Dealer Fraud Question

GATOR SERPENT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently posted about a cut wire that I felt was cut by a mechanic to "fix" a problem with my battery discharge light. I had the car in for Arrow Rebuild and he apparently arked the alternator without disconnecting the battery when trying to solve the problem. A viper tech checked it out and confirmed and said he fried the warning module? behind the dash.

I put 700 miles on the car before finding the cut wire. The dealer has called to tell me the mechanic has ADMITTED to cutting the wire and they will pay to have it fixed. My question is, should I ask them to put it in writing in case something else shows up damaged from this? I am so glad I get to drive 45 minutes each way 4 times to get this fixed. Each time getting a ride from someone. I am a little PO'd for obvious reasons. Bought a battery when I did not need one either. Any thoughts on how you would handle this?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this deserves more thought, but, here are a couple initial thoughts;

-totally agree you should get it in writing if possible
-think about getting it repaired at another dealership, hopefully one with good references from Viper owners - VCA members
-speak to the service manager and see if they will compensate you for reasonable costs you are out of pocket (go easy on them, but get some fair compensation - with the objective of getting something without pursuing this on and on). Example, they should pay for your battery you bought which was not necessary, as long as that spoof was a direct result of what their mechanic did..
-if you must deal with them, the least they could do is give you a free loaner car so you don't have to get someone else to give you rides...

Tomer

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is it fraud if the admit the mistake and offer to fix it?

I agree w/ Adam.

Demand a work order AFTER the repair "I keep meticulous records"

And dont scare them off of (finally) doing the right thing.

-you've got mail-

OP
OP
G

GATOR SERPENT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always understood fraud to be an "act of intent to harm and deceive with knowledge" etc. They did not admit it until a viper tech confirmed it. My only concern is for future harm to the car caused by this act, IF any potential exists. The dealer said they may have to fire the person and I told the dealer, I would prefer that not happen. People make mistakes and this is a tough time for people to be out of a job. I just want to make sure I am covered. (I will check email from JohnB) Points are well taken and appreciated. I agree keeping good records is very important and I always have. I treat my car like gold and I want to keep it that way.