Does a CEL clear on it's own after some ingition cycles?

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all...

My new Viper was missing the inner gas cap when delivered (wierd)...

As a result it threw a CEL and DTC for an evap leak. Verified with a code reader (not mine) that it was due to cap.

Bought a cap, under the understanding I had to put some ignition cycles on it and it would clear. It hasn't yet.

I have the shop manuals, but the wording is not really clear on whether or not it will auto reset. I can certainly buy a scanner and reset, but I was wondering if it did this on its own or not.

Thanks,
Jon

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why didn't it clear when you read it?

Not the expert but my understanding is hard codes do not self clear.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think it would do it on its own. If not, take it to some place like autozone and see if they can clear it for you or as you mentioned...pick up a scan tool of your own and do it.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but i think if a code is self clearing that it will still take atleast TWO full drive cycles to clear. Cant hurt to just stop by autozone or your dealership and clear it.

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny story... autozone and dealer refused to clear it "legally" due to the fact I'm awaiting inspection in order to register it. They both claimed they can't do it until the problem is "fixed" which implied it would self clear but so far it hasn't. I've put 50+ miles with 2 or 3 cold starts...

The dealer said drive it 50 miles, but I'm inclined to think they have no freakin' clue since the shop manual says nothing about miles, only cycles and "trips". Their definition of "trips" is what confuses me.

I'll just buy a scanner, I'm sure I'll use it in the future.

Thanks,
Jon

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what set the CEL. On my Ram it sets a CEL for the gas cap since it doesn't seal well. I tighten it and it clears out after 3 full driving cycles. Has been doing it for a long time now.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or just pull connector C1 off the PCM for a few minutes. It's a lot easier than getting to the battery.

--FQB

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny story... autozone and dealer refused to clear it "legally" due to the fact I'm awaiting inspection in order to register it. They both claimed they can't do it until the problem is "fixed" which implied it would self clear but so far it hasn't. I've put 50+ miles with 2 or 3 cold starts...

The dealer said drive it 50 miles, but I'm inclined to think they have no freakin' clue since the shop manual says nothing about miles, only cycles and "trips". Their definition of "trips" is what confuses me.

I'll just buy a scanner, I'm sure I'll use it in the future.

Thanks,
Jon

What bozos. Clearing a code that reflects something truly and consistently wrong does nothing to evade the DMV Gods..... the code will return once the car gets to ready-mode and won't be able to pass before its ready. Those guys should slowly remove the ****** and clear the code for you........

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"MY NEW VIPER".................I can tell you had the H kicked out of you when you were a baby. {J-O-N}

...............The Year (usually) Matters..........

1) Emissions-ignitions faults are yellow-amber CEL codes, and are adaptive. They are self-clearing after 4-5 running cycles of NO FAULTS. Not 'ignition cycles'. That is IF the problem goes away and stays away. They will return after as few as one one run-fault cycle. The gas cap is a self-clearing code. Be patient...have you driven it 5 times?

2) RED CELS are much more serious, and immediate action should be taken.

3) I AM NOT AN ADVOCATE OF PULLING PCM POWER TO CLEAR THE MEMORY. It erases all 255 stored codes that would be helpful history to a tech and a computer-reader. And it is "hiding" or ignoring the underlying issues which could be hurting your car or components. AND: It resets all the adaptives to generic baselines, including the idle program and on later models some throttle programming. LAST RESORT ONLY.

Good Luck JonB~~~~:<~

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB,

Yeah, sorry, "new" is clearly wrong... it's a 2001 GTS. Sorry, I'm still on cloud 9 from it being "new to me" with only 7800 miles total! :)

I have driven it 5 times, but from re-reading the shop manual I think it needs 3 clear "trips" which are defined as coolant temp being within 10 degrees of ambient and warming up at least 40 degrees after starting. I've had plenty of drives but really only one cold-start/warm up since getting the new cap.

I'll wait it out. I just wanted to make sure if it stayed on whether that indicated the problem wasn't fixed.

cheers!

Last edited:

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you know you've fixed the problem, don't want to wait for it to clear itself & have an SCT - you can clear it. :)

done it, works great. :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pull the power and let it die out at the CPU. Then restart. Nothing on the dash is ok to pass. GTS Bruce

Just so you realize, when you do this, you are resetting all the adaptives to baseline.
As well as erasing 250+ historic and perhaps useful codes.

So instead of having one element learning to clear itself in 4-5 patient run cycles, you have MULTIPLE adaptives re-learning for 4-5 run cycles. The most noticable is the idle program. This can result in VERY rough even stalling idle, and "I wish I had NOT done that" remorse for 3-5 runs.

So, I am not a fan of PCM/ECU/CPU shutdown, unless as a last resort .

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB, Yeah, sorry, "new" is clearly wrong... it's a 2001 GTS. Sorry, I'm still on cloud 9 from it being "new to me" with only 7800 miles total! :)

I have driven it 5 times, but from re-reading the shop manual I think it needs 3 clear "trips" which are defined as coolant temp being within 10 degrees of ambient and warming up at least 40 degrees after starting. I've had plenty of drives but really only one cold-start/warm up since getting the new cap.

I'll wait it out. I just wanted to make sure if it stayed on whether that indicated the problem wasn't fixed. cheers!

EXACTLY !! does not have to be cold starts, but DOES have to tranist the temp ranges for most adaptives related to emsisions..... Patience Grasshopper...... and WELCOME

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang