Does anyone know how to remove those hood (speaker looking) screens on Gen IIs?

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rubber on my hood screens has come off at certain points and I want to remove and fix it properly. How do you get those things off!? :dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ears were ringing...

I'll assume you mean how do you get the hood screens off. They are somewhat of a PITA. Losing screws into the hood is a common story.

Tricks...

-> Magnetic Phillips screwdriver. Only place I've been able to find them is Amazon, and they were a pricey set.

-> Big magnet taped to standard screwdriver.

-> A grabber type screw starting screwdriver.

-> Dab of Loctite or weatherstrip adhesive on tip of screwdriver.

Be careful putting the screws back in to hit the clip in the screen. One of mine went into the screen. Fixed it no damage done, but pay attention.

For the gasket, I glued mine on using black 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Gooey pig snot stuff. Very carefully leave a trail of it on the edge of the mesh, and work the gasket back on. You must work quickly. As soon as all of the glue and gasket is on, carefully use your fingernail and a toothpick to remove any excess w/o disturbing the gasket. It takes very little glue. If you are leaving globs when pushing the gasket on back off on the glue.

Let the glue dry for a while, and then give them a shot of Rustoleum. I used satin (semi-gloss), and it matched well. I also masked off the rubber trim for best effect. Another PITA.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or magnetize your screwdriver. Stroke a magnet along the shaft of the screwdriver for a few minutes and you have a temporary magnetic screwdriver.

Ted

D

DAMN YANKEE

The most important part of your work has to do with those old screen bottom rubber edging.
The best thing to do is to go to a good quality auto parts store with one of those rubber edgings and match it up to the edging they sell to protect door edges. Your will find that product is better in all regards to the stock edging.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most important part of your work has to do with those old screen bottom rubber edging.
The best thing to do is to go to a good quality auto parts store with one of those rubber edgings and match it up to the edging they sell to protect door edges. Your will find that product is better in all regards to the stock edging.

I did find the rubber on my '01 to be in pretty good shape. It just needed something to hold it in place. Like the black pig snot glue. If there had been weather cracking, deformation etc, I would have sought out the trim Gods at Auto Zone.

a66cobra1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something like this is always an option. :D

Attachments

• Chop Saw.jpg
    Chop Saw.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 32

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After painting my hood pad last weekend I decided to paint those as well and I did lose a screw to the inside of the hood but 3 is still good enough.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did find the rubber on my '01 to be in pretty good shape. It just needed something to hold it in place. Like the black pig snot glue. If there had been weather cracking, deformation etc, I would have sought out the trim Gods at Auto Zone.

I just noticed mine coming off a little bit at the edge towards the front of the car so this is on my list of things to do.

Dave, is that glue called Pig Snot or is that just what you call it. Can I use any type of glue like black silicone or do I need something sticky like the PS to hold it in place until it dries? I kinda assumed they are shrinking due to age and that is why they are starting to come off but I could be wrong. I know I could just pull them off and get all my answers but figured since you already did yours... ;) :lmao:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just noticed mine coming off a little bit at the edge towards the front of the car so this is on my list of things to do.

Dave, is that glue called Pig Snot or is that just what you call it. Can I use any type of glue like black silicone or do I need something sticky like the PS to hold it in place until it dries? I kinda assumed they are shrinking due to age and that is why they are starting to come off but I could be wrong. I know I could just pull them off and get all my answers but figured since you already did yours... ;) :lmao:

Silicone will probably not last long as an adhesive in that application. The pig snot is 3M weatherstrip adhesive, usually found in yellow at hardware stores. I ordered the black PS from McMaster Carr.