Daniel, I'm curious about the Pro-Racer Flash Tuning Software for Viper & Ram SRT-10

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't seen it advertised elsewhere and I'm not sure if I'm reading your explanation correctly. Does it actually allow you to program the stock engine controller from the laptop? What are the parameters and limitations of this? Is it limited to NA applications or can it handle forced induction as well?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Daniel, I'm curious about the Pro-Racer Flash Tuning Software for Viper & Ram SRT

I haven't seen it advertised elsewhere and I'm not sure if I'm reading your explanation correctly. Does it actually allow you to program the stock engine controller from the laptop? What are the parameters and limitations of this? Is it limited to NA applications or can it handle forced induction as well?

-Technically, it does program via a laptop, yes. However, it does require the flash handheld as the mode of transportation and installation for the laptop written tune into the car.

-Parameters include virtually every single adjustable element of the controller, from fuel (closed loop, Baro, part throttle, WOT, IAT correction....etc), spark, idle, cooling, hardware controllers, diagnostics, etc. There are hundreds of tables and thousands of parameters.

-It can directly tune NA applications, and can be used in FI "piggyback" applications very effectively, such as cars using VEC's and Paxton cars using FMU's and SplitSecs. The system *is* capable of tuning an FI system directly, though it would require an extremely good grasp of the system, as the inputs and outputs would be mis-labled on the tables. For example, load tables are all listed in Vacuum, with a 2-bar map, half of the table would then be boost, half vacuum- even though it isnt labled as such- It can and has been done. However, the results of using a VEC-3 in a single dimension to pull timing/add boost once the SCT completely and correctly re-maps all engine functions, works PERFECTLY. They complement each other very well, and eliminate some of the nagging VEC issues with large injectors, slow response, closed loop, boost transisions, etc and make the system very smooth. I have personally used the SCT to control an engine that had literally had nothing in common with the original engine other than 10 cylinders, and the SCT also directly controlled (w/ P&H Driver) 1000cc injectors in all vacuum conditions. One re-mapped, the car runs like stock, has no driveability issues whatsoever, and employs a VEC-3 to simply remove timing and add fuel under boost, it does nothing else. Nothing in vacuum, no injector scaling, no offsets, etc. VEC problems have arisen when trying to overwork the system, but not when done in this configuration.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Daniel, I'm curious about the Pro-Racer Flash Tuning Software for Viper & Ram SRT

what can it do with a paxton car with a split second ? wouldn't the SS do everything ?

OP
OP
K

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

So on an NA car it can do full fuel and spark curves? That kind of gets rid of the need for a VEC or AEM on an NA car if this can do everything that they can do.

Sounds like an AEM is still the ultimate solution on an FI car though.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

what can it do with a paxton car with a split second ? wouldn't the SS do everything ?

Split Sec does not fuel curve tuning on the Paxton SS/FMU App, only timing. It would be limited to Open Loop Adjustments even it it did, like the VEC-3. The SCT can do fuel curve tuning, both open and closed loop conditions, part and wide open throttle, including Baro and all temp multipliers. Also, for engines changed with heads and cams as well as Blowers, the SCT can re-write the engines base fuel maps, which becomes increasingly important for smooth operation as the mod list grows.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

So on an NA car it can do full fuel and spark curves? That kind of gets rid of the need for a VEC or AEM on an NA car if this can do everything that they can do.

Sounds like an AEM is still the ultimate solution on an FI car though.

Yes. Even on an FI car, it can still re-write the base fuel/timing maps and create a CORRECT fuel map for the modified for which to build upon and add fuel to/remove timing from.

The AEM Vs. SCT debate is a good one. They both have their ups and downs, and both can do things the other cannot:

SCT Advantages:
-OBD-2 Compatible, a MUST for Plug-In Inspection States
-Diagnostic Functions in tact (Check Engine Lights still work, and can be adjusted)
-OEM Quality, No Install Required, No extra wiring
-Compatible with OEM Bus Communications
-Capable of controlling an Automatic Transmission and other accessories inherent to JTEC controllers.
-Cost advantage utilizing your current controller

SCT Disadvantages:
-More Difficult to tune for boost currently
-No Boost Control
-No Wideband (Though this has its plusses and minusus on its own)

AEM Advantages:
-Boost Control and easier Boost Capability
-Gear-Based Boost Control
-Wideband Included

AEM Disadvantages:
-Complex installation from a "redundant wiring" standpoint, more likely to have wiring issues.
-Not OBD-2 Compaticle
-Not Bus Compatible
-No Internal Fault Finding
-OEM PCM must be retained for Bus communications
-Cost is higher

Its all in what you want. Personally, I lean towards the SCT/VEC3 combo at this point.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SCT Disadvantages:

-No Wideband (Though this has its plusses and minusus on its own)

Looks like the SCT LiveWire I posted in my other thread in this section will measure both A/F and boost, and hopefully more. :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Looks like the SCT LiveWire I posted in my other thread in this section will measure both A/F and boost, and hopefully more. :)

You have to read the fine print, neither feature is "included" and requires external input from another source in order to display that information, no different than the current setup configured with a Laptop and LiveLink. The XCal2 used currently will be able to datalog to a laptop far faster than anything currently available once the LiveLink software becomes available for DCX, and will have the same capabilities as the LiveWire. I would not expect a LiveWire product anytime soon, if ever, due to the reasons posted in your other thread.