Do you really care what happens to your car when its sold?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just noticed the following that was in an ebay auction:

"please DO NOT bid unless we talk first. Thank you for viewing this auction as this car was very special to me and I want that person that buys this car to take care of it as I did."

Now don't get me wrong. My car is as special as any other car on this board. It is cleaned too much, not driven enough and is a prized possession that is never raced, never gunned and rarely sees anything above 70mph. But when the time comes that I decide to move on, when I sell this car, it could be sold to Saddam Insane and driven in a figure 8 demolition derby. My possessions are very dear to me but when its sold it is no longer mine. It is up to the next owner to do with as he pleases as he just paid a lot of money for that right. As far as I'm concerned, an ex-car is like an ex-wife, out of sight, out of mind. Now I will have some fond memories of the ex-car unlike the ex-wife but time to turn the page. Is that wrong?

BDZ1984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last 2 cars that I sold I was happy to see them go to someone that cared for the car the way I did.. but really as long as they came through with the money.. I have been lucky and have never seen a ex-car running around town.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This should be interesting to see the answers, especially with the people lambasting the Key My Viper websites. It is possible that the car could go to one of these "owners".

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s hilarious

Whoever buys it should do the following:

As you leave and pull out of his driveway (you know he will be watching it leave in sorrow), powerbrake it (not that you have to) and smoke the tires like a funny car burnout. :eek: I would pay to see that one :D

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
even after I wrecked my viper...it was really sad to see it go....I know the viper has no feelings...but I had a bond with it. we had an understanding. Same with my 1994 viper...

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...either the guy really loves the car, or it's a "marketing ploy" to get people to believe that the car was well cared for (not that it wasn't, but that's one way to bring the point home).

When I sold my 350Z, I really hoped that it would go to someone who would feel the love for it that I put into it, but I certainly wasn't going to turn down a dirt-bag teenager with mommy and daddy's money who wanted to beat the snot out of the car. It ended up selling to a nice older gent who's as much of a car lover as I am.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded in my first Viper ('94 RT/10) when I bought the SRT Coupe. They put it in the show room with a huge price on it so it stayed there for a very long time. So, every time I took one of my other cars in for service I could visit with it, so to speak. There was a time when I almost bought it back but I couldn't justify having 4 Vipers or paying the kind of price they wanted. It eventually disapperared and I didn't ask what happened to it. I still have pictures of it on my garage wall.

Bob K

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kiddin.... read this!

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=693327&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=693223&Search=true#Post693327

52motivatorbdd023472c2bc2608501c8e89731ea4d.jpg

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One should separate passion from emotions

"please DO NOT bid unless we talk first. Thank you for viewing this auction as this car was very special to me and I want that person that buys this car to take care of it as I did."

It could be a way to lure a buyer but come on. I laugh at these types. People that express their love for their cars like they were giving up their kid for adoption. It's a car! I know some people have unforeseen circumstances and have to give up their cars (passion - lack of a better word I guess) but I would think anyone paying 50k (guessing) for a car I'm sure has the sense to take care of it.

I always see distinctively two types of passionate car owners no matter what kind of car it is

Ones that drive it for passion and drive it like it should be driven (that's me)
And Ones that just like the passion of owning it. Like it's a trophy or a status for some.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The post starts out that way wanting a good owner. BUT sounds like he doesn't give a [******] in the end JUST send me $$$$.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my Viper as much as the next guy, but when it comes time to sell money talks. It's not like a built this car. I bought it with cash just like everyone else. Although, it did take years of hard work and savings to be able to afford it.

In my lifetime if I every build a car (ie. - hotrod, custom, etc...), I could see demanding the next owner to appreciate my hard work and craftsmanship. And I would not sell it to some fool that would just destroy it... Blood and sweat create more of an attachment than just busting out your wallet. In these cases, I could understand an owner having certain requirements.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I build them ground up and still can't get that attached to a piece of metal. Piece of *** that's different. Big joke here and with local car club is the thing I've had the longest time without selling is the WIFE. check gallary you'll see what I mean.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once dated this gal. She was above average but not by much. then about 6 months later, me and a new girlfriend (now my wife) bump into her at some pizza place. she is with her new boyfriend. she tells me she is engaged and shows me her ring. so i size up the new boyfriend: short, hairy, wears a star trek watch and a star trek ring, had a weak handshake, and kinda the definition of a "tool". Do I care? not really. But my wife said "what did you do to her to drive her to a guy like that?!?!?". i ask myself the same thing. we only dated for a few months...

So I don't really care what happens to a car once I sell it. But just like the stripper I dated once (well, she became a stripper shortly after we broke up), i'd like to be able to proudly say "I used to ride that".

sometimes, it is hard to do.

JD

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as the Viper is out of sight it does not matter too much. I got paid, he gets the car. We are even. He can burn it, I dont care. My old Harley (which I spent 4 years to built) ended up in hands of an idiot (ex-con, motorcycle gang member), he eventually burned it to collect money. It did hurt a bit, but next day I was over it.

It is actually nice to see it going to someone who will take good care of it. This happened to my old Split-Window Corvette, it is in a 19.000sft garage with many other Corvettes in TX. Great guy, I know it will be taken good care of. He even sends me pictures from the car shows he has won with it. This is 5 years after the sale....

If I end up seeing the misery daily (local buyer) it would drive me nuts.... :curse:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once dated this gal. She was above average but not by much. then about 6 months later, me and a new girlfriend (now my wife) bump into her at some pizza place. she is with her new boyfriend. she tells me she is engaged and shows me her ring. so i size up the new boyfriend: short, hairy, wears a star trek watch and a star trek ring, had a weak handshake, and kinda the definition of a "tool". Do I care? not really. But my wife said "what did you do to her to drive her to a guy like that?!?!?". i ask myself the same thing. we only dated for a few months...

So I don't really care what happens to a car once I sell it. But just like the stripper I dated once (well, she became a stripper shortly after we broke up), i'd like to be able to proudly say "I used to ride that".

sometimes, it is hard to do.

JD

LOL!!!! too funny Joe.

Years ago I sold a RX-7 Turbo to a guy that after having it 3 days he turned the boost up showing off and slide it off the road flipping and landing in the river. I was driving back from a jobsite and saw it on a rollback. I instantly new it was mine, turned around and went back to verify. At first it pissed me off after putting so much work in to it making it a very nice ride, but after that day I was pretty much over it. I guess the centimental value does come in to play but once someone else owns it and totals it, it goes away. You like to think someone else will take care of it though.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i couldnt care less about the car once its paid for and not mine anymore.

Totally agree. No sentimental value for some metal on wheels. Besides, usually you are moving on to something more exciting.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would PREFER to sell my car to someone who will treat it like I did. Well taken care of, but also lets it get out and "play" every so often. I wouldn't want to see it end up being blown up in the 1st week of new ownership, but yes, $$ talks and when its all said and done, when you sell it, the new owner decides how the car will be treated and you don't get a say-so

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 57 Chevy that if the time came to ever sell it I would be very fussy about who bought. If some bratty teenager showed up with a *** of cash and talked about racing it or abusing it I would show him the door right quick. A car like that that has personal meaning and history behind it is different. I would never let it go to someone that was not going to baby it like I do. Same thing with my bike. If a kid that just got his learners license showed up to buy it I would turn him away. I know the bike will get abused and more than likely the kid will kill himself learning to ride it. I'll wait for the right buyer. If it was a daily driver????? first one with the cash takes it home.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't care less what happens to a sold vehicle. The real question is which is Joe Dell harder on, girls or cars?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing with my bike. If a kid that just got his learners license showed up to buy it I would turn him away. I know the bike will get abused and more than likely the kid will kill himself learning to ride it.

These days, the family of the dead kid would try to sue you for selling him the bike :curse: :buttkick:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As PatentLaw stated, it's pretty ironic to read all these "It's not my car anymore, I could care less" responses afer all the name-calling that went on toward the SmashMyViper guys...I'm sensing some serious double-standards here.

And no, it's no different.

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold an absolutely immaculate, very low mile GSX-R, that never saw moisture, let alone rain, was polished everytime I rode it and updated with very nice mods etc. to some kid who paid a premium, in cash for the bike. He took it to a hill climb that same weekend and totalled it. I couldn't have cared less. I guess when I was younger and always thought my vehicles were worth more than they really were, it mattered, but I've gotten over them being anything more than plastic, metal and rubber... Don't get me wrong, I still take good care of my stable, but when they are gone, they are some one else's problem. . .

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As PatentLaw stated, it's pretty ironic to read all these "It's not my car anymore, I could care less" responses afer all the name-calling that went on toward the SmashMyViper guys...I'm sensing some serious double-standards here.

And no, it's no different.

I couldn't AGREE MORE!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte