EXTREMELY disappointed with Sean Roe clutch adjustment

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: This has nothing to do with TUNER bashing, simply a bad PART and/or DESIGN staff.

OK, maybe I had a bum part or maybe I had a stressful weekend or something, or I just haven't been satisfied yet by an aftermarket part (other than smooth tubes
smile.gif
), but Sunday night I put the clutch pedal adjuster in and I'm unbelievably perturbed.

<-- the rest clipped for the time being -->

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by 2tall on 05-13-2002 at 09:46 PM</font>

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to give him credit for being able to sell a piece of metal with 2 holes drilled in it for 25 bucks. Kind of like the pet rock. I ordered one. When it came in the mail I was pretty amazed at the engineering feat that went into the pedal adjustment. Pretty high tech stuff.

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus Holy Moley. Did you even call Sean before posting? I have ALWAYS recieved the highest level of service and the Highest quality of parts from Sean.

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had no problems with mine.Pedal height is exactly as advertised and a breeze to install.Took me about 8 minutes to install mine and 5 to install SOCRATES's.(Easier the 2nd time)Of course,Im 5 ft 7 so I didnt have a problem getting into the footwell.As far as price,well,who cares.You just spent 70K on a car.You should be more upset with DC for designing the thing the way they did in the first place.

Joe

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now this is whining. One thing is to complain about a gigantic piece of what I consider UGLINESS called the SRT. Its quite another to write a page about a $25 part. Congratulations, you get the whiner's award. Where's Geralds post?
laugh.gif

Actually I think Seans clutch pedal adjustment works great. I thought the viper's stock engagement point was just awkward. Moving the engagement point closer to the floor put it in the perfect position (...the clutch pedal too!) 2Tall, I think you are just too tall. that might be the problem.

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, perhaps I jumped the gun in my anger. Still, the whole point is that I should have to make this post in the first place.

Mike P, if you'd be so kind as to remove my little rant until such time as I've let other people give me their input...

So, anyone else have problems with this part? Anyone have similiar problems (piece parallel to link bumps post, revised linkage system bumps firewall, clips break, or pedal not adjusted as advertised)?

I would be the first to assume installer error, but the install can't be any simpler... (which doesn't say that I can't screw something up that simple...)

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AHhhhhhhhhhh what rant?
smile.gif

2Tall anyone who has seen your posts here know this was out of charecter for you. Just a tough day for ya. We all have em.

Ok not get on that flame suit I loaned you.
cool.gif

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt you get the other box? The other box has a hydraulic assist that is electronically adjustable. Mine is perfect. After I opened the 2nd box I was like "SWEET! NOW WE'RE TALKING!!"

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SapphireGTS:
Didnt you get the other box? The other box has a hydraulic assist that is electronically adjustable. Mine is perfect. After I opened the 2nd box I was like "SWEET! NOW WE'RE TALKING!!"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

um... musta been lost in transit... or something.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just kidding. I have the adjustment and was a little underwhelmed. Congrats on the viper! You used to have a camaro right?

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
Thats cruel!....but good!
laugh.gif

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When dealing with someone's reputation and ultimately their lively-hood, you should have atleast given him the chance to make it right..... It takes years to build a name and recognition and can be taken away in seconds,.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just call Sean and he will help you out or even take it back if you are that un-satisfied. It works great.

I had bought a belly pan bottom breather and fan kit from Sean, then ended up lemon lawing my car due to engine problem. he offered to take the parts back because I would not have the car anymore.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by SLITHRN on 05-30-2002 at 10:15 AM</font>

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SLITHRN:
Just call Sean and he will help you out or even take it back if you are that un-satisfied. It works great.

I had bought a belly pan bottom breather and fan kit from Sean, then ended up lemon lawing my car due to engine problem. he offered to take the parts back because I would not have the car anymore.

Save your DISCLAIMER, Tuner bashing is exactly what you are doing. I seen the first part of your post until you wiped your *** and had it removed.

Maybe you should take it to a dodge dealer and let them install it for you if you can handle it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the disclaimer WAS in the original post also.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all seriousness, Sean is one of the most, if not the most fair, reputable, ethical viper tuner out there. He often spends time talking to me answering dumb questions during his busy day. Many other viper tuners just blow you off. Whats the big deal about $25? Yes, any of us could have bought a piece of scrap aluminum and could have made that part cheaper, so what? Would you have known how to do it? Would you have known what distanceto drill the holes on the linkage? Would you have wanted to go through the trouble of measuring and drilling and finding scrap aluminum to save $25??!?!?! You just bought a NEW $70K car! whoever said you should be complaining about DC the way the stock clutch engages is right. The clutch adjustment works great for me. I dont know what you are complaining about. No one else has had a problem. I have NEVER read another post about this. Moreover, you ARE tuner bashing. AND you are bashing one of the best tuners out there. Sean has worked hard to establish his reputation but it is uninformed posts such as these that cause reputations to be wrongly tarnished. You are so informed that you believed there is a second box!
laugh.gif
Maybe we have a replacement for AB. Why should he send you extra clips? I DIDNT NEED extra clips.

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'd prefer to keep this one on topic so all I'll say is: I removed the rant, the topic is only asking about issues with a particular part and doesn't have anything to do with him as a tuner... I also stated in the original post that I was ok with a $25 part, *specifically* because I was paying for knowledge, not the material. That was clipped, along with the complaint that it was $25.

And YES, I know there is no other box.

That was a joke.
wink.gif

As far as installation, I did this under the watchful eye of my old brother (DCX mechanic by day, fledgling tuner by night), as one of the mods I put on over the weekend. So while it's possible that I did something wrong, it's not likely. He actually tried removing the second clip after I broke the first, with similiar results. More than likely, the force is stronger with you, Smokin.

So, I asked if anyone else had problems.

Thank you and have a great day
smile.gif

SapphireGTS: As I have said before, it was a "bitchin" Camaro ('00 SS). And yes, I did have a mullet (just like the every other growing boy in the rest of my one horse town), but I shaved it off at about 11 years of age.
smile.gif

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had it in my car for a LONG time now. Grabbed one of the first ones. It was a little hard to install, only because of the location down in the footwell, but that's certainly NOT Sean's fault. It performs as advertised, and I'm satisfied. Now, every time I drive another Viper without it..... it feels REAL strange and freaks me out trying to nail the revs on a downshift.

Also, I'm fairly certain Sean will be ready to refund your money since you're not happy...... as soon as HE finds out that you're not.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In" my company I have two rules:
1."If you have an issue with someone and you take the issue to other than the person you have the issue with, you are gossiping.
2. NO GOSSIPING ALLOWED.

You owe this board a retraction
You owe Sean a phone call and apology.

I installed the item in question and it has performed flawlessly over 31,000 miles including countless open track events.
Install was a challenge, that had only to do with the enclosed working environment.

I have purchased many items from Sean since then and find he is THE MOST professional Viper product supplier I have dealt with.

Your comments say nothing to me about him....a lot about who you are.
Time to clean up

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett, it's a nice day, screw work, going fishing, got any worms left in that can??
laugh.gif

This board is rough when things go astray, that's a given.....

My windshield is tight, NGR is my friend, my brakes rock, and that stock exhaust is flat out b*tchin!!

see ya around,

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good Morning,

If the kit (clutch bellcrank link, instructions on how to adjust the gas pedal for better heel / toe downshifting and adjust / ensure full throttle) was not to your liking for the $21.95, simply call us and let us know you're returning it for a refund. If you have installation trouble, simply call us for help. Our toll free # is 1-866-Ask-Sean and my extension is 1, followed by the # sign.

Brett,
I didn't see whatever was deleted, but did get a surprise call from one of the moderators this morning asking me if I had seen this. A phone call when you need help would get a faster response.

Regarding the price of the link kit, I wish it was less than $21.95 (was $24.95 up until a month or two ago). But, that bar of 6061 T6 aluminum didn't walk into the shop, cut itself to length, drill holes at the correct spots, write & print instructions and place itself in a bag all on it's own. Unfortunately, those costs add up when you're dealing with small volume parts.

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 05-14-2002 at 08:09 AM</font>

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Roe clutch adjustment and really like it better than the stock setup. My problem was that my knee hit the dash every time I lifted my leg to engage the clutch. This little part did the trick and made all the pedals the same height.

I had someone else install it because it was a pretty tight fit for me. I haven't had any problems and would definitely do it over again. It would have cost me more than $25 to design and make the part because I don't have access to the right tools.

2Tall, I know you said it wasn't tuner bashing, but I have to say that I've dealt with Sean Roe and his products many times and have never been disappointed. He always has time to talk (even though he's as busy as a one-legged man in an a$$-kicking contest!). Your's was the first complaint about the clutch linkage I've heard. I hope you get it worked out because it really seems to help the drivability of my Viper.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I have never done business with Sean (hope to soon though with the supercharger) I have always thought him to be an upfront guy. Due to his reputation I would do business with him without hesitation. It would seem to me that $21.95 was not a bad price...and here's why. He had to engineer, design, and make these parts. All the time and money is spent in R&D. I work in the TV & radio production business and an engineer friend of mine needed to adjust one of our TV cameras. He worked on it for only a few moments, and gave me a bill for $100. In a joking way I said.."$100 for adjusting a screw?!?" He replied, "No, $100 for knowing which screw to adjust".

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SapphireGTS:
You have to give him credit for being able to sell a piece of metal with 2 holes drilled in it for 25 bucks. Kind of like the pet rock. I ordered one. When it came in the mail I was pretty amazed at the engineering feat that went into the pedal adjustment. Pretty high tech stuff.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There once was an engineer who had worked for a certain company for many years and was incharge of a large semiconductor fab facility prior to his retirement. About a year after he retired, he received a frantic call from the company, begging him to please help them, they had a line down and could not find the problem and were losing millions of dollars every hour of down time. The company indicated that they would be glad to pay him if he could solve the problem. So he came in and soon had the problem solved. In order to make certain the line would never be down due to this particular problem again, he took a marker and placed a mark next to a control knob on one of the pieces of equipment.

Later the company recieved a bill for $50,000 which infuriated the current facilities manager. The manager promptly called the engineer back into the facility to get a reasonable bill and to justify it's cost. So the engineer ripped up the old bill and wrote a new one:

Placing mark on knob $1.00
Knowing where to put it $49,999
-----------------------

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for some closure on this...

I called and talked to Sean, and he was professional and helpful, as mentioned, and which I never disputed.

Of the three things I claimed weren't correct, 2 were due to the design of the part in coordination with the design of the car. The third was a flaw in my car which the part simply aggrevated.

In the final analysis, the part is better than the stock version but is not without it's flaws, and ultimately not what I was expecting, hence my "excited" state.

However, the real benefit of this is that Sean was open to conversation and offered to take it back (though I'd rather have a *perfect* part -- right along with a *perfect* world (sarcasm on my part)), so I have to respect him for that.

S

SUN RA KAT

Can these adjustments work with ALL the pedals? I would like to adjust ALL my pedals closer to the firewall to give me some more legroom (I'm 6'5" tall).

BTW - Sean's clutch adjustment kit works better than great for me.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What? What is all this talk about pedals being adjustable?

Next you are gonna tell me about power windows? Sheeesh...

Tomer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_