Daily Driver Question

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so I belong to a club in Aiken SC. On the local forum I posted that I just bought a 99 Saturn. I thought that most would say that is a decent daily driver so I can get better MPG. Oh no I was very wrong. Mind you that I also have an Expedition that I was using as a daily and now just using to tow. I also have the cars that I use for fun: Viper, Prowler, and Cobra. So when this guy said that a Viper owner should not have a Saturn I was caught off guard.

Do you think t hat I am doing wrong by the Viper community? What are some of your daily drivers. I especially want to know if you own a Saturn ;)

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't use my 02 ACR as a daily driver. That chore goes to a Honda Accord. Oklahoma roads are not known for being the best in the country and you sure know it when you experience it with the suspension of an ACR. I also don't like mixing it up on the road with the uninsured illegals, the stone dropping dumptrucks, and the cellphone talking idiots. At least not on a daily basis. My Viper came too long and hard for me, and is too special to me for that. Everyone in the Viper Nation came together with one common thread, love of the mark. We experience it in many different ways. I don't walk in other's shoes, I walk in mine. I can't and won't judge others in the way they employ and enjoy their Viper or Vipers. I'll accept and appreciate them as they are and ask only the same from them.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive an 03 Hyundai Tiburon and will probably switch to an 03 GMC Envoy... If you have the money to piss away on multiple nice cars then go for it and have a nice daily driver. I love my Tiburon as a daily driver(I'm 19 so I don't look too dorky in it). Wisconsin roads aren't the best, and if I had a super nice daily driver I'd be worried about negative attention.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^ Wow! That is the attitude that I was talking about. I think that I just bring it out in people. 1st off I am not ******* my money away. I have the cars that I want. If I was ******* my money away I would have bought a Tiburon. LOL

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive a 1995 Buick Park Avenue daily. I also have a Ford Super Duty for towing, but it rides stiffer than the Viper!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF you are happy driving what you are driving it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!
My other car is 94 Miata. I catch alot a crap for it until people go for a ride. Then when they drive it they are very surprised about how much fun it is. My Miata is a one of 1200 R Package cars made that year. It also has a few mods. It great on the track and on the street and I love the MPG.
miata-at-bw.JPG
[/IMG]

BTW- I think you misunderstood Limits Post. He is basically agreeing with you that it is okay to have a low budget ****** for a daily driver if you so choose. If on the other hand you have "money to piss away"( his words) on a better ride...go for it!

Last edited:
OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the miata! I had a 92 for a little while and it was one of the most fun cars to drive. Kinda like a go cart for the road. :)

I was just giving Limit a hard time. I did take it the other way at 1st but I see what you are saying.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^ Wow! That is the attitude that I was talking about. I think that I just bring it out in people. 1st off I am not ******* my money away. I have the cars that I want. If I was ******* my money away I would have bought a Tiburon. LOL

...I was actually agreeing with you. I meant that my daily driver suits all of my needs, even if it is a relatively cheap car so I'd rather spend money on toys than on my daily driver. I was saying that if you have the money to do both, then do it. For me, toy>daily driver(as long as the daily driver is fitting the need)

PS: What's wrong with a Tiburon? It's a nice car when you're 16. I've had to spend more money on my Viper in the past 3 months than I have on my Tiburon in 3 years.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought that you were also giving me a hard time, so I was poking back at you. There is nothing wrong with a Tiburon. In fact I would much rather have that then the Saturn. So I will say I am sorry for the comment and we can trade cars. ;) Ok maybe that will not happen but I think that you are doing great for 19 and you seem to have a good head so keep up the great work. :)

viper77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but I only buy American cars. Give me all your excuses for buying forgien, I have heard them all. I am an American and I will NOT put my neighbor out of work. Here in Michigan We would like to Thank ALL YOU AMERICANS FOR PUTTING US OUT OF A JOB. Buy it even if it hurts! I have owned Ford products for 30+ years and have had next to nothing ever go wrong with them and low cost repair when when there is a repair. I JUST DON"T GET IT! Bring it on!!!!!!!!

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
98viperGTS: I see how you took it so I can see how you would get pissed. I should have worded my first post differently.

viper77: Do you feel this way about everything you buy? I'm sure 99% of your clothes are from Asia, as well as almost everything in your house. Do you eat food? Most of that comes from Asia too. I don't want to turn this thread off-topic, but to say we shouldn't buy things from overseas isn't going to work. Our economy and standard of living depends on it.

PS: I try to be an American buyer, but you've also got to be a smart consumer. A lot of people are going to have to change their standard of living if they want America to be self-sufficient again.

B

BurntRubber

I waited 11 years to get my Viper so I will not use it as a daily driver. I currently drive a Ram SRT10 QC for day to day stuff, when the lease is up in a year I will probably hit the auction and pick up a 5 year old accord or camry, pocket the extra money I would have spent on the DD and put it towards a TT system on the Viper.:drive:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is really tough these days to say you only buy American cars, Mazda is over 30% owned by Ford entirely owns Land Rover and Jaguar, GM owns Saab and has manufacturing agreements with Subaru and Toyota, All three of the big USA car cos. manufacture huge numbers of cars in Canada and Mexico for sale inthe USA, additionally they buy tons of parts from foreign distributers and manufactrers.

The traditional idea of what an American car IS has become a very blurred conept, and is more of a marketing idea.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We own a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe, a Ford Ranger pickup...which are both our daily drivers...we don't drive the Viper daily...same as reasons stated...bad roads, bad weather, no time...we treasure our time in that BEAST as often and when we can.
We know a fella who has a Saturn Redline Sky Convertible...LOVES the car...nothing wrong with that! ~juli
If we lived in TEXAS...we'd drive the Viper more daily....lucky Dave!

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i use a BMW 328ic. 168,000 miles and no problems. im going to run it into the ground and then buy the M3.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My old daily driver when I worked for Beckman was a 05 Caravan. I sold my Neon R/T when I got the job.

Now that I don't work for Beckman, I don't have a job or a daily driver...so my new Daily driver is my 01 Viper ACR.

After I get another job, within a month or two I'll pick up a new daily driver. I'm thining S2000,Evo,STi or GTO 6.0

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use a BMW 328ic. 168,000 miles and no problems. im going to run it into the ground and then buy the M3.

LOVE the 3-series, Jay!! That's great with the 328's high mileage and going strong! My 'performance Alero' :)lmao: ) has had no problems, the sporty look is to die for :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !
~juli

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daily driver = '91 Miata. Fun to drive at city-legal speeds. Driving the Viper in a bog-slow commute is just a waste !

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so I belong to a club in Aiken SC. On the local forum I posted that I just bought a 99 Saturn. I thought that most would say that is a decent daily driver so I can get better MPG. Oh no I was very wrong. Mind you that I also have an Expedition that I was using as a daily and now just using to tow. I also have the cars that I use for fun: Viper, Prowler, and Cobra. So when this guy said that a Viper owner should not have a Saturn I was caught off guard.

Do you think t hat I am doing wrong by the Viper community? What are some of your daily drivers. I especially want to know if you own a Saturn ;)

Yeah, I have two saturns in addition to my viper, I'd drive my viper everyday if I had too, but the saturns are virtually free to drive except for gas. They are super easy to work on and parts are cheap for it. My 96 has 188k miles on it. Who cares what other people think, you own a viper that's all that matters here.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I have two saturns in addition to my viper, I'd drive my viper everyday if I had too, but the saturns are virtually free to drive except for gas. They are super easy to work on and parts are cheap for it. My 96 has 188k miles on it. Who cares what other people think, you own a viper that's all that matters here.

Yep, I have a real POS rusty 1992 Nissan Sentra with 59K miles to drive to Walmart and places where the Viper would draw too much attention. It's always funny to me when people look at me in the Nissan as if I'm a loser. Who cares, though, since I have the Viper at home. I'll probaby get a better ****** someday, though.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1st car was a 91' GrandAm. I then bought a 98' Eclipse Spyder and riced it out and made it my show car/semi-DD (I still drove the GrandAm in bad weather and to work most of the time). The GrandAm died earlier this year, so now the Eclipse is the full-time DD.