dealer not covering failed e-brake

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok here's my rant,
I don't drive american cars (daily drivers) because of the crap service and reliability if experienced. The dealerships and there attitude **** as well.
I have had my srt-10 for 2 years now and i hear a metal on metal rubbing sound from the rear breaks. I take it in and the dealer says, "you drove with the e-brake on. Dodge does not cover brakes and rotors after 12 months no dice pal!"
I call up chrysler corp. and tell them this dealer is in la,la land, no way would i drive with the e-brake on etc....... The cause is a failure of the e-brake system and that is why the pads and rotor are toast i tell them. 1 week passes with no word from corp. I left 5 messages no call backs, dealer is saying were waiting on there word.
Bottom line is the dealer made a statement of fact (with no basis or proof) that i was the cause of the damage and i drove with the e-brake on)
So bottom line is dodge is not covering 1 rotor and 2 pads Approx: $800 dealer says to fix.
Where can i send letter of discontent too please!!! I will never use northstar dodge is san antonio for anything ever again- assH@#es!!
_marc

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need to contact your local region and find out a dealer that's honestly interested in servicing club members and owners in general. We're lucky to have several in our area that make Viper ownership and service a far better experience that what you're enduring.

You shouldn't have to go through DC to get things like this resolved. Your dealer should be on the phone fighting for you!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all you replace is the pads and the rotor, and there is indeed a problem with the e-brake system, expect the same results again!

Do you or a friend have some way to lift the car and investigate that area - the e-brake system at the rear of the car?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all you replace is the pads and the rotor, and there is indeed a problem with the e-brake system, expect the same results again!

agreed. If only one rotor went bad I would look to that side for the problem. Seems like that side wasn't releasing but the other side was.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you can waste a lot of time going back and forth with the dealer or talk to JonB and see if you can work out a deal on a rotor and some pads. May be able to do it for around $200.

Most likely the e-brake cable was adjusted too tight. But in the end they will still blame it on you.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look infront of the warranty manual they warrant brakes, clutch disk and various wear items for only 1 year

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT, if it's only one side, this was 100% a factory defect. Could be considered a SAFETY defect, which might get a lawyers attention. Premature failure of the brakes due to improper adjustment from the factory...

Leaving the E-brake on while driving would cause both sides to fry, if adjusted correctly.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you look infront of the warranty manual they warrant brakes, clutch disk and various wear items for only 1 year

B.S.!!! This is not a normal 'wear and tear' issue due to the fact that only one side is worn. It is a malfunction of a component/system and should be repaired under the 3/36 or an extended warranty.

I filed a complaint/issue with DC three years ago and they still haven't called me back.

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
here's an update:
dodge says no go.. even the regional rep said i can't help.
Both sides were worn down but only left side damaged the rotor on the inside portion.
I agree that if not diagnosed the problem will occur again and told dealer that this will happen again if we just put a new rotor and pad on it again.
the dealers respose was " system is working fine (engaging and disengaging), We reccomend you check brakes every week to see if it continues after replacement of said parts"
The nice thing is after talking with the service mgr. he said he would to all the work for 1/2 the original price , so it knocks it down to $400 even.
i'm still worried that the problem is not addressed properly and will happen again!
still an extremely dissapointing display of commom sense and customer care on corporate's side of things though.

to be continued I fear!
-Marc

BTW; my buddy who owns a 360 challege stradale told me today he had a similar situation occur on his car as well and ferrari made him pay almost 1/2 of the bill...........It was over 4k -DAMN!!!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge customer service is good for one thing......answering the phone and being of no use at all. Oh wait, thats 2 things. I've called them twice and each time been told "each dealership is independently owned, there's nothing we can do. Have a nice day"

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks JonB for your help on the phone yesterday. And THANKS for the 3:55 gears!!!!
Gonna have ART in Buda ,texas install them next week!
This should keep my mind off the crappy service dodge corp. gave me!
-Marc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62