East Coast Performance 6060 conversion

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-...6-into-a-tr6060-the-ultimate-transmisson.html

Anyone done this specifically on a GEN-II yet? I've seen the threads with the physical swapping of the TR6060 in place of the T56, but this appears to be more along the lines of gutting the T56 and stuffing 6060 internals inside (for the most part). I've been in email discussions with Mike at EastCoast Performance already today and he wants me to give him a call tomorrow. It appears I broke something in my stock T56 today messing with Mike 99R/T's overdrive Weaver pulley on my ROE. 15 psi boost at low RPM in 3rd on a "not warmed up" tranny is a bad idea it appears...epic fail for my T56 today I fear. I figured the half shafts or stock clutch would have popped before the tranny seeing as I was just doing some slow-rolling messing around.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Todd @ A&C do a 2010 6060 swap in my car. I think the tranny was about 3500 or so brand new...the install price wasn't bad at all either...

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into the T56 magnum? 6060 internals, 56 case. Tremec produces it as a near direct swap and I put one in my Cobra when they came out. Cheaper, and stronger, alternative possibility. Factory rated from Tremec to 700ftlbs, much higher than the factory versions and a true OE rating, not an aftermarket exaggeration.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read, the T56 Magnum you reference has the 26 spline input vs. the Viper 30 spline input...but I have been wrong on occasion.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read, the T56 Magnum you reference has the 26 spline input vs. the Viper 30 spline input...but I have been wrong on occasion.

The input shafts are 26 spline on the T56 Magnum, GM T56 and Viper T56, but the output shaft is 30 splines on the Viper and the T56 Magnum only.

I'll call up a vendor tomorrow to find out if it's a direct swap. If so it's a great alternative. Much nicer shifting transmission with minimal cost.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info. After I posted, I thought about the input end since I kinda thought the input was 26 and Viper output was 30...so thanks for verifying that. I was reviewing Tony's 6060 swap and think that is the direction I'd like to go. I forgot how basic the VSS install turned out to be so no big deal there. Checking my sources for pullout 2008/2009 transmissions but nothing really available other than jacked-up prices from our usual suspects. Looks like used is around $2400+ shipping. New isn't that much more expensive if you can track one down. I have a call into Lakeland DOdge to see about a new crate 6060 with the various discounts applied. There is a local 2006 T-56 available that I think I can get very reasonable, but prefer to upgrade vs simply replace. If anyone has a line on a 6060 or other ideas let me know. Semper Fi

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, got some answers to a few Q&As...synopsys below:
"Yes we have done dozens of them for the high hp Viper guys...Please remember our unit is much stronger than a stock TR6060 or Magnum...

We have a unit just for the Vipers, that has alot of major upgradeds throughout the trans...Upgraded Synchro Blocking Rings, 9310 input shaft, 9310 cluster...

Your price right now during our sale is $XXXX + freight to you...I will pay for freight back on your core...Also remember the stock unit [TR6060] is only rated up to 700 tq..That's all.." Unquote.

PM me if you want the pricing.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I had taken a better look the other day when I put my 6060 back in, but I do remember thinking how much beefier some of the housing pieces look compared to the T56. Doesn't mean it's stronger though. We do know for sure that the yoke will be stronger due to the wall thickness.
If you go the 6060 direction, I have some thin aluminum I bought to see if it would work for a shim under the speedo tone ring. I can send you some of that. I had a machine shop make mine and it was costly since he started with a chunk of aluminum and turned it down to very thin. There is also another Viper guy (actually a transmission tech) that used a two pc. trans bushing and turned down. If I were doing it again, I would also look into small engine bearings (if the thin aluminum won't work) The correct diameter (somewhat) and then turning one thinner.
I forget the year of your car but it may also be possible to use the antilock brake tone rings with a stock speedo sensor reading those.
I am currently sensing off of a front rotor that I added (tone) tabs on to. If you do not have an AEM then you would need a speedo box. I did the rotor because when the auto is in the car, I still needed speed readings.
I'll be glad to talk with you on the phone.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can get a new 6060 from Dodge for $3080.00 with no core charge or shipping. Also, there are a lot of used SRT-10 truck T56's available for around $2400 delivered. Amazing used prices are what they are as compared to new units. I guess the VSS would be the only modification on the 6060, and I think I have a few ideas concerning that as well. I did drive the car around the block yesterday just to verify I wasn't imagining all the crunching going on...Yep. Not good. Oh yeah...01 GTS.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can get a new 6060 from Dodge for $3080.00 with no core charge or shipping. Also, there are a lot of used SRT-10 truck T56's available for around $2400 delivered. Amazing used prices are what they are as compared to new units. I guess the VSS would be the only modification on the 6060, and I think I have a few ideas concerning that as well. I did drive the car around the block yesterday just to verify I wasn't imagining all the crunching going on...Yep. Not good. Oh yeah...01 GTS.

Macedo just put a 6060 in Canal's TT GTS. He is close to you, give him a call.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No kidding? I saw the car in January when I was there. I actually have John's old ROE system from that car. Larry pulled it off when he was starting the TT build and John sold it to me along with his Bellagers. I'll drop Sir Larry a note and see what he recommends. Thanks Simms!!

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropped the tranmission today. It seems the input shaft is pretty rough when I turn it...so I guess the bearing said "by by." Oil looked pretty good and I didn't see any obvious evidence of breakage. Not sure what direction I'll take with the fix. Pretty busy with other things right now anyways.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drop it off at your local tranny shop, have them check it out and replace all the bearing if nothing is broken. They will take a week or better I bet and when you're ready to go back to th ecar, it will be fixed. I am still looking forward to see the power you will make with the pulley and 2.8 blower.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The input shafts are 26 spline on the T56 Magnum, GM T56 and Viper T56, but the output shaft is 30 splines on the Viper and the T56 Magnum only.

I'll call up a vendor tomorrow to find out if it's a direct swap. If so it's a great alternative. Much nicer shifting transmission with minimal cost.

So what was the outcome? Does Tremec make a Viper specific swap, I could not find evidence of it. Seems like the ultimate tranny, personally I would never trust ANY aftermarket trans company. Hey that's just negative me though................. I don't even want to remind myself of the "Impossible to break" tranny I've purchased in the past. It's OEM (Tremec) for me or nothing.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what was the outcome? Does Tremec make a Viper specific swap, I could not find evidence of it. Seems like the ultimate tranny, personally I would never trust ANY aftermarket trans company. Hey that's just negative me though................. I don't even want to remind myself of the "Impossible to break" tranny I've purchased in the past. It's OEM (Tremec) for me or nothing.

I apologize, I had gotten so busy I never checked. I'll send an email now to have someone check tomorrow.

I agree with your sentiments though; any company can "rate" a trans to a certain torque capacity. When the OE supplier rates it at 700 tq there is a safety factor involved; this isn't the case for an aftermarket company. Imagine if we were to rate the factory T-56; it's held up to 1100+ TQ numerous times in Vipers. The rating is merely half that though. As an aside, recently we tested a 3000 PSI rated hose; it didn't burst until over 14000 PSI. That's a safety factor!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960