Drag Wheel Question

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that 16" wheels will fit the rears on a GEN II, but will 15" fit? I know that some guys out there have used 15" (I thought I saw a picture of Chad running 15" wheels, but I have no idea how much modification it took). I ask because the MT Drag Radials run fairly wide 15" tires (325/50). Other drivers have talked about how good the MTs are and actually are competative with their ET Streets. Anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance.

Frank :usa:

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To fit a 15" wheel over the rear brakes you need to have the rotor turned 3/8" down in Dia and relocate the caliper to compensate for this. This will fit a race wheel like the Bogarts, Real, CCW etc.

Are you looking for tires to drive around town on, or mainly to and from the strip?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't you want to use the the 255 x 15 x 50 MT drag radials on the CCW's. That is the most common set-up. I have been running them about two months on the street. They are very interesting.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
acrdakota,

Thanks for the PM/link. I want a strickly drag combo that I could drive to/from the strip.

Jack,

Do you mean the 255/50/16? How well do they work? What type of front tire/wheel are you using? Thanks for the info.

Frank

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the MT ET bias ply's but didn't like putting the skinnies on for the street and you CAN'T run those with radials on the front. I have run the new MT radials on the street for about 45 days. They seem to hook as well as the bias ply's without all the hassles. They are not a tire you want to use for hot pursuit, but, in a straight line they work. I merely leave the Pilots on the front.

That was a typo, they are the 255 x 50R x 16. They actually work better then anticipated and they are very streetable, perfect for a car that you drive to the track.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey jack do you still use your skinnies at all? I know a guy looking for a set of 16" fronts if you want to part with them.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack,

One last question..........can you run the skinnies with the radials on the back? Everything I've heard says not to mix tires, especially with bias ply on the rear and radial on the front......but what about the opposite (radial back, skinny front)? Thanks

Frank

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack,

One last question..........can you run the skinnies with the radials on the back? Everything I've heard says not to mix tires, especially with bias ply on the rear and radial on the front......but what about the opposite (radial back, skinny front)? Thanks

Frank

I have run my truck with the 20's up front and the big hoosiers out back. It's not bad at all. With the skinnies you just have to be careful, don't try to auto-x it. Mixing bias/radials was a big deal years ago, tire tech is pretty good these days and it's no biggie.

Chad and Dave are both traping over 160 on slicks/skinnies and have no issues at all. Pretty sure Chads car was on skinnies/Drag radials for PGD as well.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw pics and videos of Chad's car with them, so that is why I asked. I have no worries about needing to trap at 160........I have to break 120 first, and that won't happen for awhile! LOL Thanks for the help.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me preface the following, proceed at you own risk. I have run drag radials with the bias skinnies. I talked to John Purner prior to doing such and he commented that the contact patch was so small up front that it didn't impact the car drastically.

I tried the reverse (pilots in front, ET Streets in back), I was only able to go about a 1/2 mile, the wobble was so pronouced you could get seasick. Another one that seems sacary, but works, is two spare tires up front and bias slicks in back.

If you want all the answers, call John Purner as CCW, he knows more than all the rest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32