Do You Know How Hot Your Sills Run

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pictures below are during a normal day of city driving on an 80 degree day.

You must be registered for see images attach

The graph below is the temperature along the line in the above picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know when I want to cool up some eggs!

Crazy hot, but not really noticeable within the cab. I notice the garage holds a lot of heat after a decent drive

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee.....do the guys at Prefix know about that?

.........does that $13,000.00 Stryker red have some kind of heat resistant crap in it?

...If you have a white gen V, are the sills gonna turn yellow, or an ugly eggshell color?

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

.........does that $13,000.00 Stryker red have some kind of heat resistant crap in it?

...If you have a white gen V, are the sills gonna turn yellow, or an ugly eggshell color?

Yes. it happened on motortrend's car.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at Corsa today and they thought those temps were not too bad compared to some other cars. You really have to look at the graph, the max temp is not a true sill temp, there is some hot air finding its way from under the sill, therefore, not the sill temp. In addition, I shot the pics forward so that I would get the cat. If you look towards the right side of the graph, the actual sill where there is egress is far cooler.

Vividracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going to be interesting to see if ceramic coated exhausts will help.

This is one of the first things I noticed after a good highway drive. I thought I read something that this was fixed oh well.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Exhaust heat has always been an issue with the Viper. Not many vehicle manufacturers encapsulate the exhaust system in the body. Those who do (like Austin Martin) have an elaborate exhaust ventilation system and numerous shields (many made from Inconel).

On the early Vipers, 1992-1993 your feet would boil in your shoes and you would burn yourself badly on the side sills if you wore shorts. The 1994-1996 models had some improvements to the exhaust insulation and side sill vents that made things better, but heat still was a constant complaint. The catalyst in these models was very large and fully contained in the side panels with no airflow, plus fuel control was not refined, causing high catalyst temperatures. It was part of the nature of the car and the price of admission.

There were many aftermarket fixes for this; we manufactured vents for the front sill panels that would allow air to circulate through the side panels and Inconel exhaust shields that reflected the heat away from the body of the car. High flow cats reduced temperatures as well.

The 03-10 models were much better, the catalyst was split so one half of the catalyst was encapsulated in the side panels, air deflectors were designed to create a low pressure area under the car near the cats, to draw more cool air to them. Still, heat was an issue as you had one catalyst under your feet and one next to it. Aftermarket, vents, heat wrap and high flow catalyst helped those who could not take the heat.

The 2013-14 models are by far the best, with one catalyst under the car, not in the side panel.

One common method of reducing heat is wrapping the catalyst with heat wrap. Beware, this does reduce temperatures but will compromise catalyst life.

Hope this helps.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing about the car is chilly...not even the a/c lol...I usually keep the garage door open after a run to let her cool down..still burn myself each time on exit but I insist on wearing shorts in the summer and if u cant take the heat, get outta the kitchen 8-P

Car definitely wants the open road with all air hitting it and running through it. I would hate using it in city traffic as a commuter or daily to the office with it huffin puffin pukin all over the place in 1st and 2nd gear, clutch in, clutch out...not my idea of enjoyment. Great recreational wekend toy though (for me) and the burns are 1/2 the fun. :)

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing about the car is chilly...not even the a/c lol...I usually keep the garage door open after a run to let her cool down..still burn myself each time on exit but I insist on wearing shorts in the summer and if u cant take the heat, get outta the kitchen 8-P

Car definitely wants the open road with all air hitting it and running through it. I would hate using it in city traffic as a commuter or daily to the office with it huffin puffin pukin all over the place in 1st and 2nd gear, clutch in, clutch out...not my idea of enjoyment. Great recreational wekend toy though (for me) and the burns are 1/2 the fun. :)
Good to hear that the new car is still a Viper. :2tu:

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a problem from 20 years ago is a silly one to have today. It isn't a motorcycle. Unless do any of you know a way to get out of the car without touching the sills? Hell I put my hand right on the sill for support and push myself out.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a problem from 20 years ago is a silly one to have today. It isn't a motorcycle. Unless do any of you know a way to get out of the car without touching the sills? Hell I put my hand right on the sill for support and push myself out.

You're doing it again.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're doing it again.
Amazing to have no experience, yet be an expert!

I think I burnt myself once getting out of my Gen V. Getting in and out of a car that sits so low and so aggressive, with a 1' sill ain't easy. Once you figure it out, it is a breeze.

My poor wife has burnt herself twice on the exhaust. I had to show her the best way to get in and out... (zing)

But, once you get it figured, you really shouldn't have any issues at all.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It must be how people get out because in 1600 miles the sill has only felt hot to me once. Every other time it at most feels warm. My 6.5 year old gets himself in and out of the vehicle without my help and he's never once complained about it being hot. And if there's one thing a 6 year old will do is be overly dramatic with even the smallest amount of discomfort. Now your mileage may vary, in IL it's been in the 80s, only once has it hit 91 when I was in the car. If you're in TX or AZ and the temp out is 100* I can see where the sills will be a bit warmer.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys are using the term "burn" too loosely. Sure, the sills are hot to the touch, but they don't actually produce any burning flesh or scars like a bare exhaust pipe would. They do "remind" you that the sills are hot. It isn't difficult to get in/out with minimal contact. Even my wife and child can get in/out with shorts on and not complain.

"If you can't stand the heat, go back to the kitchen"

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the graph, the sill itself is about 140. The hot spot is escaping heat.

This was supposed to be informative. If those few trolls continue to thrive on negativity, those with meaningful input will eventually stop posting.

Go home or get a job.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the graph, the sill itself is about 140. The hot spot is escaping heat.

This was supposed to be informative. If those few trolls continue to thrive on negativity, those with meaningful input will eventually stop posting.

Go home or get a job.

Jack, it was informative - thank you for sharing. What did you use to capture the picture?

Do you think you could capture one on the inside to show the heat internally generated?

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It must be how people get out because in 1600 miles the sill has only felt hot to me once. Every other time it at most feels warm. My 6.5 year old gets himself in and out of the vehicle without my help and he's never once complained about it being hot. And if there's one thing a 6 year old will do is be overly dramatic with even the smallest amount of discomfort. Now your mileage may vary, in IL it's been in the 80s, only once has it hit 91 when I was in the car. If you're in TX or AZ and the temp out is 100* I can see where the sills will be a bit warmer.

So what is the correct way to get out? After driving a while, if you put your hand on the sill how hot does it feel? I thought the easiest way at least for me was to put my hand on the sill and jump out

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is still a plastic covered door jamb scuff plate you can put your hand on. You do not have to touch the painted exhaust sill at all. If you have driven a Viper, you'd know this by now. ;)

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Fluke Ti125 IR camera.That is a good idea. My car is at Corsa. I will get it back on Monday and will post some interior pics.

Jack, it was informative - thank you for sharing. What did you use to capture the picture?

Do you think you could capture one on the inside to show the heat internally generated?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what is the correct way to get out? After driving a while, if you put your hand on the sill how hot does it feel? I thought the easiest way at least for me was to put my hand on the sill and jump out

No part of my body touches any painted part of the car getting in or out.

Open the door all the way and at the same time do these three things:

-Grab the wheel with the right hand
-Swing my right leg up over the sill onto the floor without kicking the door, dash or seat
-Take my left hand, place it on the outter seat bolster

Then slide down the back of my hand (protecting the bolster from wear) into the seat while holding on to the wheel and keeping my left leg on the ground.

To get out, open the door all the way, left leg out while using the steering wheel as leverage and pushing my body out all while not touching the sill, any painted part of the car, door, dash or kicking the seat.
It takes practice, but once you get it it works like butter and you don't damage your car or burn your legs.

The first time I sat in the passenger side I was totally confused, everything was backwards and I had no wheel to grab onto.;)

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My trick is to place my hand on the door sill around where your elbow is, far above the exhaust. Works like a charm! Once you figure out how to efficiently "fall" into the car, getting out is a breeze LOL.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Fluke Ti125 IR camera.That is a good idea. My car is at Corsa. I will get it back on Monday and will post some interior pics.

Do you know of any somewhat decent IR cameras that are <$1k? I'd love to have one of those Flukes to play around with, but I can't justify spending that kinda coin on an IR camera.

As for sill heat, I've been reminded on a couple of occassions how hot they get, but it never leaves a mark on bare skin. If I ever remember, I'll have to grab my IR thermometer the next time I have it out.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is still a plastic covered door jamb scuff plate you can put your hand on. You do not have to touch the painted exhaust sill at all. If you have driven a Viper, you'd know this by now. ;)

Idk I got in and out of the gen 5 at least 5-10x by now and I never noticed that. I always put my hand on the sill where the metal is.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My trick is to place my hand on the door sill around where your elbow is, far above the exhaust. Works like a charm! Once you figure out how to efficiently "fall" into the car, getting out is a breeze LOL.

Next time I am around one I will try this. So far I have been doing the falling into the car method to get in but maybe putting your hand on the back of the sill is a good place. I didn't like using the bottom middle of the sill because it made some creaking sounds so it sounded like it was going to break off when I did it that way. I also used the steering wheel as leverage. I wonder though for a passenger what is the easiest way out.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just never get out, I mean once you get in a gen5 you don't want to get out, so ... ;-)

Thanks for sharing, 140 seems like an improvement, you could probably have hotter spots on the car from sun exposure. I'd think a little strategic heat wrap and a Corsa pipe and you'd have the coolest setup ever, in more ways than one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4