Door Trouble

Barry

VCA Member
Reaction score
I love my Viper I drive it as often as I can. It’s going on eight years old now and has just over 11,000 miles on it, including a road trip from NJ to VOI 7.

:nono: But I have a beef with Dodge about my doors! Both drivers and passenger doors are having problems. The drivers door latch is no longer working and the passenger door is in need of adjustment,(hinge going bad).

I want to know, how many people are having these same problems. Does this warrant a recall?:soapy:

V

Venomiss

I love my Viper I drive it as often as I can. It’s going on eight years old now and has just over 11,000 miles on it, including a road trip from NJ to VOI 7.

:nono: But I have a beef with Dodge about my doors! Both drivers and passenger doors are having problems. The drivers door latch is no longer working and the passenger door is in need of adjustment,(hinge going bad).

I want to know, how many people are having these same problems. Does this warrant a recall?:soapy:

While I am really sorry to hear about your door plight didn't you already post a thread about this in early June? Just use the search button if you haven't already. There are some threads on there that might be helpful for you to read.
This was your thread on June 6th, 2007. Maybe you didn't get enough information.
http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603076&highlight=door+hinges
Have you ever checked for a TS Bulletin on it either? Hope this helps you.:)

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My drivers door was sagged a little and starting to rub the door strip rubber so I took the cover off the hinge in front of the door and adjusted it. Better to adjust it , takes 10 minutes, than wait until it wears out the door strip or detroys the latch. Better to fix a problem when it's minor than wait til it's a major. Why would they recall or TSB a sagging door??? Hinge sagged on my Tahoe when it was a few years old, even had to rebush the hinge. Like saying need to TSB brake pads. Get used to parts wearing out. OR buy a new Viper.

OP
OP
Barry

Barry

VCA Member
Reaction score
I think you all missed the point of this post.

Doors on cars of this caliber should not sag and locks should not stop working hell my 63 still has the original hinges I doubt my 2000 will have the original hinges in thee years. This *****, its something I would expect on a Yugo not a Viper.

This is a design flaw and owners should not have to repair or pay to have repairs done. This is a recall defect if I ever saw one.

I think we should hammer Dodge to fix this defect. Dodge should be embarrassed to allow this defect to continue. When my buddy, (the vet owner) said he could blow my doors off, he wasn’t kidding and I don’t think it’s funny either.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doors on cars of this caliber should not sag and locks should not stop working hell my 63 still has the original hinges I doubt my 2000 will have the original hinges in thee years. This *****, its something I would expect on a Yugo not a Viper.

This is a design flaw and owners should not have to repair or pay to have repairs done. This is a recall defect if I ever saw one.

I think we should hammer Dodge to fix this defect. Dodge should be embarrassed to allow this defect to continue. When my buddy, (the vet owner) said he could blow my doors off, he wasn’t kidding and I don’t think it’s funny either.

Kind of an aggressive stance, but I won't argue with your intentions.

However, my '01 GTS needs the PS door raised slightly, and instead of 10 years of lawyers and letters, I'll spend the 10 minutes to adjust it myself.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way you OPEN and CLOSE the doors may have influence on the hinges etc also.

DON´T smash the doors.

Never had a problem with "sagging" on two Viper (GEN-II) and I drive/drove the cars more than 43K miles so far.

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned many Vipers and none ever had door hinge problems except for one. I believe it is a desing flaw because the hinges are made of aluminum if I am not mistaken. And sometimes when people get in and out of the car, they use the door as leverage therefore the hinges get bent over time.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>they use the door as leverage therefore the hinges get bent over time.<<<

The door itself is NOT a "GRIP" to lift yourself out of the car. Insofar it would not be a design flaw. Especially if someone is so heavy that he needs a leverage to lift his/her a** out of the seat.

:D :D :D

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow..................:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Barry

Barry

VCA Member
Reaction score
You people all work for Dodge or what? No one has ever used my door to pull themselves out of the car they know I would cut their arm off. I think I just got stuck with a lemon. Not only am I having trouble with the doors but the windshield leaked, and the drive train has a lashing noise. If they did recall the doors it would be the second time the car was recalled. If you will remember the front end had an issue a few years back.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You people all work for Dodge or what? No one has ever used my door to pull themselves out of the car they know I would cut their arm off. I think I just got stuck with a lemon. Not only am I having trouble with the doors but the windshield leaked, and the drive train has a lashing noise. If they did recall the doors it would be the second time the car was recalled. If you will remember the front end had an issue a few years back.

Drive train lash & noise is inherent with the T56 transmission.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another thing to avoid is starting the car with the doors open. The vibration tends to shake the doors violently sometimes. These hinges were originally designed for the GENI which had no windows or window regulators so they were much lighter. This seems to be a common GENII issue.

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just close (and latch) your door on a thick towel.. and then loosten the hinge bolts... once the door corrects itself due to the upwards pressure from the towel.. retighten the bolts...

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Barry you freaking whining, whimpy baby. Spent the 10 minutes and fix it like I did with my 2000, sh*t happens, or just sell the freaken car and buy a Vette, you'll be happier and we won't have to listen to your sniveling :nono:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you said the year of your car I missed it. THE YEAR MATTERS.

Gen 1 and G3 have little issue. Doors were way-ligher Gen 1. I guess you have a G2. I also suspect you dont use the "Door Cup" in the door panel to close your door. Those finger-well cups are there to prevent top-heavy leverage when closing the door the OTHER WAYS. I bet you are also a cool guy: "Arm-Resting-Out-The-Window" kind of driver? It matters. Especially with the G-forces the Viper can achieve. (vs the '63?)

If you know anything about RECALLS you would know that they are always related to one specific issue: SAFETY. Breaking your fingernail aint gonna alarm the feds enuf to recall the Viper. Replace your hinges, and keep them lubricated. Then, close your doors with the door cups. Dont pull youself up and out.....And stop using your rubber window scrubber for an armrest.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you said the year of your car I missed it. THE YEAR MATTERS.

Gen 1 and G3 have little issue. Doors were way-ligher Gen 1. I guess you have a G2. I also suspect you dont use the "Door Cup" in the door panel to close your door. Those finger-well cups are there to prevent top-heavy leverage when closing the door the OTHER WAYS. I bet you are also a cool guy: "Arm-Resting-Out-The-Window" kind of driver? It matters.

If you know anything about RECALLS you would know that they are always related to one specific issue: SAFETY. Breaking your fingernail aint gonna alarm the feds enuf to recall the Viper. Replace your hinges, and keep them lubricated. Then, close your doors with the door cups. And stop using your rubber window scrubber for an armrest.

LOL...yep it's MONDAY!!!! :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...yep it's MONDAY!!!! :D

Get out of JonB's way!!! :omg: :omg: :omg:
CIMG2616.jpg

onguardjeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could get some of those cool Lambo doors.

Seriously, You have got to be kidding! An eight year old car that needs a minor adjustment and you are bringing it up for the second time in this forum?

You sir, are the kind of customer, that I thank the Lord everyday, that I don't have to put up with any more, after I sold my service business.

You can go back now to spending the rest of the night looking for a cat hair that the carpet cleaning people missed.

V

Venomiss

Here is what I think Barry.
You must love your car enough to keep it for eight years-and drove it while probably having a great time at VOI.
If you love it then maintain it. There is not one car I can think of that my family has owned that didn't require upkeep. Especially after eight years.
So try some of the advice everyone on the boards gave and see what fixes your problems.

onguardjeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I am really sorry to hear about your door plight didn't you already post a thread about this in early June? Just use the search button if you haven't already. There are some threads on there that might be helpful for you to read.
This was your thread on June 6th, 2007. Maybe you didn't get enough information.
http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603076&highlight=door+hinges
Have you ever checked for a TS Bulletin on it either? Hope this helps you.:)

Venomiss, I don't know you but you have got to be the sweetest person I've ever heard. The post I quoted and the last one were WAY more nice than I could ever be. Attagirl!
jeff

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barry please take the time you are using posting here and adjust your door!!

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>they use the door as leverage therefore the hinges get bent over time.<<<

The door itself is NOT a "GRIP" to lift yourself out of the car. Insofar it would not be a design flaw. Especially if someone is so heavy that he needs a leverage to lift his/her a** out of the seat.

:D :D :D

I've only been in the club for a short time, but I have seen a fair number of people do exactly that when exiting their Vipers. :nono: I'm not sure this is the only cause, but it can't be good for the door and hinges.

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got rid of my 98 but don't the manual say something about when you jack the car up make sure the door is open or is that the corvette.Not kidding something is in the manual about jacking the door up.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venomiss, I don't know you but you have got to be the sweetest person I've ever heard. The post I quoted and the last one were WAY more nice than I could ever be. Attagirl!
jeff
Oh, that political correctness comes from somewhere, but I won't say where. Buy me a beer and I will tell you what she was mumbling under her breath as she typed.

And to think you are just a bunny in real life... :D

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****** Barry , do a search on the topic , there is plenty to learn about how to fix your mean old door........Ok since you no doubt will whine about having to look yourself , I did it for you , now read this , change your pantys and git after it.....Adjusting the door at the hinge. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------#1 remove 5 screws holding plastic piece in front of door. I used 5/16 socket. #2 place towel in spot where door rubs on weather stripping. Then close door as much as possible, it won't close all the way, just close it enough that it is pinching the towel and supporting the weight of the door. #3 Loosen the 4 bolts (13 mm)holding the hinge to the car itself, but do not remove them. Once you start loosening them a little bit, you will feel the door adjusting itself because you have the towel in place. After it adjusts re-tighten the bolts. #4 Remove towel and check door to see how it closes. It might take 2 or 3 times of loosening and tightening. If this is the case, vary how much towel is wedged between the door and sill. I was lucky and only had to do this twice on each side. #5 Once you are satisfied that they are adjusted correctly, then re-attach the plastic piece . #6 Check all gaps and make sure nothing hits the paint.Also lube the hinge and use a pencil to mark the original position , in case you need to go back and start over.__________________