Did you buy your Viper sight unseen?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really because I was too excited! I found mine on the internet in Texas. I flew down from NJ to check it out and everything was fine. We signed all the papers and took care of payment and then three months later; after the snow and salt disappeared, it was on a Horseless Carriage truck to me.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Bought mine sight unseen. I was in the market for a B&W so I kept an eye on the internet. Saw the ad in the VCA classifieds one night. The next morning I called the seller around 10:00 am and asked him some questions about the car. He was the original owner and was only about 70 miles away. We agreed on the price over the phone. By 1:00 pm that same day I handed him a cashier's check and he handed me the pink slip. :cool: Drove home grinning ear to ear. :D

At 6:00 pm my wife pulled into the driveway and hit the garage door opener and saw a strange Blue & White car sitting in the garage. The rest is history.... :D

I was lucky! :2tu: ...... (that I have an understanding wife....and a great car) :D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my first one from a small exotic car dealership called Daniel Schmitt in St. Louis off ebay. Thought I would be safer buying from a dealership that had more to lose than an individual if I gave them bad feedback. They had a really good feedback rating. What I didn't think about was that I actually didn't buy the car through ebay because I made them an offer lower than the buy it now which they took so they just took it off ebay and sold it to me directly. That was a bad thing because I wasn't that happy with the way they advertised the car's condition like tires being worn out, surface scratches in paint, some minor things that didn't work and the car wasn't even detailed out when I picked it up. (Their idea of a detail was a car wash.) Anyways since I hadn't really gone through ebay I couldn't leave them bad feedback so they didn't really care. The salesman was really cool but the owner basically told me to f*** off when I brought up the problems.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought mine with out ever seeing it . Talked to the guy from North Carolina over the phone. He said the Car was just like it would have been day one . Told me he would buy it back if it wasnt . So I wired him the money and had it shipped up . Couldn't be happier ever since.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine from DodgeVipersforsale.com. After talking to Marvin Rose, the owner, and seeing several pics I had a good feeling about the deal and pulled the trigger. I have never bought a used car that was so imaculate. Would buy again from him again.

This is my EXACT story! My Viper was Beautiful!!! The experience from Marv and Nathan was Top Notch! I would buy from them again sight unseen with no worries.

As a matter of fact my avatar is one of the pics from Marv's place that was posted on the site when I bought the car over the telephone!

One year later I moved from AL to WA. I drove through CA and got to visit Marv's shop with only him there. We chatted and I got the tour of the VIPER DEN!!! It is one impressive place to see if you ever get the chance! Tons of Vipers!!!

Jason :2tu: :usa:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you buy your Viper sight unseen?

Sort of. The owner lived 280 miles away. I found it listed right here in the VCA classifieds and he sent me enough pics that I pretty much knew the condition it was in (immaculate) before I drove over to pick it up.

We closed the deal over the phone based on the pics and the car's history but I did get to take it on a 1 mile test drive before I handed him the cashiers check.

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of the cars we sell are bought sight unseen. I have shipped several cars out of the country to no avail no problems. You have many, many conversations, many, many e-mails and pictures, describe everything about the car whether good or bad and everyone is happy. Especially when you are dealing with Bill P. or dodgevipersforsale (Nathan or Marv), all quality dealers and honest people. That's very important and they all follow up from what I have heard to make sure it is all good.Plus they take the time to explain the cars and years and the experience of driving a Viper. Good Luck Frank!

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO! Too important a decision for my son and I. Frankly, I wasn't sure I was going to get one the day I saw it, but my son and I fell in love with it when we took one look. This was by all means the easiest car I've ever gotten.........Thanks Buhler! :2tu:

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another satisfied sight unseen Viper purchaser. Never thought i would but quickly found that with so few cars locally, i would have to trust the owner. Bought the car from Perkins Dodge in Colorodo and they were great to work with. Posted photos of the car from every perspective and the car turned out to exceed my expectations.
Pavenom
2000 RT/10 :cool:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I drove 1310 miles r/t to Albany a month ago to see car in person, looking inside wheelwells and underhood etc for signs of paint overspray and any other things not as they should be.

Car was GREAT! Cleanest used (2323 miles) Viper I have ever seen.

If the dealer would have been more patient, and the weather gotten warmer-sooner, I could have rented a Herz/Avis car one way MI to NY for $100, and driven the ACR home. Saving over $700 in shipping after allowing for the car rental and gas.

Ah well, it's here now! :D

Made me a bit uneasy buying a Viper I hadn't driven first.. Still haven't actually driven it yet :(

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine from a broker in Cincinnati, but had a chance to see it in person, drive it, get a bit more educated, etc, on Vipers. I would now buy one from him sight unseen, and from what I have seen on this board, Woodhouse and Tator Dodge would also fall in that catagory. Now, let me tell you that I looked at a couple of Vipers at a well known dealer in the Columbus, OH area,(this was about 8 years ago or so) and they were absolutely trashed by their previous owners, things like wheel dings (very big and bad ones), broken and or dented side pipe covers, doors with hinge marks that broke through the skin of the doors, window bayonet scratch marks right down the side of the doors, etc. I could not believe that the original owners would treat their cars in this manner, so you have to know who you are dealing with, and you can't go wrong with Woodhouse or Tator, they have built a great reputation in Viperworld by being as fair and honest as you can possibly be. From what I remember seeing and hearing about Woodhouse and Tator, if you are not completely satisfied with the car on delivery (to your door), they will put it back on the trailer, and you will get your money back! That is the kind of dealership you want to work with.

Dave149

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup. Sight unseen from a VCA member after a Viper Tech inspected it. A little nerve racking since I'm in Canada and the car was in the US. We made a deal over the phone, and I wired him the money. I showed up 3 days later and luckily he was there with the car. I loaded it on my trailer and was on my way with a big smile.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO! Too important a decision for my son and I. Frankly, I wasn't sure I was going to get one the day I saw it, but my son and I fell in love with it when we took one look. This was by all means the easiest car I've ever gotten.........Thanks Buhler! :2tu:

Ah, purchased from Buhler. I thought the car looks familar. I love the way you stated your "son and I". How true that must have been! My younger brother is the SAME way.

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew nothing about Vipers!I did know I wanted a Yellow one. I called Bill P. as was suggested. He had one and he said it had Motons, like I knew what those were. About 3 days later I was in Viper heaven........but what is it like without those Motons , Bill? When the doors to the truck opened and I saw my Viper .it was love at first sight. Thank you!!!!!!! sandy g.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also add that when i bought mine sightunseen it really was site unseen totally. I had never even sat in a viper. When i was about 15 yrs old i saw a Blue and white GTS in a movie parking lot and that was it! The only other time i saw one was when i was cruising in my Mustang on the highway one pulled up next to me and smoked me lol

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My previous '97 B/W GTS and current '06 Blue/Silver coupe were both purchased sight unseen. Kinda scary when you think about it, but if you are buying from Bill don't sweat it.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I stopped to see my GTS on the way back from the ALMS race at Laguna Seca back in October. The seller stored it in his hangar and as he pulled the cover off I about melted right there. He flew me back a couple weeks later and I drove it home to Tucson, my first drive in a Viper ever. What a great experience!

Rob

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought mine sight unseen from Marv Rose in Fresno (as has been mentioned above, his website is DodgeVipersforsale.com). He was shipping it out from somewhere in either FL or OH, don't recall now exactly which it was. There were delays in the shipment, so it did come in about two weeks later than he expected, but he went over it, and I had the right to refuse it if it wasn't up to *****. It was fine, albeit I failed to notice the soft top had holes in it, and, as was Marv's right, he didn't really want to help me with it once I did note the soft top was trashed, since I had accepted the car. So, it is imperative that you completely inspect any car purchased in this way, of course.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I committed to buy mine (ebay) and paid a deposit of $1,000 but didn't pay the balance until I traveled 800 miles to inspect/drive it first. No surprises.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the first one new, but the other two I went over and under with a fine tooth comb. I still don't think I could buy a used car w/o inspecting it in person.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought sight unseen from Bill Pemberton. Bill went out of his way to make me happy and address a few issues that cropped up. My next Viper will be from him as well.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought sight unseen from Bill Pemberton. Bill went out of his way to make me happy and address a few issues that cropped up. My next Viper will be from him as well.
Yes, I am hoping Bill finds me one. He is one of the few guys I feel is as anal as I am. :2tu:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought mine sight unseen from john elway dodge in denver during the summer of 2001. it had 52 miles on it when i picked it up. i drove it home 1000 miles

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a good idea. I looked at several before deciding on the ONE. Then, got all kinds of advice on my car (THANKS TATOR!!) before making the decision. Then, looked the car over very carefully on a lift.

Had I pulled the trigger on my first impulse, I would have been very dissapointed. After the Ebay auction ended (Reserve not met), I went up to see the car. "Spider" cracks in the paint all around. Very dissapointing!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sight unseen. Purchased mine from Naples last March. Great experience. They were a pleasure to deal with. I had the car double and triple inspected. I had the option of shipping the car back for a refund if I was not happy with it. Would I do it again? NO. While I had a good experience, I felt I had taken a big gamble. I was nervous during the whole process and I was a wreck up until the car arrived. Something about handing a check over without receiving the unseen collateral for a while doesn't sit well with me. Naples was great, would buy from them again but regardless of who I buy from next time, I will be doing so in-person.

- Tony

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave