FACTORY REP FROM DODGE SAYS ALL VIPERS RUN HOT! HE SAYS 260 DEGREES IS OK!

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY TOTALLY STOCK 2001 RT-10 HAS BEEN RUNNING VERY HOT FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS (240+ DEGREES)! THE CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY AND THE FACTORY REP DAN RUPP SAYS IT IS NORMAL AND "IT IS OK FOR VIPER ENGINE TEMPS TO RUN WELL INTO THE RED".. HE SAID THAT HE HAS HAD NUMEROUS VIPERS AND THEY ALL RUN VERY HOT AND THAT IS "NORMAL AND WONT HURT THE ENGINE TO RUN THEM AT 260 DEGREES"!

RECENTLY MY CAR WAS TAKEN TO THE DODGE DEALER ON A COLD DAY WHEN IT WAS 59 DEGREES OUTSIDE. WHEN I GOT TO THE DEALER I HAD THEM PLUG IN THE DRB BECAUSE THE GAUGE WAS OVER THE 3/4 MARK..THE DRB CONFIRMED THAT THE ENGINE TEMP WAS AT 234 DEGREES ON A COLD DAY!

I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE I REPEAT EVERYTHING!.... IT HAS BEEN AT D/C PERFORMANCE OVER 10 TIMES ( THEY ARE GREAT) BUT THE CAR STILL RUNS VERY HOT

I HAVE ALREADY SPENT TIME AND MONEY ON THE FOLLOWING...TRYING TO CURE THE PROBLEM

1. ARROW REBUILT ENGINE ( FOUND LINER PROBLEM)
2. NEW LARGER RADIATOR
3. NEW WATER PUMPS (4)
4. NEW 170 DEGREE THERMOSTATS (4)
5. WATER WETTER
6. LEAN COOLANT 30/70
7. CHECKED FOR RUNNING LEAN
8. BURPED THE SYSTEM (20 TIMES)
9 NEW TEMP GAUGE AND SENDER
10. NEW PCM (2)
11. CHECKED FOR COLAPSED LOWER HOSE

ECT, ECT ,ECT

I HAVE POSTED NUMEROUS TIMES ON THE BOARD FOR POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS..

THE REP IS GIVING ME THE PARTY LINE.. IT IS NORMAL ..ALL VIPERS DO THAT...

ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES OR A SOLUTION ON HOW TO DEAL WITH D/C "IT IS OK FOR VIPER ENGINE TEMPS TO RUN WELL INTO THE RED"

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: FACTORY REP FROM DODGE SAYS ALL VIPERS RUN HOT! HE SAYS 260 DEGREES IS

The hottest I have seen my viper run was 200 and that was when I ran it hard as hell.

Maybe you should consider getting a new radiator and or thermastat, but 260 is NOT normal.

I would give the wizard a call to see what he thinks.

Good luck

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tell Dan Rupp to find a new job.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Definetly NOT correct! I had one that ran up to 365+ on the OBD scanner. needed Arrow rebuild and came back like it was on steroids. mine was an H20 pump problem

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Have the rep call someone reputble to get an opinion...that is screwed up!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine was running around 235 and got tired of it running so hot. New aluminum radiator, 170 degree thermostat and a much better fan cured my problem. Where it used to run say at 225, it now runs at 190! Was told they do run hot though so they could pass emissions testing. I would tell this Dan guy to take a flying leap!! :eek:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan Rupp obviously doesn't know his ass from his elbow. My question is if the larger radiator is aluminum. If you had an aluminum radiator maybe that would help. You could also maybe go with a higher output fan that gives more CFM. A possible problem which is slim could be that the water temp gauge is not reading correctly or something is not allowing it to read correctly. Also tell ******* Dan to give you his home number so if your motor overheats you can call him to bring you his car as a loaner until he fixes yours. I feel bad for your frustration especially when a so called Rep is incompetant and has the power to decide on whether your car is going to be repaired or not. If I were you I wouldn't tolerate it.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

260 is ridiculous. Mine runs around 200. On hot days in stop and go traffic (<5 mph) it inches up to around 230-240 at which point I stop. This has happened around 3 times only in the past 7 years. You are definitely being taken for a ride. Given that you have tried all the above stated fixes, I don't know what to add.

Can the liner problem with the arrow rebuild be the culprit? Did the overheating problem occur only after the rebuild? If so then the rebuild might be the culprit. Maybe there is incomplete circulation. I'm sure you have already been down this troubleshooting path but I had to ask because you've fixed all the common (and not so common) issues.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stu???? Can you read?????

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh yeah I forgot tell Dan I want to hold his face against the the valve cover when the car is running at 260 and then he can tell me if it feels normal.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yeah, tell Dan that 260 is normal for his face even on a cold day.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Definetly NOT correct! I had one that ran up to 365+ on the OBD scanner. needed Arrow rebuild and came back like it was on steroids. mine was an H20 pump problem

That would be quite the feat. Seeing as 365 is quite impossible. Possibly you meant 265 (which would still be excessively hot) or there was a circuit issue.

Other than that my experience is that it is normal for the temp to swing from fan on to fan off temperature while in traffic. It seems like that was from around 200 to around 230. I am sure it matters what year it is as well. So a range like that would be considered normal.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Have you tried a cooler thermostat, say 160 or 180. I run one and my car stays very cool even with the supercharger. Also, I have a roe fan switch which throws the fans on a 207 and will turn on when you park the car until temp drops below 207, I also have a Roe cooling duct, as soon as I move the car temp starts to decrease.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stu???? Can you read?????

Yes (but not very well) he said LARGER radiator and NEW therm maybe I should have been more specific with what I was saying 170 degree therm and ALUMINUM radiator.

Diden't know it was an english class here lol

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WE HAVE INSTALLED 4 NEW 170 THERMOSTATS....THE RADIATOR IS A 4 ROW STOCK STYLE THAT DAN CRAGIN SAYS HE PREFERS AND ARE LESS $$$

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

no way!!! i have a 97, different cam and all, but i never exceed 210 degrees even in summer. 260 is unacceptable. the rep is crazy.

Reaction score

I don't have a Viper yet...but from what I have heard even though your in CA I would send it to Chuck Tator...I met him at VOI8 and he was very in depth when explaining stuff. I have heard about him preforming miracles on Vipers...just a thought.

Cheers,
Ben

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DO YOU THINK THAT D/C WILL AGREE TO PAY TO AIR-FREIGHT ROUND TRIP THE CAR FROM CALIF TO TATOR ON THE EAST COAST?

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a similar problem which turned out to be a defective impeller on the water pump. Did you check that?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

DO YOU THINK THAT D/C WILL AGREE TO PAY TO AIR-FREIGHT ROUND TRIP THE CAR FROM CALIF TO TATOR ON THE EAST COAST?

There is absolutely NO way D/C will pay to send this car to Chucks and pay for its return. Its a shame they won't step up to the plate and resolve this problem for you. I personally would be livid.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck has performed viper miracles, I know because I can count atleast 5 of so on my car alone, I use Chuck for everything.

Honestly after seeing the work he does I would have to say its worth it to ship the car to him,it will be fixed right for sure.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW I live 25 minutes from Chuck so if you need any help let me know.

Also I know some shippers charge an arm and a leg to ship into "rule" areas so if you want to save a few bucks you can have it shipped to me and I can bring it to Chucks for ya if its driveable just a thought either way I will help ya out anyway you need.

Good luck

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY TOTALLY STOCK 2001 RT-10 HAS BEEN RUNNING VERY HOT FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS (240+ DEGREES)! THE CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY AND THE FACTORY REP DAN RUPP SAYS IT IS NORMAL AND "IT IS OK FOR VIPER ENGINE TEMPS TO RUN WELL INTO THE RED".. HE SAID THAT HE HAS HAD NUMEROUS VIPERS AND THEY ALL RUN VERY HOT AND THAT IS "NORMAL AND WONT HURT THE ENGINE TO RUN THEM AT 260 DEGREES"!

RECENTLY MY CAR WAS TAKEN TO THE DODGE DEALER ON A COLD DAY WHEN IT WAS 59 DEGREES OUTSIDE. WHEN I GOT TO THE DEALER I HAD THEM PLUG IN THE DRB BECAUSE THE GAUGE WAS OVER THE 3/4 MARK..THE DRB CONFIRMED THAT THE ENGINE TEMP WAS AT 234 DEGREES ON A COLD DAY!

I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE I REPEAT EVERYTHING!.... IT HAS BEEN AT D/C PERFORMANCE OVER 10 TIMES ( THEY ARE GREAT) BUT THE CAR STILL RUNS VERY HOT

I HAVE ALREADY SPENT TIME AND MONEY ON THE FOLLOWING...TRYING TO CURE THE PROBLEM

1. ARROW REBUILT ENGINE ( FOUND LINER PROBLEM)
2. NEW LARGER RADIATOR
3. NEW WATER PUMPS (4)
4. NEW 170 DEGREE THERMOSTATS (4)
5. WATER WETTER
6. LEAN COOLANT 30/70
7. CHECKED FOR RUNNING LEAN
8. BURPED THE SYSTEM (20 TIMES)
9 NEW TEMP GAUGE AND SENDER
10. NEW PCM (2)
11. CHECKED FOR COLAPSED LOWER HOSE

ECT, ECT ,ECT

I HAVE POSTED NUMEROUS TIMES ON THE BOARD FOR POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS..

THE REP IS GIVING ME THE PARTY LINE.. IT IS NORMAL ..ALL VIPERS DO THAT...

ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES OR A SOLUTION ON HOW TO DEAL WITH D/C "IT IS OK FOR VIPER ENGINE TEMPS TO RUN WELL INTO THE RED"
Of course I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, I think that you can attribute at least 20 extra degrees to caps lock.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe:

There is a restriction in one of the castings inside the engine?

This would make the water flow less than needed, no matter what thermostat, waterpump, or radiator you put in.

Both Stacks Blowin'

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just a simple thing, I don't see anywhere in this thread confirming that the cooling fan is actually cutting in and running.

If these really are the temperatures being experienced, the fan should be running all the time and "NEVER" be cutting out!!!!!

Is this the case with this car??????????

:confused: :confused: :usa: :confused: :confused:

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I asked this in his previous post and never got a reply.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe:

There is a restriction in one of the castings inside the engine?

This would make the water flow less than needed, no matter what thermostat, waterpump, or radiator you put in.
That's where I was going with my post way above.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Execmalibu,

I would love to help you out, but on numerous occasions people have asked you to stop using all caps and you seem to ignore them. This makes me think that you feel others peoples problems are irrelevant. In which case I feel you troubles with your viper are irrelevant.

Please let me know when your caps lock key becomes unstuck.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now Russ, you always seemed to be a reasonable guy. Why would you, or anyone else, care that he is using all caps?

No, he isn't yelling. He's just using all caps.
So what?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen