drive without sill covers?

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to take my car in for exhaust replacement. Don't want shop to deal with the sill covers etc. Has anyone driven their car without the sill covers on and will it harm anything?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would worry about the heat coming up to the bottoms of your door, melting!:omg: It's only ten scews per side, take them off when you get there.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the wizard says no then I wouldn't do it.Being a dumba55 I did it for 2 weeks waiting on exhaust last year no problems but you know God loves fools and idiots!!! I just couldn't not drive it although I am sure I looked like white trash.:lmao::lmao:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, have you had the covers off yet?
Maybe just leave 2 screws in the top, 2 in the bottom each side and take them off when you get there, as suggested. Just a thought.

But if you've got a trailer why not use that. I shudder when I think about all that salt dust on our roads!

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it, no problems... The exhaust shop was about 15 miles from my house.. Everyone who passed me was like ***!!! It looks really wierd w/o them on.. Should be a problem. Just keep the car moving.. Dont sit there at idle too long, or it , might meld something..

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe if you do it now in the winter when its cold you should not have any issues. Paricularly in your neck of the woods.........

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it too for a day with no problems. Doesn't mean I wasn't lucky but seems for short time spand its OK.

Good luck with it!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have an extra set of side sill covers this person could borrow, so the shop doesn't harm his????

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have done it. you wont have ANY problems. it will actually run cooler if you ddrive like this.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was actually a guy who use to take his side sill covers off to run Viper Days events. Even though it looked weird, i'm sure it saved thme from getting beat up.....

Disregard my previous post...i don't know what got in to me....

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the same thing when I installed my exhaust. It is fine just don't look good without it :dunno: It rather be safe than sorry.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salt dust? *** is salt dust?

You don't want to know. It's what's left over after they've sanded and salted the roads. The ice and snow melt leaving a fine salty layer on the roads, particularly on the shoulders, you can easily see the white crusty salt sitting there. It's gross:mad:. When you're driving around here these days you can literaly taste it if you have your window down. Don't get me started on this...

<#1000

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've driven a couple days without the covers on with no negative effects. I had to have my sills repaired and didn't want to leave the car in body shop while they did the work. :drive:

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problems here either, in the hot AZ climates...I did put a fan on it in the garage when I got home though :smirk:

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seemed to get a few nicks in my door from rocks that would have been deflected by the front of the side sill. It probably depends on the roads you drive on as to whether it will be harmful or not.