ECM upgrade question?

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 06 Coupe with Corsa cat backs and filters and was thinking next I would change the program in the ECM. I know DC Performance will reflash them for 15-40 hp gain, but I was wondering what other options I have. Any input from your experience would be appricated.

Thank you!

OP
OP
S

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the SCT X Calbrator in their car? How does this one compare with the DC Performance re-flash?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the SCT X Calbrator in their car? How does this one compare with the DC Performance re-flash?

I cant compare , but my vote would be for the DC reflash. I have it and its great. They have worked with a ton of GEN 3's. I noticed nice midrange gains on the dyno and some more peak power, car drives alot better now.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant compare , but my vote would be for the DC reflash. I have it and its great. They have worked with a ton of GEN 3's. I noticed nice midrange gains on the dyno and some more peak power, car drives alot better now.
Same experience as Mike. I didn't gain a lot of HP but, I did gain a fair amount of torque and the whole rpm range is greatly improved. Leaner and meaner no doubt. I can only say good about DC I really don't know about the others.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same experience as Mike. I didn't gain a lot of HP but, I did gain a fair amount of torque and the whole rpm range is greatly improved. Leaner and meaner no doubt. I can only say good about DC I really don't know about the others.

What does DC charge. Can I get a whole new ECU and just swap with my stock ECU and keep the stock as a back up?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What does DC charge. Can I get a whole new ECU and just swap with my stock ECU and keep the stock as a back up?

Yes, Thats what I did. For one, i didnt want to not be driving my car when ou have to send computer in, but second, i wanted a backup. So you can purchase a stock ECM from Dc Performance for about $300, they program it and then send it to you and it takes about 15-20 minutes to swap out.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the calibrator from DC Performance. You can upload their tune and put your stock tune back when ever you want. It can hold a couple tunes, race gas tune, street tune, stock tune..etc.....call them for more info. That's the way to go.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Thats what I did. For one, i didnt want to not be driving my car when ou have to send computer in, but second, i wanted a backup. So you can purchase a stock ECM from Dc Performance for about $300, they program it and then send it to you and it takes about 15-20 minutes to swap out.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I am leaning towards a separte ECU.
Have to tell you I am very jealous..... California, would love to drive the Viper year round.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve I don't think you can go wrong either way you go at DC performance Remember money can't buy you love but, It can buy loads of HP. Happy Thanksgiving, you also Mike...
Chris

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows what is the difference between the Mopar PCM and the DC reflashed PCM ?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BENEFITS OF HAVING YOUR ECM REPROGRAMMED AFTER ALL YOUR MODS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED

This DC Performance ECM Upgrade is a plug and play mod. We had a custom program made for our highly modified test mule ( Viper ), and put it in a new ECM so we could retain the old one for EMISSION TESTING and FOR WHEN YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOU VIPER INTO THE DEALER FOR WORK TO BE DONE. This is very important as the dealer has a bad habit of downloading any new updates into your car when it is in for service. If the dealer does this will overwrite the custom program. All you need to do is spend 10 minutes swapping the ECM's over when the car is cold. The one thing you need to do before installing this upgrade program is to install a new 180 degree thermostat as the upgrade reprograms the temperature so that the fan comes on at a lower temperature and make it cycle longer. It is also very important to specify what gasoline octane is available in your area as this is also entered into the program.

The car runs much smoother.
The car run quieter.
The engine temp on a 90 degree day never gets above 185.
The oil temp on a 90 degree day never gets above 200 even with the A/C running.
The car is a hole lot cooler when the A/C is running as the engine coolant is cooler making the engine run cooler therefore you get cooler inside the car.
The car no longer has any popping when you let off on the gas.
The car has a very smooth acceleration right to red line and is much smoother and sounds better than the stock ECM.
I have found that my fuel mileage has increased a little bit to.[/font]
The car has a lot more jump to it when cruising and flooring the gas. Same holds true for mid range accelerations.
We find that now you can drive in 5th gear or 6th gear the car really pulls when passing a slower car.

Last edited:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great update Robbie !

I have an 06 Coupe and want to improve a couple of things. I am still undecided between: VEC3, Calibrator, Mopar PCM, DC reflash.

This is what I want:

- Better acceleration by disableling AFR control at WOT right away when you hit the pedal
- Calibrate 13-13.5 AFR for WOT
- Keep AFR at 14.8 for cruising
- No check engine light when cats are removed
- Brake lights working with Air bags disabled (That's a big issue)
- Leaner fuel at decceleration (No poping sound)
- Start fan earlier
- Tune ignition for 93 oct fuel

What setup is better for me ?
I would vote for the VEC3 but I don't want to put too much of my time for tuning.

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're swapping ECMs, one for the flash and the stock one, will your odometer reading and the ECM stored mileage reading get out of sync when you take the car into the dealer? Wouldn't this be a giveaway to the service tech that ECM mods are done to the car.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you're swapping ECMs, one for the flash and the stock one, will your odometer reading and the ECM stored mileage reading get out of sync when you take the car into the dealer? Wouldn't this be a giveaway to the service tech that ECM mods are done to the car.

First the dealer would have to prove the computer swap is causing your warranty concern. But they really dont look for that. When I swapped mine, mielage stayed same on odometer. Thats what Tech will see, they usually arent digging around for stuff unless you blow your motor.
And there is way too much invloved to prove a mod was the cause of failure. If you use a reputable tuner like DC Performance, they will stand behind their work and if you ever had a problem, I bet they would help work things out with dealer, I really wouldnt worry about it.
And if your just going in for window prob, etc, they wont even care.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike R is totally correct. I had the ECM re flashed on my 2003 viper for the recall and left in the DC Tune. The dealer could have cared less. But understand I was right next to the car when he did the re flash. If I were to leave the car I Wolf have swapped back in the stock ECM as dealers love to update anything they can to pad their warranty claim for more money. To the best of my knowledge mileage is not stored in the ECM as my mileage has never changed when I have swapped the Dc ECM and the stock ECM back and forth. There is about 25,000 miles difference between the two units and it always shows the total mileage no matter which ECM is plugged in.

5THVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 04 paxton supercharged car can I still get this tune or would I be better off to take my car and get it dynoed tuned...

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best leave the tuning to DC performance. Call them and tell them the mods you have. They will calibrate a tune for your application. I think DC is getting another 40-50 hp out of a paxton with their tune.

I have a 04 paxton supercharged car can I still get this tune or would I be better off to take my car and get it dynoed tuned...