Fastest American cars-Viper 6th?

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Forbes Mag the Viper was sixth fastest American car.News to me,I thought it was the fastest.Its still the best bang for buck and freak factor.Heres the cars in order-SSC ultimate areo,Saleen S7 twin turbo,Evans- 387,487,Ford GT,Z06,Viper.You hear this Dodge corp.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. And as far as best bang for the buck, I think you are wrong. I LOVE the Viper, make no mistake about that, but the new 427 ZO6 in my mind is the best bang for the buck. Viper costs over 80k while the new Vette will sell for under 70k. Granted they will never have "awe" factor that the Viper has and GM will mass produce them but to get a high performance sports car, lightweight, very fast and over 500hp, the new Vette is not something to be taken lightly.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. And as far as best bang for the buck, I think you are wrong. I LOVE the Viper, make no mistake about that, but the new 427 ZO6 in my mind is the best bang for the buck. Viper costs over 80k while the new Vette will sell for under 70k. Granted they will never have "awe" factor that the Viper has and GM will mass produce them but to get a high performance sports car, lightweight, very fast and over 500hp, the new Vette is not something to be taken lightly.

Maybe you should change your name to VETSEATI.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Facts is facts. "Fastest" means top speed only, no other factors have any relevance. The pecking order shown above is correct.

But things never stay the same, and Viper is gearing up to take the crown. Watch what they do with the GenIV.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Forbes?

There are reputable car magazines. Forbes is not one of them. I am surprised you did not cite the Robb Report - an equally irrelevant publication. I think that it is important to separate out the publications whose principal purpose is either business or touting high priced toys for the Botulin Toxin and folicle implant cognoscenti from legitimate car magazines that cater to knowledgeable auto buffs. No flame intended but things are really deteriorating when we start citing this type of source. As for vettes, the whole comparison and discussion is rediculous. The typical vette is not a rare car and never will be other than, perhaps, some of the earlier models. The current Z vette is the same PPOS - just faster. Twenty years from now the then grown up little boys of today will be paying crazy dollars for Gen II Vipers. Who here seriously believes that the same will be true for the new Z series of vette? For little money, you can buy a Suburu WRX STi and bump it up to 450HP and blow the doors off of many vehicles. Does this mean that we should all go out and buy one? Well, on second thought, subject to garage space availability, maybe we should. LOL

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

. As for vettes, the whole comparison and discussion is rediculous. The vette is not a rare car and never will be. It is the same PPOS - just faster. Twenty years from now the then grown up little boys of today will be paying crazy dollars for Gen II Vipers. Who here seriously believes that the same will be true for the vette?

Wow, say a no Corvette is/will ever be rare shows your vast automotive knowledge. HAHA True, modern Vettes are nothing to "get excited about", then again DC's response to the Z06 was molding a top to a convertible isn't mind blowing either. But to say an icon such as a Vette is a POS is down right laughable. I have ZERO intention of buy ANY new Corvette in the future so I'm not a "Corvette fan" in the least but still respect many cars I have no intrest in owning.

And you don't think for a second a 427 Vette will not be sought after in the future? LOL

Denial is a *****....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I should have put in a time modifier on the vette comment. My apologies. Some of the earlier PPOS's were and are collectable. I admit my bias. I have never owned a General Motors product. Now, even if I had the desire to buy one, I would be concerned that the full warranty obligation might not survive the possible Chapter 11 of GM. Their parts supplier is already in Chapter 11. Some think that they are next.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I should have put in a time modifier on the vette comment. My apologies. Some of the earlier PPOS's were and are collectable. I admit my bias. I have never owned a General Motors product. Now, even if I had the desire to buy one, I would be concerned that the full warranty obligation might not survive the possible Chapter 11 of GM. Their parts supplier is already in Chapter 11. Some think that they are next.

FWIW I agree about the mass production of vettes today which is the cause of my lack of intrest in the new Vettes.

As far as GM and Ch 11 I don't know, they have their hands in a lot of areas. I also remeber Chrysler being on the brink of Ch. 11 in the early 80's and look how stronger they are today.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...I LOVE the Viper, make no mistake about that, but the new 427 ZO6 in my mind is the best bang for the buck....
I think many will agree that a 'vette is a better bang for the buck, even the older non-Z06. And, before I get lynched, understand all I mean is that performance versus dollar spent - say horsepower/some way of quantifying technology/etc per buck, etc. But a Viper is much better bang for the buck than a Ferrari, Porsche, etc.

I even say this to people that admire my Viper. If one wants to go a step further than a 'vette (and yes, pay more than a bit more), you go for a Viper. Perhaps the last statement is no longer true with the Z06 (and more power to Corvette and Chevy for that), but I'm still loyal to the Viper, the fact the Gen I and Gen II look more unique, etc. And then, of course, if you want to spend a lot more again to get more performance, exclusivity, etc, you go for the Saleen S7, etc, etc - to which a Viper is better bank for the buck.

Just rambling...

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their choice for #1

You must be registered for see images

My choice for #1

You must be registered for see images

Cudaman :usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
We need a definition of a street car to fairly determine which is the Fastest American Street Car-

Is it price? An argument could be made for reasonable pricing, but that doesn't define what a street car is. So price is too narrow a criteria for our "street car" definition.

Is it construction? Again, too narrow a criteria. Who cares if its got a carbon fiber tub, (Enzo) or a bird cage tube frame,(old Maserati) square tube steel, (Viper) aluminum, (ZO6) aluminum tube and cast nodes, (Ford GT) etc. If it can run on the street legally, its a street car regardless of the construction method.

Is it the model run quantity? Some would argue that if its not mass produced, its not a real street car, practically speaking. But if thats a criteria, then where do we draw the line? Restrict models made in quantities of less than 20,000 a year? You would have to rule the Viper out. How many are made can't be the criteria. As little a model run as a few hundred seems to qualify in the publics' mind, as in the Enzos' and McClaren F1s' case. A car stands on its merits, aside from its numbers.

I think the only useable definition for the Fastest American street car would be if it is street legal in the USA, and is made here. That would include uncomfortable, loud, rough riding cars with little or no creature comforts, and even poor build quality. Comfort for the driver is subjective, and not quantifiable, and has no bearing on top speed. What is comfortable or quiet for one person could be despised as cushy, or comprimised by another. Anyway, factors like comfort, build quality, noise, etc, are not what makes a car the fastest. So to exclude any American car because of factors like noise, or a rough ride is not allowed.

Its not a contest of which car is the best all-around performer, or which has the best combination of comfort and power, nor does it have anything to do with which car looks the best, has the best quarter mile time, 0-60 time, etc...

Its simply which car is the fastest in a straight line.

And when you look at how narrow a criteria that is, you begin to realize that the highest top speed is not exactly what you need in a great sports car.

And by the time you realize this, you've probably got at least a couple of gray hairs.

Edmunds took a bashing for evaluating the ZO6 higher than the Ford GT and the Viper. They had a very specific way of evaluating the cars, (price was 20% weight), and the overallwinner was chosen because it excelled in the widest possible range of parameters. But does that make you want to buy one? No, it doesn't.

Which brings me to my last point.

There is another way to evaluate a sports car, and that is its emotional appeal, its street presence, its sensuality. A fine sports car can't be driven by everyone, because its too provacative, like having a **** date by your side in public, some guys just can't stand being looked at. There is a very elemental human desire to be the center of attention, and attract women. This criteria never seems to show up on evaluation forms. So buy what you want, whatever will make you happy, and screw the reviews!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cuda --

You're right, what a beaut! There are lots of cars that go fast, but I vote for the ones that also stir your soul!

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cuda --

You're right, what a beaut! There are lots of cars that go fast, but I vote for the ones that also stir your soul!

Even better when that car is in your garage, ehhh cudaman :2tu:

OP
OP

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't regard Forbes as a credible car mag either.I just thought it was interesting article.I believe kit or not the cars were street legal.All Forbes went by was what the manufacturers told them.Ever since the Z06 came out all you see is good tension between Viper, Vette fans.If nothing else it will just make the Viper better.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You hear this Dodge corp.

For journalists facts don't count, they are not lawyers.

I don't think that there is anybody in charge at Dodge.
It looks like they borrowed their marketing team from LADA.

In the recent months I have heard so many comments about Dodge in the news papers ....

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are super-low production, specialty cars. :rolleyes:
For real production American performance cars (over 250 cars a year), the unhappily Viper does now come in 3rd in American performance. :eek: Although I'd put it VERY close to the Z06. At least until the Viper raises the performance bar in a year. :2tu:

And I don't look to publications like Forbes, Wall Street Journal, or Consumer Reports for any sort of accurate reviews of performance cars. :p

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cuda --

Even better when that car is in your garage, ehhh cudaman

I HAD A DREAM... I woke up and went out to my garage to find an S7. :2tu:

Are you Santa Claus, acrdakota? :nana:

Cudaman :usa:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte