Dyno"d my Mamba 700 miles new Blanger headers and cats side pipes

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hull, Ma. summer /Delray Beach Fl. winter
Dyno\"d my Mamba 700 miles new Blanger headers and cats side pipes

Love my Mamba more looks than I ever got with silver 04. Dyno'd before putting on Blanger System, headers and side pipes 3" the before was great 449 hp. 470 ftlbs. tq. the after SUCKED 470 hp. 490 ftlbs. tq. I have heard that it will get better I hope. I think I paid too much where i'm on vacation and not at my own shop. What should it cost?????? The 4" chrome tips look great but they move toward the rear (system must elongate with the heat) Sound is twice as loud and sounds more like a bus very looks when you stand on it.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Dyno

steve

I also had a 04 srt (silver) and just jot a mamba your 100% right about more looks with the mamba, I feel the same way. I had bullets and 1 set of cats on my silver srt and loved the sound. didn't have a chance to get it dynoed though. I am planning to do the same on the mamba as a short term fix til roecharger comes out and more step headers with a complete exhaust comes out. Under 5k

vd..
aka mamba d

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wait - a gain of 21 RWHP and 20 RWTQ *****? What exactly were you expecting? I thought that it was well-documented that SRTs didn't gain enormous amounts of power through bolt-ons...

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Dyno\"d my Mamba 700 miles new Blanger headers and cats side pipes

Those result are consistent with what we have seen, another 10hp and 10ftpds can be gained with tuning. Claims of 50hp withthe Bellangers are simply not true.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Cragin is still da man, and he knows his stuff. There were larger gains on the Gen IIs with Belangers, and some manufacturers of Headers have practically thrown up their hands in trying to even improve on the stock SRT-10 headers. Belanger has come up with some decent gains, and is commended for their diligence. One item we have seen, and would bet Dan C. also has, is better gains when the car is broken in. We do not feel you are going to see appropriate gains until you reach the 4-6K mileage figure. In my humble opinion 700 miles is simply too early. I would be fairly happy with your early results, but go enjoy your WhiteSnake and do the numbers over, down the road.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you have the K & N setup also? Is the headers/cats/ exhaust the only mods? very curious? if the gains are that little I think i would only do a hi-flo cat and catback system! Does anyone know the gain w/ catback system and K & N's?

OP
OP
M

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan and Bill the stock dyno figures seem to be good but when you look at the difference in the headers way less restrictions, smoother turns the cat is half the size the two cats stock and the muffler is half size 3" pipes against 2.5" 20 hp is not much. Bill I hope it improves. thanks both of you

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve - throw in a 3.54 gear. That seems to be the best way to add grins to an SRT. I'm planning on one soon, once I find the time to yank my axle apart.

nitro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Love my Mamba more looks than I ever got with silver 04. Dyno'd before putting on Blanger System, headers and side pipes 3" the before was great 449 hp. 470 ftlbs. tq. the after SUCKED 470 hp. 490 ftlbs. tq. I have heard that it will get better I hope. I think I paid too much where i'm on vacation and not at my own shop. What should it cost?????? The 4" chrome tips look great but they move toward the rear (system must elongate with the heat) Sound is twice as loud and sounds more like a bus very looks when you stand on it.
Can I get some pics of this white snake?

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just had my dyno with K&N and Belanger headers and exhaust with very little break in miles. I also hit 470 HP and 490 Tq. If I understand the formula correctly that would be 553 HP at the flywheel 576 Tq.

OP
OP
M

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just got off phone with Lou Belanger about horse power from his system he is a real bright guy. knows a hole bunch about racing, designing, and dyno's. He said that the PCM must learn what you have (changes that you have made) it takes 300 plus miles lot of short bursts WOT for it to learn that you have improved exhast (less back pressure etc) same with air filter, or anyother MOD.

The way you find Hp. and Torque loss on a Chassie Dyno is by doing a reverse pull letting the drive train drag down the dyno. In two of my vipers 2001 i had a 11% drag and the 2004 with less miles 10%. you take the DYNO NUMBERS and multiply by 110% or what every your parisitic loss 450 hp x 110= 495 crank Hp.
470 hp. x 110= 517 crank HP. same on torque.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

you take the DYNO NUMBERS and multiply by 110% or what every your parisitic loss

You might want to check your math.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually with a 10% loss you divide by .90 to come up with it, or so I am told. 450 / .90 = 500. 15% loss? Divide by .85.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Y2K3SRT's way of computing the HP and TQ is correct. You divide by .90 (assuming a 10% loss), not multiply by 110%. It's a small difference, but division is the correct formula.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is no correction that the PCM will make over a long peroid of driving that will greatly affect WOT performance. I have heard of other club members being told this, but it is incorrect. The adaptives in the PCM will adjust for closed loop over a period of time, but when you dyno you are in open loop. Open loop does check intake air charge temp and coolant temp, but the rest (including O2's and adaptives) are not even refrenced.
The gains appear to be in line with what we have seen in SRT's that we have installed bellangers on. The B&B step header gains more across the board every time, but like anything else, that extra power costs extra money.
As far as dyno's, Mustang dynometers are more accurate and better for tuning, but they do show a LOT less horsepower than the Dynojets do. The Dynojet, just like Kleenex and Coke, will always be the standard though....

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At 10% driveline loss the difference between the correct divisional approach and the multiplication approach is about 1% overall. However, the greater the figure used for driveline loss, the more inaccurate the result from multiplying instead of dividing.

For example (extreme, I know): 450/.5 = 900, but 450 x 150% = 675

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much more power does the B&B headers yield??? I'd be curious to know because I just put the belangers on and cost was NOT a factor in my decision to buy them. Sounds like I may not have done my homework properly.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

my calulator works fine 470x110=517 450x110=495 check yours

Your calculator may work fine but if you do the problem wrong...

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From what I have heard, the B&Bs net a very small gain. The Belangers are one of the best available. Can't back it up with dyno #'s, just what I've been told.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960