Engine detailing

Triple7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any suggestions for polishing up the Viper script and logo on the valve covers and top ribs on the intake runners on a stock Gen II engine? On my last GTS I tried using a pencil eraser (someone suggested, but no help) as well as my dremel with Mother's allum. polish with mixed results (good on runners, not so good on the valve covers.) Thanks

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone suggesting using a very fine grit sandpaper glued to a block of wood. This prevents the sandpaper from rounding the edges or scuffing the red.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3m Scotch Brite pads work very well on the intake ribs. 3M 1" wide Emory cloth works good too. Kelly's wood idea is good, but to go a step further, get a body shop rubber sanding block that holds the sandpaper in place without glue.

Steve

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted mine over. I masked them off well with tape and a model knife. I used some very fine grit sandpaper taped on a flat block to scuff up the lettering. Then, I took a model brush and painted over them. The paint I used is called POR-20. It is a high temp, bright finish, paint. The bottle says it is tolerant up to 1500 degrees. The web site is www.por15.com. Go to the high-temp paint section. 8oz can is ~$17.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone suggesting using a very fine grit sandpaper glued to a block of wood. This prevents the sandpaper from rounding the edges or scuffing the red.

Did this and worked AMAZING. It looks BRAND new. very fine grit is the key. :headbang:

Stephen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Norb you have an e-mail, hope this helps. I try to post the pictures here for everyone to see but :curse: I must learn how to do that.

Steve

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James, what grit did you use? 1600?
I did use a slighty rougher grit at first, but definitely finished with a 1600 to get a perfectly smooth finish, i will post some pics later when i have time, but i was very pleased with the results, i wish i took before pictures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas