Dodge is losing creditability with me and I am sure others...

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dodge is losing credibility with me and I am sure others...

I feel for yah. On my way home from Ohio when I bought my Viper the door speaker wire busted and left channel quit. My odometer reads 10% different than my trip meter. All legitimate warranty claims that should have been previous owner fixes, but I bought it and Daimler cancelled it - too bad, so sad. I yelled and complained, asked top VCA execs for help - still too bad. Unfair, just like BMW and Porsche.

I was PISSED for more than a year. Really minor problems that reflect badly on Chrysler from a dumb corporation financial RETARD. At least they didn't short the SRT engineers financially! After another 22,000 miles on my Viper spanking everything warranty no longer concerns me. The car has been super reliable and if Chrysler wants to lose a couple customers so that they don't have to replace my speedo - oh well. They lost a lot more than what it cost me. I diagnosed and soldered the broken wire (between the door and pillar) in about an hour. Same speedo in the car still.

If I buy a newer Chrysler in the US, I'll purchase a warranty from an Independant company here in canada for about the same money so no big deal. I thought about having to modify a newer Z06, had shivers and no longer care about the warranty.

I wish Chrysler would have given me the phone number to a company that sells warraties instead of just informing me that the one with the car was cancelled. Guess that's what happens when finances and Execs dome from Daimler or Cerebus? No pride because they personally didn't built or design the product? Cerebus attitude is to save a few hundred dollars in warranties for a lousy excuse instead of jsut being polite and suggesting purchasing your own Canadian warranty? LOL, and they're supposed to be "big brains" worthy of millions in wages? I think I should have their job! Obviously I'm better at it and a loyal Dodge guy.

Hollywood1 - call your local Dodge dealer and ask for a private warranty! Your car is an 06. Mine's an '01 and it's reliable so I don't need any warranty.

Ted
Ted,
Other than this the car has been excellent and as for private warranty have you ever tried to collect on this type of warranty? These guys are the ones that when one buys a stereo from Soundsaround, they ask about the 3 year extended warranty because one never knows....., try collecting from these guys as it also has been a complete joke. From the experience that I have had I will fix 95% of the issues myself. I am still pretty burned by this whole fiasco. It really is pretty ****ty and I am still pretty PO'D about the whole issue. I will try the dodge dealer and find out though. They probably have a $500 deductible too....great.....I'm out!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with yah. I would buy Porsche BMW and chrylser warranties absolute last. I'd buy the Chrysler product first (and did). I wouldn't buy any of those other companies products 'cause I like my superfast Dodge. I've driven it from Ohio to BC, then Portland, and I was the one West. Cda Viper that drove to detroit VOI and one of two Cdn Vipers that drove from Detroit back here.

I understand from many vette guys that the GM warranty isn't very much better than no warranty? LOL.

Ted

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not an expert but don't they have that policy to discourage cross border shopping. Given price and currency fluctations there is always an advantage on one side or the other. And given differences in governmental requirements it is the companies duty to comply. So why is it that people still shop across the border and then blame the company that is doing everything to discourage it in the first place. You are essentially doing gray market importation and companies do not stand behind gray marketing for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You don't sound very loyal to me, euro boy wonder.

So you follow blindly? Leaders lead not follow. The Viper is an awesome car, but it does not complete me. My ACR is the best handling, and most powerful car I have ever owned. But when I buy again...I want more (power, handling, etc...). If Dodge/Viper can't do it and someone else can...then call me "not loyal".

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, is CAAP not opening on Monday, March 30??? Has someone heard a new date, or are we still waiting to see? This is really getting frustrating!

3/30/2009 UPDATE:

CAAP is back at em, with an enthusiastic crew, glad to be back from winter break !

In fact I hear that the MCVOA even has another CAAP tour planned very soon?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not an expert but don't they have that policy to discourage cross border shopping. Given price and currency fluctations there is always an advantage on one side or the other. And given differences in governmental requirements it is the companies duty to comply. So why is it that people still shop across the border and then blame the company that is doing everything to discourage it in the first place. You are essentially doing gray market importation and companies do not stand behind gray marketing for obvious reasons.

What? So I should pay 50% more just so that I can buy the car in Canada? Why?

If they're "discouraging cross border shopping" then they should have refunded my Warranty money, not just kept it. They stold my money. I bought the car with a prepaid warranty and they cancelled it with no refund, they made money by refusing to honor the prepaid services. Who decides that where I should spend my money? I didn't want an ordinary Viper, I wanted mags, blower, stereo, hp brakes, exhaust, already tuned, proven track record, etc. There wasn't any on Canada so I bought one of the hundreds in the US.

Grey importation? You mean like drugs? I bought Viper plug wires from AB so is that OK or is that grey importation? I could have just ordered them from AB, recieved them, then paid $45 shipping and another $50 for "Brokerage" and 30% money exchange. I could have paid nearly $300 for the wires. Instead I bought the wires, had them shipped to Macedo Motorsports and picked them up from Larry, threw them into my suitcase and brought them home with me. No border fees, taxes, etc. Which way is fair? Give $100 to a shipping/Brokerage company for shipping that would cost $10 from CHINA or buy them the way I did. All that extra 50-100% extra charges is why we're financially screwed. What the hell is free trade if I have to pay Double to a lousy shipping company? Should it actaully be cheaper to buy everything from China instead of United States? Don't care much about your economy? When you take my money and give me nothing in return then you're a thief, even if you excuse is Government.

Ted

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will only counter the baseless comments on gray marketing. The rest of your gibberish makes no sense. I could not care less what your government charges for you to get products from outside of your country to inside of it.

Gray market, in case you are unaware, is a term applied to the movement of a vehicle from one market or region to another for which it is not intended. It has been the same term for decades and has nothing to do with Chrysler. Or even Canada directly.

The primary driver for prevention of gray market cars is regulatory. But a significant other reason is dealership pressure. Dealers near borders would go through periods of high sales and low sales if gray market sales were allowed without some limitation. In essence people would tend to buy where the real price was best. However, pricing, is set by a combination of currency exchanges and market level. Not the market immediately along a border but throughout the region. So to prevent the undesired high cross-border trafficking of new cars OEMs enact rules preventing warranty transference if the vehicle is registered in a different location than purchased. That is the only weapon they have in the gray market. Without that policy most of the dealerships near a border would go bankrupt during the lean years and thrive in the good years. Not a good scenario.

here is some info if you wish to read. It discusses both US and Canadian rationales.

Grey import vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW the most famous gray market car in the US was purchased by Bill Gates some 30 years ago. It was/is a Porsche and to this day is not allowed to be licensed in the US. Most gray market cars are impounded and destroyed by the government. Be happy your government is lenient and allows you to keep and register yours.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RTTTed;

Don't blame Chrysler or the US for your problems. Blame Canada as Southpark would say. It is the Canadian government and Canadian dealers that have screwed with the prices up North for years. And I am making this statement as a Canadian/US citizen who grew up in Canada.

If you are going to buy in the US an save 35% on the purchase price of the vehicle, why whine about the warranty costs on top of it. Really, are you expecting them to just give you a new vehicle.

Down here, other than my Jeep SRT8 fiasco on warranty, my Viper warranty has been very upheld buy Chrysler and I have not had a single concern. In fact, it has been one of the best warranties I have ever had for any manufacturer yet for the issues they have resolved, though Porsche has been very understanding with theirs over the years too, but starting to noticed where they are question a lot of items lately. Sign of the times I guess.

Most people just need to put the whole thing in perspective.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah Canada Gov. is a rip off and definitely doesn't want any of us to have free choice. I think that they'd like to become a dictatorship with all their certification programs and tax hikes.

The US gov. is no better as they added a 40% tarrif for Canadian lumber going south. Even the lumber that went to New Orleans had that 40% extra taxes added to it. More lack of freedom. Is that what is meant by FREE TRADE?

I would have been happier if Chrylser would have refunded me the money for the warranty they cancelled. That probably would have paid for the speedo and time I spent fixing the warranty items myself.

Gray market/cars not designed for area? Yah, I did have to add Daytime running lights so that the Viper conforms with ALL requirements for Canada. Gen 1 Vipers are not allowed importation to Canada because the US front bumper is classed as unsafe here in Canada.

I believe in freedom and you guys think that everyone needs to be controlled? Marketing should be completely regulated by Governments? As I said, when our Goverments add fees and taxes to domestic (North American) products that China, Mexico, Korea, etc. doesn't have to pay I say that's why we're economically screwed right now. I can buy stuff from China for quarter or half price of what it costs me to buy from less than a thousand miles away. BAD BAD BAD.

Free trade and 40% wood tarrifs are contradictions, and I think a sign of dishonesty from our governments.

Ted

bcmamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got jacked around also as I bought a 06 us car, got it certified in Canada, had a turn signal problem took it into the Calgary dealer and presto, no warranty because this was a US car. So I took the car to Vegas for the winter as I have a house there, took the car to the US dealer and presto, no warranty because its a CDN car. Wonderful, no warranty anywhere. Chrysler just used this as an excuse to escape from their obligation and no one wants to be accountable. I guess my 80K is not good enough for Chrysler as all profits roll up to the parent anyway but for a $150 turn signal, they can rot....Great product but brutal customer service. Here is a anchor for you guys....see ya......

Same story with me!!! I bought an 05 mamba brand spankin new and have also got jacked arround big time sinse!!!! When I was buying the car there were no problems, the dealer even gave it to me in writing that my warranty would be covered... The guy just stopped answering my calls and even had his people start screening my calls (issue with leather bubbling on a panel)... Chrysler canada to me to f off as well!!!

I know that there are good dealerships out there, I just didnt know about the recommended ones from the vca when I made my purchase!!!!

I LOVE MY CAR and will never get rid of it; and although I like some of the new line up, I will not buy another dodge again!!!! There customer service *****... thats why these *uckers are going broke... here is another anchor for you guys!!!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is on page 8 of my owners warranty booklet that came with my car. Did any of you Canadian's read it. Seems pretty clear to me.
You must be registered for see images attach

bcmamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is on page 8 of my owners warranty booklet that came with my car. Did any of you Canadian's read it. Seems pretty clear to me.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks, for referring us to p.8. I did do my research and everything seemed like a go. Now please turn to p.29 of that same manual (6.1 D). In my case all steps were followed. Just got the big run arround.... The local dealership did do the warranty for me for the first two years (Haleys White Rock Dodge, Very nice and professional people) but they just told me simply that Chrysler canada was giving them too many problems and making them run arround too much to recoup money for their labour!!!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, for referring us to p.8. I did do my research and everything seemed like a go. Now please turn to p.29 of that same manual (6.1 D). In my case all steps were followed. Just got the big run arround.... The local dealership did do the warranty for me for the first two years (Haleys White Rock Dodge, Very nice and professional people) but they just told me simply that Chrysler canada was giving them too many problems and making them run arround too much to recoup money for their labour!!!!
From what I can tell that only applies if you moved from the US to Canada after the sales date. Cross-border shopping to save money is not a valid reason. In this day and age data will eventually catch up with you. Trying to bypass these is called cheating. Calling the selling company names because it enforces clearly stated policy is lame.

bcmamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I can tell that only applies if you moved from the US to Canada after the sales date. Cross-border shopping to save money is not a valid reason. In this day and age data will eventually catch up with you. Trying to bypass these is called cheating. Calling the selling company names because it enforces clearly stated policy is lame.

I had lived in US for many years and had all paper work that I needed for proof of residence... There was no need to cheat for ME!!! Plus, when I got my car the cdn $ was pretty low anyways so I didnt really save on buying the car in the so called GRAY market... after the conversion and taxes I paid over 100k cdn for my vehicle... The way I look at it, thats not really good business practice to deal with customers that put down that much cash!!!

Thats just my experience, as I can see it.... Im sure yours must be going alot better.... And like I said before, I love my car and wouldnt change it if I had to do it all over again!!! My next car will definately be a more thought out purchase in terms of customer satisfaction dealing with warranties!!!!