Diagnose this: busticated trans mount?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headed out to a car & bike show today and got into it on a 1-2 shift and the shifter violently vibrated to where it threw my hand off. Here's a vid, as best I could get from inside, I didn't want to do this but one more time as it's crazy nasty.

My last viper essentially chewed up the stock mounts and I put in woodhouse mounts, but it was never this bad stock, this is like something is ready to fly apart. Check the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qQV8ooLZEM

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not yet, after the car show I got home to catch the game with my son. Feels like the trans mount is like cOmpletely gone or something.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went a head & ordered a woodhouse trans mount anyway, still haven't gotten under it, but figured I loved it on the 03, so for $40 might as well go ahead on that anyway.

I know the Gen3's were pretty common on chewing up the trans and motor mounts, when I changed mine on my 03 they were shreded. Not sure if the Gen4's have the same thing going on or not. I guess I'll see.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes, that was rough. If you need help changing the tranny mount, it is very easy and I could help if needed (did it on my car). If the engine mounts are bad.... I don't know if I'd ever volunteer to do that nightmare again. Good luck Dave!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think it is a good idea changing the trany mount without changing the engine mount. You should seriously consider doing both together.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I changed my tranny mount to the woodhouse mount and like the feel but couldnt stand the vibration, Car is on lift as we speak and switching back to the factory mount. I thought I had a broken tranny mount thats why i ordered it, but found out it was a broken engine mount. So going back to stock for now.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow,does it only do that under a hard romp? dam thats horrible, most of the time on a broken trans mount,the shifter will rise up on a hard romp,never seen a crazy shake like that

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, only on a hard, tires breaking lose & wheel hop situation, otherwise it feels normal. In my 03 I had some good stick slap going on, which you can see in this old drag video of mine, this is before I put in the woodhouse mounts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Hh_s647v0

This on the 08 is twice as violent at least, feels like I lost all the mounts or something, with work & life I still haven't gotten in my garage let alone to look at this, argh. Hopefully tonight I can at least check the motor mounts. Maybe it's her way of trying to get my attention, which she's certainly done, I'm already building a list of touch-ups: like all fluid services, etc. just to give her some TLC & double check everything. I'm just glad it was on a simple cruise to a car show & not at the track, that would've been a real bummer. Sounds like the mounts on the Gen4's are "chewable" by these cars like the Gen3's. My Gen3 went thru the stockers in 12K miles, the woodhouse mounts defintiely solved those problems, but they due transmit a lot of NVH into the cabin for sure, which is why I was thinking to do the trans woodhouse with new factory engine mounts, so I don't get crazy vibe again. Are all the mounts in the ACR the same as a regular Viper? Wondering if Dodge has a beefier mount that's not as beefy/viby as the woodhouse?

Dave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Masterofzen