Crower roller rockers?

trydh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi America!

Is there anybody with experience of Crower aluminium shaft mounted rocker system ?

It looked really good with a nice price.

You must be registered for see images

Jorgen / Sweden

OP
OP
T

trydh

Viper Owner
Reaction score

JonB wants $1395 for T&D and Roe Racing only sell Jesel for
$1869,95. :dunno:

Crower shaft mounted roller rockers $1210,10.

And they all is pretty much the same system, the distinguish between the different brands is weight, perhaps material but I think the Crower shaft roller rockers is not that bad.

Or ?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put Jesel on mine. I was impressed with the quality. However, I would have no concerns with Crower. You will most likely need new pushrods as well, and a pushrod length checker.

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know a friend in our Ontario club had Crowers fail. I also saw at least one other case on this or the other board a while ago. Crower may make some other great parts, but not roller rockers for Vipers. T & D or spring for the Jesels.

SS

OP
OP
T

trydh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know a friend in our Ontario club had Crowers fail. I also saw at least one other case on this or the other board a while ago. Crower may make some other great parts, but not roller rockers for Vipers. T & D or spring for the Jesels.

SS

Did he use shaft mounted rockers ?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SS

Without a formal failure analysis, I'd be reluctant to blame Crower. Do you know if Crower accepted responsibility? How did they fail?

If you don't do the install correctly, any rolling rocker will fail. For example, if you use the old pushrods, and they are not the right length, expect failure. Or if you do not adjust or install them correctly, they will fail.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Crower's in my 95. I put them in about 5 months ago and put about 2000 miles on them. No issues as of now.
Setting up a Dyno day in a couple weeks to see if I picked up any power.

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys, got the info: The Crowers that failed were NOT shaft mounted. At the time (2006) they were advertised for use in the Viper. After the failure, shaft mounted Crower rockers were re-installed, and there's been no problems since. Let's hope so. Interestingly, the tech mentioned that the shaft mounted Crowers looked like clones of the T & Ds and others.

BTW, I'm installing Jesels this weekend, I'll let you know my observations.

SS

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Without a formal failure analysis, I'd be reluctant to blame Crower. Do you know if Crower accepted responsibility? How did they fail?

If you don't do the install correctly, any rolling rocker will fail. For example, if you use the old pushrods, and they are not the right length, expect failure. Or if you do not adjust or install them correctly, they will fail.

Just for clarification; Yes, Crower claimed responsibility. It was an inherent defect in the way they were designed, thats why there is a new version. Personally, I am reluctant to buy ANY crower products. My reasoning is that they KNEW there was an issue, but it took a long time to pull them from the shelves. I view that is irresponsible. I have also run into issues with Crower's valve cover spacers. They dont list it anywhere, but if you torque them to FACTORY spec- the studs break! After having a couple of them break (at which time they admitted fault) they STILL stuck me with a ridiculous bill for new studs!

(PS- I was not the one who did the install of those crowers- I know better than that!)

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Purdue,
Yes, I'll be there to watch. Dan lives in Buffalo, I'm in Toronto. It's a 90 minute drive - but the lineup at the border varies from 10 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. It's always worth the trip - Dan won't do anything without checking with me, always answers questions, and gets the finicky detail stuff the way I like it.

Besides, he's one of the few guys that likes talking about Vipers as much as I do.
We have a 150 mile Fall cruise up north the day after the install. I'll post any thing interesting I notice about the Jesels that may add to this discussion.

Sonny

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Purdue,
Yes, I'll be there to watch. Dan lives in Buffalo, I'm in Toronto. It's a 90 minute drive - but the lineup at the border varies from 10 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. It's always worth the trip - Dan won't do anything without checking with me, always answers questions, and gets the finicky detail stuff the way I like it.

Besides, he's one of the few guys that likes talking about Vipers as much as I do.
We have a 150 mile Fall cruise up north the day after the install. I'll post any thing interesting I notice about the Jesels that may add to this discussion.

Sonny

Yeah, got to like someone who gets the "finicky detail stuff". The thing I would be interested in is the pushrods. I had to pull my old rockers, and install one section of the new Jesels with the length checker. Then, I ordered new pushrods and waited until I could do the final install. You could pre-order the expected new length, but you would still need to confirm that they were the correct length. The Jesels come with the checker.

Are you replacing your valve cover gaskets?

Pat

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi America!

Is there anybody with experience of Crower aluminium shaft mounted rocker system ?

It looked really good with a nice price.

You must be registered for see images

Jorgen / Sweden
Not sure what model car you have but I found some new Gen II T&Ds for $875.

If your car is a Gen III the Gen II T&Ds will work (with some adjustments to the stands) if your Viper tech knows his stuff.

I have a set of T&D Gen IIs on my Ram SRT10 right now.;)

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Pat,
The valve cover gaskets seem fine. Dan says no reason to change. We measured the pushrod length last week, so we knew what size to order.

SS

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Pat,
The valve cover gaskets seem fine. Dan says no reason to change. We measured the pushrod length last week, so we knew what size to order.

SS

I didn't change mine either. Took a little tweaking to get them sealed, but now zero leaks. Do you have a VEC3 or similar to tune after your install?

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After the Jesels, I'll use the SCT Flash Tool, with Dan tuning. I'll probably wait at least a few months as new options and upgrades become available. By next spring the SCT should be a great choice.

SS

OP
OP
T

trydh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure what model car you have but I found some new Gen II T&Ds for $875.

If your car is a Gen III the Gen II T&Ds will work (with some adjustments to the stands) if your Viper tech knows his stuff.

I have a set of T&D Gen IIs on my Ram SRT10 right now.;)

Where did you find T&D for $875 ?
Please tell me, I haven´t find T&D for less than $1395 !!
I have a -99 RT/10 gen.2

Sonny S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Dan Lesser install the Jesels on Saturday. No problems with the install.
As a note, although we measured the pushrods at 7.5" Dan used 7.6" - they were a better fit.
Drove back the 90 miles to Toronto, engine felt fine, seemed slightly smoother, but I didn't drive it hard. Yesterday, the Ontario club had an event up north and I got to hammer it to redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd several times. That's where you notice the difference. Previously, the engine always got a little stuffy over 5,000 rpm. I'd call the sound 'woofy' and it didn't rev as smoothly or as strongly as I'd like. With the new Jesels the sound just keeps on howling and the feel remains as smooth as the best midrange sweet spots.

To Trydh and the others here, Dan recommends the Jesels over the T&Ds (he's a dealer of both) and the other mid-price options. I think the peace of mind you get is worth the money.

Best of luck,

Sonny