Dealer tools

Discussion in 'General Viper Discussion' started by MoparMap, Jun 20, 2019.

1. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

I have a question regarding some of the dealer (Miller) tools. I've been slowing adding to my collection as I have no intention of selling my car in the future and I've found having the actual real tools makes jobs way easier. That being said, I'm having some confusion between some of the tools. I went through my 04 service manual and pulled out all the tools mentioned into a spreadsheet and started looking for them online to see what what out there. The biggest question I have is the caster alignment brackets. In the service manual it calls out 8995 and 8996 as the tools for my 04, but in searching I've also found kit 6990, which includes alignment tools and the bushing remover/installer set. However, within this tool set the caster brackets are called out as 6915 and 6916. To my eyes they look the same, but I wasn't sure if there was something else going on. Any ideas why the different numbers? It looks like all the tools in the kit start with 69XX, so wondering if it's as simple as trying to keep a naming convention. Getting it all together as one would make for a tidy toolbox if they really are the same thing.

2. Graysnake00

Graysnake00 Enthusiast

I am collecting special tools too for my car as I don't plan to part ways with it any time soon. I had looked at the 6990 kit for servicing my 2000 GTS but realized that not having a DRBIII scan tool, I cannot use the inclinometers. The only tools that would be useful for me were the front and rear caster alignment brackets and maybe the bushing removal tool. The 6915 and 6916 are the caster brackets that are called out in my service manual for my Gen II. I can only assume that they made some minor changes to the suspension and the Gen II brackets don't fit on your Gen III hence the part number difference.

I was able to pick up both 6915 and both 6916 brackets for less than $50 on Ebay. I also bought an inclinometer off of Amazon for around $35 and I'm thinking that I can zip-tie it to the caster brackets and read the angles.

3. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

Yeah, I don't have the DRBIII either, but was thinking the inclinometers are just electronic sensors, so if I could figure out how they are wired I bet I could get a reading out of them. Would be awesome to have a datasheet, but guessing that won't be as easy to come by. By my guess they are just a powered sensor that probably gets something like 5 or 12V input voltage and is either going to be 0-5V output or 4-20mA. That seems to be fairly standard in the sensor world from what I've seen. Would like to get my hands on some to play with them as they are "cheap" enough in those kits, but don't want to get a kit to find out it won't work with my generation.