Daily driving... How safe?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been asked a question about the safety of a Gen 3/4 Viper. I do not really know how to answer that? I have searched, but I have not found one being saftey tested (front/side impact, etc.) Does anyone know any information? I know it is fairly heavy for a small car and that the frame is well constructed, but I just could not give a good answer...

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone ask such a question? Are they buying the car only on that criteria? There are probably some bargains on used M60 tanks! Safe but creature comforts and fun to drive - not so much. If safety were the only reason I drove a Viper, I would need to be committed - on so many levels. Just ask my wife - she says I am unsafe at any speed!

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the nutjob is the driver on the phone that turns out in front of you or runs a redlight and T-bones you...

Peter, that is exactly the reason for the question. That happened to a student of mine a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately he was in a twin cab Silverado truck when he was T-boned by a full 1 ton truck. It flipped 5 times. He got beat up pretty bad, but is hopeful for a full recovery. His son in the passenger seat was virtually unharmed as each tumble the truck flipped and landed on the driver's side top.

I was hoping I would get some more discussion about the Viper's safety construction, but apparently a safety question is not important and/or just not a question a "real Viper man" would ask. :dunno: I know there are a lot of people on this board with good knowledge of this, but... :dunno:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine daily.... I have not had any concerns, but then I have not had anyone t-Bone me...... I imagine it's fairly safe considering is weight, the airbags.... good brakes.......

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I swear, someday the people of this ***** country are gonna be afraid to step outside their house.

^^This^^. Yes, remove all sharp objects from your person, walk (don't run, you might fall),to the nearest Mercedes dealer, and buy the car that applies the brakes for you if you are too stupid to not follow too closely, warns you if you are too stupid or lazy to check your mirrors before changing lanes, and wakes you up if you fall asleep driving.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol...viper is as safe as the tires. at 3400 pounds it aiint no miata

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calling us immature and then coming with the ole' this guy could kick your ass in real life line. THAT is funny to me.

YOU own a Gen 3 don't you? The guy is asking you cause you own one and prob have an opinion on the matter. Do you think your car is safe?

As for your question, do you really think the car would be allowed on the road if it was unsafe?? All the cars have to meet crash standards. How quickly you get into one of those crashes depends on the person behind the wheel.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I bet none of you guys would get into a ring with this person I am getting the answer for. GUARANTEED!!!

Well if it is the same one worried about the crash safety of a car that had to pass federally mandated crash testing...I hope he's using 20 oz gloves cause geez, someone could get hurt:omg:

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly what kind of answer are you looking for?

A car is only as safe as both the person behind the wheel and the other people on the road. Crash test info while interesting is still fairly useless. I could have a 5 star frontal impact crash rating, but when the 18 wheeler runs over me it doesn't make much of a difference.

You've been on the site for a while, you have read about all the crashes, and it seems that almost 50/50 as to whether the driver lives or dies. This is mostly dependent on if the driver was excessively speeding or not, wearing his/her seatbelt, and what they hit.

The one thing to be said is without the nannies, the car won't save you from yourself ... if you are used to mashing the pedal on a import 4 cyl while making a left turn, you're gonna end up in a world of hurt in the viper.

If you want more, look at the track accidents....cars flipped, hit walls at 100 mph and the drivers walk away.

None of this means anything to answer you question which is far to vague. To sum it up, the viper is a car of extremes ... from the posts I have seen it protects the occupants very well from your typical accidents, but being a vehicle of extremes many of the accidents are far from typical.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOU own a Gen 3 don't you? The guy is asking you cause you own one and prob have an opinion on the matter. Do you think your car is safe?

As for your question, do you really think the car would be allowed on the road if it was unsafe?? All the cars have to meet crash standards. How quickly you get into one of those crashes depends on the person behind the wheel.

Yes, I own a Gen 3. However, I am no expert on the safety of the car otherwise I would never made this thread. GTSR was nice enough to point me a site that helped. I was just simply looking for more information than what I knew. I know there are people on here with better information and I was seeking their help by asking the question. I will just tell him my opinion, show him what GTSR's link has to say, and let him know few on the VCA board really care about his question other than to make fun of it. I'm sure that will make a positive impression on him if he buys a Viper and is thinking about joining the VCA.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly what kind of answer are you looking for?

A car is only as safe as both the person behind the wheel and the other people on the road. Crash test info while interesting is still fairly useless. I could have a 5 star frontal impact crash rating, but when the 18 wheeler runs over me it doesn't make much of a difference.

You've been on the site for a while, you have read about all the crashes, and it seems that almost 50/50 as to whether the driver lives or dies. This is mostly dependent on if the driver was excessively speeding or not, wearing his/her seatbelt, and what they hit.

The one thing to be said is without the nannies, the car won't save you from yourself ... if you are used to mashing the pedal on a import 4 cyl while making a left turn, you're gonna end up in a world of hurt in the viper.

If you want more, look at the track accidents....cars flipped, hit walls at 100 mph and the drivers walk away.

None of this means anything to answer you question which is far to vague. To sum it up, the viper is a car of extremes ... from the posts I have seen it protects the occupants very well from your typical accidents, but being a vehicle of extremes many of the accidents are far from typical.

Thanks Viper067. That's a good answer. I was really specifically inquiring about the construction of the car and what about that makes it safe. Say, as compared maybe to the construction of a Vette. Thanks again--your comments make a lot of sense. Well, off to work now. Everyone have a great day!

VIPERBARON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several Youtube video's out there of actual Viper crashes, if you want to see how well it does or doesn't do. Most reflect operator error.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Viper067. That's a good answer. I was really specifically inquiring about the construction of the car and what about that makes it safe. Say, as compared maybe to the construction of a Vette. Thanks again--your comments make a lot of sense. Well, off to work now. Everyone have a great day!

Unfortunately there haven't been any controlled crash tests on the Viper ... probably due to the small production numbers

I would think safety would be pretty comparable to the Vette from a crash test point of view, but the Vette does have the "safety features" known as nannies....

I would think perhaps if you asked the grailkeeper, he might be able to dig up some analytical safety information

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swear, someday the people of this ***** country are gonna be afraid to step outside their house.

AGREE especially in Dec. 2012 when all the weirdos think the earth will end. Markets may crash and crime will sky rocket. Want to make a fortune? Sell gas masks etc. on flea bay next year noting the occasion.

Johnbennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will personally vouch for the 2008 year. I was driving my 2008 ACR and minding my own business. I was cut off on the freeway, hit a pole, rolled 2 times down an embankment, totaled the car, and walked away from it unhurt in any way. Not even really that sore the next few days.

The top was scratched but did not have a dent (I hit the dirt embankment, not cement) One of the rear tires (huge) was 20' from the car and the wing was separated completely. Luckily my insurance company came through and I bought the same exact ACR (red/black) in the 2009 model. (Thanks, Ben Keating!)

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will personally vouch for the 2008 year. I was driving my 2008 ACR and minding my own business. I was cut off on the freeway, hit a pole, rolled 2 times down an embankment, totaled the car, and walked away from it unhurt in any way. Not even really that sore the next few days.

The top was scratched but did not have a dent (I hit the dirt embankment, not cement) One of the rear tires (huge) was 20' from the car and the wing was separated completely. Luckily my insurance company came through and I bought the same exact ACR (red/black) in the 2009 model. (Thanks, Ben Keating!)

Thanks for sharing your story, John. Glad you are ok!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang