus, the adaptives/off sets for air temperature, coolant temperature, humidity and altitude is so simple, probably an overnight task.

On the more serious side, I still say that getting complete driveability over a range of operating conditions is not simple, WOT yes, complete driveability, no.

On the lighter side, as for the Honda being the same as the Viper V10, you are also right they are both four cycle engines, I just forgot.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B,

Thanks for the sarcasm, cant say that I blame you but you would be very surprised just how easy it is to mess with once you get a basic knowledge.

You are forgeting though that AEM already has a great base map for gen 2 vipers, in which most of the other parameters are already set and dont need to be messed with(air temps/coolant/etc...).

When it comes to actual tuning there is no major difference between adjusting a viper v10 to a honda inline 4. Even ignition timing is surprisingly similar but for different reasons.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
SpinMonster,
Call West Coast Viper. They should have the answers you seek.

DJE

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These guys have the AEM unit on clearance http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/
EMS Complete Viper Package

Horsepowerfreaks Complete EMS Package. This kit comes with everything you will need to set up your car with the top of the line stand-alone system for your Viper.

AEM EMS for Viper with built in dual channel wide-band
GM Boost control solenoid (with turbo option only)
GM 3 bar map sensor (with turbo or supercharger option only)
Dual knock sensor setup (optional)
Horsepowerfreaks/TorqueFreaks, Inc. AEM Map

Want us to tune your car and have it run like it's bone stock with way more power than you ever had? Do you already have the AEM and are frustrated that you cannot get your car to run perfectly in all situations? Then you may want to read some of our AEM tuning testimonials. We fly around the world tuning AEM Engine Management Systems for our customers nearly every single day. Just give our service department a call if you have any questions or interest.

AEM Tuning Testimonials
Testimonials Via Email www.torquefreaks.com
Testimonials from AEM forums forum.aempower.com
Testimonials from S2000 owners forums.s2ki.com
Tesimonials from DSM owners www.dsmtalk.com
Tesimonials from Supra owners www.supraforums.com

Purchase Rating (1-10) Make Model Part Number Details MSRP Sale Price Clearance
New Dodge Viper HPF EMS VIPER KN Naturally Aspirated, with knock sensors 4,687.00 3,410.00 3,220.00
New Dodge Viper HPF EMS VIPER KN SUPE For Supercharger, with Knock sensors 4,825.00 3,532.00 3,335.00
New Dodge Viper HPF EMS VIPER KN TURB For Turbo, with knock sensors 4,867.00 3,571.00 3,375.00
New Dodge Viper HPF EMS VIPER SUPE For Supercharger 4,075.00 2,957.10 2,835.00
New Dodge Viper HPF EMS VIPER TURB For Turbo 4,117.00 2,996.10 2,835.00

These guys have the AEM unit on clearance http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I have a used split second box for sale. Absolutely perfect condition. Took it off to install a VEC2. At the time I was having some problems with the car and thought it might benefit from the VEC2. I found out later that the PCM in the car was bad. Split second works perfect.

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any info on what exactly it does? I had a VEC2 on the car & took it off for certain reasons. Thanks!

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the post guys. We currently have 4 Viper EMS's left in stock if anyone is interested. We also have plug-n-play knock sensor kits for the Viper GTS.

Take care,
Chris.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang