Extended Warrantees (What one to get?)

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My warrantee is up later this month and was wondering if it was worth it to get the "top of the line" extended warrantee. As, the viper does not have that many "bell and whistles" that could break. (no power mirrors, stuff like that...) Should I get the basic powertrain warrantee, get the "top of the line" or something in-between?
confused.gif
I haven't had to take my car in for any "real" service thus far. Just want see what others think about this.

I am going next week to have my PCM reprogrammed, but what if an engine control computer were to go bad, does anyone know if this would be covered under the basic powertrain warrantee, or is this considered a "extended electrical" item only covered under the best warrantee?

-Sean

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC EXTENDED CARE PLUS! I DON'T THINK YOU CAN GET MAX CARE; BUT IF YOU CAN GET IT. FOR A 96' YOU HAVE UNTIL 12-31-03 TO PURCHASE THE DC WARRANTY.

TW

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kind of thought the same thing. But when my door hinge stopped holding the door open...$400. Back up lights stopped working...$130. Dome light switch...$$$...$$$.$$$
It adds up in a hurry. I got the full blown warranty for my 98 just in case the tranny or engine goes. Plus it's a good selling point. The little things add up fast.
But I have a few years left on mine. I'm not sure how long of coverage you can get for yours.
Regards,
Jamie

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The contracts available on a used car are:
1. Powertrain
2. Powertrain Plus
3. AddedCare
4. AddedCare Plus

Buy at your own risk, as the Moss-Magnuson Act , does not allow you to extend your contract after it expires. There are folks that have done it and had claims denied later. This is for our information and obviously you can make your own decision.

Mileage limits are from 24/24,000 miles to 48/48,000 and are available depending on model year.

OP
OP
S

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Pemberton:
Buy at your own risk, as the Moss-Magnuson Act , does not allow you to extend your contract after it expires. There are folks that have done it and had claims denied later. This is for our information and obviously you can make your own decision.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,
My warranty has not yet expired, I will be renewing it before the end of the warranty period. Does this make a difference?

-Sean

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the 7/50K extended warranty from Chrysler but as always is the case, what breaks is not covered under warranty. In my case 2 problems that were not covered:

1. driver door trim has been scuffed away due to bad installation (and my laziness in getting it fixed right away under the 3/36K).

2. fuel cap shows corrosion that is also considered trim and is not covered.

NO TRIM
SORRY TRIM
TRIM NO WAY
Yada yada yada

-Avi

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can get the Maximum Care Service Contract from Chrylser, get it! I got the 0 deductible one and it has been super. As you can see in my avitar etc, I got the engine rebuild done through it too, no cost at all! The folks on the other end of the phone line are great to work with, very pleasant and business like, very service oriented and want to please the customer. At least that is what I found when I called them. I have nothing but good things to say about Chrylser's service for the Viper, it has been excellent.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen guys get the gas cap replaced under warranty before. I don't know if it was the extended or not though. It might be worth checking into further.

Personally, I'd get the MGW cap and forget the stock one.

Steve