Custom Dash Mod

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got some cool new stuff from 3M and decided the console on my 08 would be a perfect project to try it out. It is called Di-Noc, its a vinyl like material but much more heavy duty. I think it looks damn good and I did it myself. It took about 10 minutes to get the dash apart and about 4 hrs to wrap the dash. I think the cup holder bezel from MGW would really finish it off nice. It looks just like carbon fiber!

DSCN3103.JPG

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M(TM) DI-NOC(TM) Carbon, CA-421 is the pattern I used but buying it is not so easy. You can only buy it by the roll and I was told by a 3M rep that it is about $2000 a roll. I work with 3M alot and got a piece from a job we were doing. There is a link on the website to a dealer but no pricing is listed.

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry I meant that the pattern looked like carbon fiber not the final effect. your right it does not have the high gloss shine of finished carbon fiber.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry I meant that the pattern looked like carbon fiber not the final effect. your right it does not have the high gloss shine of finished carbon fiber.

I think it looks better than carbon fiber for that very reason. Nice. :) (I wish it came in something close to GTS Blue)

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree it looks good but this is very bootleg for a viper. Spend the $$$ and get the real deal.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that looks real good.............especially for the cost it cost u....0
I think I might just order some and see how it comes out with my skills...lol
Any tips for application? Heat gun, knife????? Thanks

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that looks real good.............especially for the cost it cost u....0
I think I might just order some and see how it comes out with my skills...lol
Any tips for application? Heat gun, knife????? Thanks

For application you will need a heat gun or blow dryer works fine, a sharp razor blade, and a soft tip applicator for the small spaces. It is relatively easy to apply with some patience. The big key is to keep heat on the area you are forming as this product hardens after it cools, and don't cut too close to the edges because it will shrink up when it hardens.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the cup holder bezel from MGW would really finish it off nice.
If you do the bezel and want to get rid of your cigar cup, let me know.
My car didn't come with one, but I think I'd like it for change/dry cleaning tickets/etc.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do the bezel and want to get rid of your cigar cup, let me know.
My car didn't come with one, but I think I'd like it for change/dry cleaning tickets/etc.

I think I may have an extra from my 06. Let me look this weekend and if I do, you can have it. I'll PM you for your address.

Murray

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is awesome, I'm not a fan of real CF on the dash either due to the gloss, I like this look, a lot. Great job. I think I may really consider this a dress up project this spring, looking to freshen the interior a bit, and this seems perfect. Thanks for sharing!!

BTW, how did you start the application process, particular corner or area? Any other tips you have from doing it?

F

FrgMstr

I think it looks better than carbon fiber for that very reason. Nice. :) (I wish it came in something close to GTS Blue)

I agree it looks good but this is very bootleg for a viper. Spend the $$$ and get the real deal.

I have to agree, I think it looks better than the actual CF dashes. I don't know how you guys deal with all that shiny surface right there in the car with you. Maybe you are all coupe guys? ;)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh BTW, I have the MGW stuff (bezels, etc) in the sating (not chrome, I don't like shiney in the cockpit) and it's awesome, matches the stock shifter bezel, and I know it would be incredible with this mod you've done. MGW stuff is top notch, used them for like 10 yrs in my stangs & vipers.

Reaction score
That is awesome, I'm not a fan of real CF on the dash either due to the gloss, I like this look, a lot. Great job. I think I may really consider this a dress up project this spring, looking to freshen the interior a bit, and this seems perfect. Thanks for sharing!!

BTW, how did you start the application process, particular corner or area? Any other tips you have from doing it?

Does not have to be glossy to be real CF ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have other tips for applying the material. Maybe I will post a "how to" when I get the chance. It is very easy to start, just cut a piece about 2 inches larger than you need then just peel and stick! Use your finger tips to smooth all the flat surfaces to make sure there are no bubbles, then begin heating the material with a heat gun and working the soft curves and the edges so that there are no wrinkled or "pinched" areas. Once you have worked one side trim the extra off to about 1/4" from the edge and wrap it tightly around the underside and push it firmly along the edge and underside of the plastic. Make sure to use pleanty of heat and smooth it several times to stretch it a bit, once it cools it tightens up and will shrink to the edges so you may have to rework some areas once this happens.

I would suggest starting with the upper portion of the console with the gauges first as this is much easy and will let you get a better feel for how best works for you before getting to the tricky areas on the lower piece. When you get to the gauge areas just keep heating the surface and run your fingers along the inside of the ring to slowly stretch the material into the hole. Do NOT cut the center of the gauge area until you have it streched and stuck all the way down. once you have the material stretched all the way down into the sunken area, make a small "X" cut in the center and wrap the points around to the back the same way as the outer edges using lots of heat and pressing very firmly. The material works like dough when it is heated enough.

The hardest part by far is the window switch area. This is where you need a soft tip applicator, and a lot of patience.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did some looking aroud , and they have tons of videos in u-tube, how to etc. etc. The material is easy to find on e-bay for cheap. or you can go to your local car wrap place thats what they use. You can do a clear over it, and it looks like carbon fiber. got a chance to see a boat with the material and it had a clear on it. looks like the real thing in person. they have all kinds of colors for it blue, red, yellow, and mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456