ECU Tuning Problem

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 03 with bolt-ons that I am having tuned. I did a cat delete, 160-degree thermostat, throttle body, etc., so I really need to get a tune to smooth things out and take advantage of the mods.

The shop doing the work is an SCT dealer and has been on the phone with them trying to get the codes they need. They think that the problem is that I have a MOPAR computer instead of the stock unit. SCT is telling them that the MOPAR unit can't be tuned.

Does this sound right to you guys? If so, does anyone want to trade a stock ECU for a MOPAR unit?

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Dan Cragin at DC Performance. (310) 841-6996

Good advice. Dan wasn't sure whether or not the MOPAR ECU could be re-programmed but recommended that I tune a stock unit either way. I need to find out if I do actually have a non-stock unit and he said he just needs the part number in order to know for sure. So I have attached a picture of my ECU so one of you helpful viper experts can tell me what number to give him. I am curious to know if the radiator hose rubbed off the number I need.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok. I don't think I have a Mopar ECU. I found a picture of one online and it has a large and colorful sticker that labels it as such.

I think the problem is that the middle number is the part number and the radiator hose has rubbed it off. The Dodge dealer said the part # should be 4865501AF. Can someone look at their Gen III (models built prior to 11/2002 have a different part #) and let me know if the the middle number is that part number? Also, does the above picture match your ECU?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the problem is that the middle number is the part number and the radiator hose has rubbed it off. The Dodge dealer said the part # should be 4865501AF. Can someone look at their Gen III (models built prior to 11/2002 have a different part #) and let me know if the the middle number is that part number? Also, does the above picture match your ECU?

The ECU part number changed frequently on the Gen III-- every time there was a software revision. I've seen several different part numbers in '05 alone. While the ECU hardware stayed the same, Chrysler considered different programming suitable reason to change the part number, which makes sense if you are ordering a drop in replacement for a particular car. Check out the partial list of part numbers on the ordering page for the SCT tuner on the Viper Specialty Performance web site.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Sonoman. SCT just called my tuner and said they figured out the problem. I am heading over there this evening to see if they can get it done. If not, I am mailing the dyno sheets and the ECU to Dan at DC to see if he can figure it out.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of help or responses I got on this topic. I guess I should have written "WHICH EXHAUST IS BEST?!" or "Are Vipers Fast?" in the subject line so I could have gotten some input. I think it's weird that forum regulars always complain about people posting the same old crap without searching first, but those posts get a million responses. Here I have posted after extensive searching yielded no results and I get two responses. I'm not bitter, just ready to get my Viper back on the road and tuned.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe, and I very well may be wrong, that if you plug in an SCT Handheld, there should be an option to get the processor ID.

I also think the number is printed somewhere else on the car, but this may very well be wrong. I'll go check on both when I get home.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Sonoman. SCT just called my tuner and said they figured out the problem. I am heading over there this evening to see if they can get it done. If not, I am mailing the dyno sheets and the ECU to Dan at DC to see if he can figure it out.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of help or responses I got on this topic. I guess I should have written "WHICH EXHAUST IS BEST?!" or "Are Vipers Fast?" in the subject line so I could have gotten some input. I think it's weird that forum regulars always complain about people posting the same old crap without searching first, but those posts get a million responses. Here I have posted after extensive searching yielded no results and I get two responses. I'm not bitter, just ready to get my Viper back on the road and tuned.

Sorry for the late reply but we do host the parts catalogs in the Illustrated Upgrade's section. According to the 2003 catalog, the ECU Part # is 04865501AE up to 11/06/02 manufacturing date and 04865501AF after 11/06/02.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The part number worked and the tune came out awesome. I'll post the results once I get the info emailed to me.

I realize my post sounded pretty *******. I didn't mean it to come out like that. I was mostly joking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi