Do I keep the Viper ?

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I posted my Copperhead (reluctantly) for sale this week. I have had a few calls/emails.... but, I can tell you that hands down, the Viper is the most fun/exciting/enjoyable car to drive. And, it's just flat fun saying I own a Viper. It's my second Viper and really love it - Copperhead #284. So, here is what I posted......

Once again, I am forced with a very tough decision to sell some of my cars. Two reasons - 1)Money 2)Simplification. Number 2 is more important in my way too busy 5 kids life.

I have asked a number of people who's opinion I respect, which ones to sell.

67 Firebird 400 I have owned since 1979
66 Pontiac 2+2, 421 4 speed Convertible
2005 Copperhead Viper - 800 miles
2001 Prowler, Prowler Orange Pearlcoat

As you might imagine, I got all kinds of responses. All Valid. Keep the old, keep the new, keep one of each etc. It boils down to this for me: Forget investment, forget sentimental value etc, which ones get driven and enjoyed the most. My wife has stayed out of this only to guide me to: "We need the money in the cars and you spend too much time with them". SO last evening as I had them all out trying to decide, she walks up to the Prowler and says; " I still like this one, I can drive it".

I almost had her driving the Viper this evening - she can drive a six speed and I know ther are lots of women on this site.... she is scared because there was a kid killed in a viper here a few years back and of course she has seen other statistics.... but I was trying to show her if you drive it like a normal car it is docile and there is no worry...

OK - so what would you do ? Sell the old ones ? sell the new ? One of each ? As tough as it is, I am leaning towards keeping the Viper and Prowler.... Of course the best color on the new Challenger is Orange so I should just sell the Pontiacs and get one of those ...... Advice ?

Regards,

John

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tough one John.

I would say to get rid of the pontiac and prowler personally due to the sentimental value of the firebird and the fact that the Viper is more usable than the Prowler IMO.

Keep the firebird for your kids.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, those are some great cars. Too good to let go of.

But I know a guy that will pay good money for the kids. I can also find work for the wife.

But giving up any of those cars? I couldn't do it.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tough one John.

I would say to get rid of the pontiac and prowler personally due to the sentimental value of the firebird and the fact that the Viper is more usable than the Prowler IMO.

Keep the firebird for your kids.

i second this

&

:needpics:

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the Viper can be a very safe car if driven right, but that being said I would be scared to let my wife drive it. She is too passive of a driver and doesn't always think about what she is doing. That's not to say that she isn't a good driver but I wouldn't want her driving a car where one mental lapse and she could be fish tailing around a corner. If you're thinking of keeping the Viper and letting her drive it you probably need to consider how you feel about her driving it safely. The Viper is definitely the car I would keep though if I could only keep one.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to be a Pontiac guy......got to tell you, the Pontiacs go. From a value point of view, they just are not going up. They are nice cars, but not in the same class as the Viper and Prowler. You could always repurchase the Pontiacs, maybe at less money in the future. Can't make that statement about the DC products.

Old cars can take alot of time. Fits your lifestyle.

OP
OP
S

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good input - Thanks.

New ones do fit into the lifestyle better - will be sad in the future to lose the old ones. But drove the Viper last evening and it was beautiful here in Ohio. Under the fluorescent lights at the Gas station the car looked phenomenal.

I knew, like the Prowler site ("keep the cat") that everyone on this site would say keep the Viper. Others who have never owned a Viper or driven one for any length of time may have a hard time understanding the attraction. I love the looks and I love driving it.

I also have only been to one Viper event, had a blast and am thinking that I want to keep the Viper and hook up with other Viper owners here in Ohio. Like the Prowler events, I bet they are a blast. I REALLY wanted to go to VOI9 with the wife, just couldn't make it.

So keeping the Viper and getting involved in the club is making more sense to me. But I have to sell the others. Thanks for the input.

Sincerely,

John

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck John-hope you DO decide to keep the Viper--what else compares?!! You stated it right on--''''the car looked phenomenal'''', can't beat that!
(Also feel your pain tho with the Prowler, we have a friend who has both).
Never had such a passion for another car as the Viper brings out!!!
Our best ~mike & juli

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is there a VOI10 ?

John

Hard to say, especially with the possible sale of Chrysler. I have to say that VOI 9 was 1000% better than what I expected. Great friends, excellent organization and smiles ear to ear. Certainly the bargain of the century for me. I made a video of the event that I may post sometime.

All cars have some sort of soul, and are hard to part with. Good Luck with your sales, whatever you decide.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Any VOI10? Are you kidding?

Given the news, we have our best person working on it!

You must be registered for see images

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since you have 5 kids, the Prowler (no brainer) and if you need to sell 2, regretably the '67 Firebird.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect, only you can decide which to keep. But since you asked, keep the Viper. I am on my 5th Viper and have had different rides in between each...keep coming back for some reason.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough choice indeed...

Keep in mind those Pontiacs will continue to INCREASE in value while the prolwer and Viperr will DECREASE in value for a long time.

I say sell the Prowler no doubt.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Investment = money. Thats it. That is the only advantage of owning older cars IMO. And there are a multitude of ways to make money, you can invest in several things. Viper = pleasure and fun...NOW. Yes, the older cars are fun to look at but cannot hold a candle to the exhiliaration a Viper brings in both driving pleasure and attending Viper events...and the Vipers hold value exceptionally well, esp compared to the "other American sports car".

If you are more of a sports car driver, keep the Viper. If you are more like Jay Leno and simply likes to collect things, keep the older cars. Me? I would rather have fun in the baddest car made TODAY than reminisce about cars people had fun in 40 years ago! Hope this helps!

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,
After having spent a day at the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction in West Palm this weekend, I would vote for you to keep the 66 or 67 whichever you like the most. Older cars are appreciating and if you have a nice one keep it. Next keep the Viper, of course! Good luck.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Investment = money. Thats it. That is the only advantage of owning older cars IMO. And there are a multitude of ways to make money, you can invest in several things. Viper = pleasure and fun...NOW. Yes, the older cars are fun to look at but cannot hold a candle to the exhiliaration a Viper brings in both driving pleasure and attending Viper events...and the Vipers hold value exceptionally well, esp compared to the "other American sports car".

If you are more of a sports car driver, keep the Viper. If you are more like Jay Leno and simply likes to collect things, keep the older cars. Me? I would rather have fun in the baddest car made TODAY than reminisce about cars people had fun in 40 years ago! Hope this helps!

So you wouldn't want to keep your current viper more then say 8-10yrs because by then there is always be something better/faster/etc??