Deleting a Post Problem

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to delete a post I made and it said only forum leaders can delete posts. I thought we could delete our own post?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. BUT, what about the issue of the originating poster deleting an entire message thread that could have gone 5 'raging pages'? I kiddingly threatened to do this and mayhem broke loose.

OP
OP
V

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I asked a very simple question and was given the 3rd degree rather than a simple answer.

It could have been said very simply - (something like)

We changed the way a post can be deleted. If you want it deleted please ask a moderator to do so.

Wasn't this a little better than the above reply?

OP
OP
V

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, thanks for the explanation. I now understand now.

My vote would be if I started the thread - I should have to right to at least eliminate my part of the thread. If the remaining part of the post needs to stay - so be it. If it is deleted that's ok too.

I just thought there was something wrong with the system. I had deleted my posts in the past and wondered why it wouldn't let me do it this time.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely do not want other members to be able to delete what I have posted. I think it is completely wrong for someone to think that they own a therad just because they started it. So I do not want the orginator of a thread to be able to delete the whole thread.

Think about a normal conversation in a room. Someone may bring up a subject and others join in, the conversation takes on a life of its own. Would you consider it normal for the person who brought up the subject to say "OK that's enough now, everyone talk about something else!"

I don't really have a problem with people being able to delete what they posted. But I am not sure how that is really different from deleting all the text. I see a place holder for the deleted post to be a good thing. It lets others know what happened. Much like the automatic notice that occurs when someone edits their post. Both of these help prevent the "what the hell happened here" issue. Information is a good thing!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 01-22-2002 at 12:33 PM</font>

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I vote that a Member has the ability to delete their own post

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery