Does a car get louder with headers?

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have stock headers, no cats, and a corsa exhaust. I am installing M&M headers, still will have no cats, will this make my Corsa louder?

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could depending on the primary size and the final collector size. I would have to assume both are larger in the headers you are putting in. As a general rule, larger pipes, more noise. Larger pipes tend to give you more top range HP at the expense of low end torque.

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was running mopar exhaust with no cats and when I had m&m headers installed, the exhaust sound was not louder. The exhaust sounded the same, I was pretty disappointed. This is on a gen 3 though. I think it's time for new mufflers.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on a gen2 with corsa and hf cats headers make the car much louder.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you had high flow cats and corsa and then added headers and it got louder or it got louder once you went from just corsa to headers and high flow cats. I already have no cats on my car now.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I ran stock headers to catless to corsa, it was loud. I added M&M headers, it got louder and a little more raspier. I didn't particularly care for the sound but the final product was the Roe installed. That lowered the pitch of the exhaust significantly so I really like the sound now.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is why I am thinking about switching to Borla, although I will experience drone I liked the sound my Borla produced on my last Viper

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't care about drone you could go straight pipes all the way back?

I have that now with belangers, no cats and straight pipes. It isn't loud unless you put your foot into it.
The drone however is always there and it doesn't help I am running into an RPM range with my 3.73s that tends to producce more drone.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTLaser that sounds sick

What size wheels are those and did you lower with spring and/or caps? Stance looks great

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just added M&M's to my 96 GTS. It already had HF cats and a 3" Borla cat back. It got a little louder with the header addition. I love it!

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTLaser that sounds sick

What size wheels are those and did you lower with spring and/or caps? Stance looks great

19/20's ..... KW Variant 2's.... Makes a huge difference in ride. Took me a few times to get the height just right so no rubbing anywhere and also not too high.

No drone here. Borla has a really nice deep sound from the outside listening in. Too many fitment issues with that setup though.

I have slight drone at certain RPM's.... but I never had an issue with the exhaust other than the rear hangs so it hits the road at certain points, it's the First version with only dual mufflers. Borla said they fixed the pipe design and I could add the new rear so no clearance issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang