Fastest I have Driven my Viper

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did 155 in my Stealth Turbo when I had it and it wouldn't go any faster due to aerodynamics. It did it once and nearly built a house (I was *$&#ing bricks).

I have not had the Viper up past 90 because it's new to me and I have not built up the confidence or had the opportunity yet. The funny thing is, I'm not sure I need to because I know it can.

Santo

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
196 with more to go. I regularly hit 160+. Closed track at 3am of course. Goal is 200 which I plan on doing on January 1st.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
160 and still pulling. wifey reading a "romance novel" in pass. seat
me= Honey, do you realize we're going 160?
wife= looking up from book, "oh, are we?"
me= :rolleyes:

viper was smooooth as glass :headbang:

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to burst some bubbles but if you get the right cop your going to get towed and stowed.Right or wrong they will take you to jail.Try explaining to a judge your reason for going 140+.I don't even want to go there.They will call local tow service that doesn't even know what a Viper is.My car got towed same situation and it had damage that I had to eat.I learned the hard way.I need my license to work,no license, no work not worth it to me.

Interesting. Fastest I've gone is 165 indicated, but that was on my 2003 Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3. I decided that at 53 I was too old to die, and I'm currently not riding. The Viper? I've seen 120 to 130 briefly on freeways, but always back off because of fears of having the car impounded.

Bikes are way faster, way cheaper, and way quicker, but I love the Viper. :usa:

GTSFE304

Enthusiast
Reaction score
165 going head to head with a modded Cobra Stang. As we hit the top of a bridge the car lifted but held like a champ. Wish we had the video.

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To each his own I guess. In my opinion, the only reason to have one of these is to haul a**. A car like this is just as safe over 110 than most cars are at 75. The real idiots are the ones going 100 in an SUV, which I see all the time.

I regulary go 150 and have hit 170 with the top off. The only problem with that is your hair beats you up!

Its great to have one of these cars in the wide open west!

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did 155 one morning on hwy 280 when nobody was around, but that is really rare here. There are not many chances to get higher than that without endangering other people. I did some really cool 0-60 and 0-100 tests recently, and I got 0-60 in 3.5 and 0-100 in 7.8 I did the tests without any high tech gadgets. But I think the accuracy is pretty repeatable. This is where the fun is. I usually always do a few of these every time I'm out in the car. I'd love to try 200, but don't no where I could do it, and afraid of the consequences.

OP
OP
F

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well after reviewing the entries, whereas I am not a clear winner at 88 mph for the "fastest I have driven my viper"....I am certainly a medalist and get to stand on the podium.

The only thing left to decide is the name of the AWARD for the slowest top speed driven, which I would accept humbly.
Maybe something like the "Turtle Trophy" would be appropriate. In any event, I will be going grocery shopping later today in my V10 fruit and vegetable hauler. There is a short stretch of highway (200 yards or so) between my driveway and the store which has a 35 mph speed limit and I might just take a risk and hit 40....maybe even 42.

OP
OP
F

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi there FE+ACR

As you know, I was in College Station about about 3 weeks ago and on the way I did take the exit off HWY6 and attempted to visit the speedway. It was closed that day however but point well taken. Both my son and I could benefit from some highway-speed driver education.

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm....I go 88mph in my minivan regularly...while the speed limit on our "cross the top of Toronto" toll highway is 100km/h (62.5mph), most people average around 75mph, I regularly cruise at 140km/h (around 80mph).

Fastest in the Viper? First day I bought it. Drove it from where I bought it 4 hours home and right to my mechanics. Dumped all the fluids, put in fresh synthetics, new plugs, and on the way home pulled it up to 5500rpm's in 5th. Glanced quickly at the speedo (you don't actually try to read it at that speed, just look where the needle is pointing) and after re-entry and down to normal speed checked where the needle was pointing...220km/h or around 160mph..and it was still pulling when I backed off..couldn't believe how solid and stable it felt, and talk about tunnel vision!

Jay

Valhalla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may get the ***** prize here - fastest I have driven is a pinch over 75 mph. I just enjou cruzin' around....Flame suit on! :shocked:

Looks like we have a winner... :)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 GTS hit over 165 in a 65 zone. However it was perfectly legal as I was on a closed course in the Nevada Silver State Classic. Only for a short time as I was class limited to that top speed in order to average 150 MPH over the 90 mile course. Our team came in Second to the Pantera team. Great time had by all.

Anyone that wants to experience the real authority your Viper has over the highway should consider entering one of the open road races held in several states. Lots of classes available from under 100 MPH to Unlimited (+190). These courses have long straight aways combined with curvey sections. Very challenging to hit your target speed precisely.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
170 in a 55 after midnight racing 2 sport bikes... :nana:

devildog - what color red is that? looks saweet.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
160 and still pulling. wifey reading a "romance novel" in pass. seat
me= Honey, do you realize we're going 160?
wife= looking up from book, "oh, are we?"
me= :rolleyes:

viper was smooooth as glass :headbang:
OK Mitch, I have a couple of issues with your response.
1) You were not talking to Heather when you were supposedly going 160 because your car is TO LOUD!
2) She wasn't reading a romance novel she was paging through Penthouse Forums trying to find the response to the letter you had written about.
3) Your hat would have blown off.
Now, do you care to revise your respnse to 75mph or continue to make us think that you are telling the truth?
You must be registered for see images attach
:D

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I topped out at about 88 mph until I installed the new Vipair system. The additional 16 rwhp put my top speed in the 180 - 185 mph range.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gary - thought you might enjoy this bumper sticker... "lord, lead me not into temptation, i can find it myself."

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say about 130 or 140 for about a second are two. I get really afraid because in NY I think the police can take your car going over 100. :mad: Adrian

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper is a thoroughbred. drove 40 miles in 20 minutes last week on a 2 lane road through the hills with lots of elevation changes and turns. took a couple turns at 150+ :cool:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper is a thoroughbred. drove 40 miles in 20 minutes last week on a 2 lane road through the hills with lots of elevation changes and turns. took a couple turns at 150+ :cool:
Before I bought my 2000, I rented a yellow 1995 in Las Vegas and drove it through Red Rock Canyon with my wife at 120 in wide open desert roads. Could have gone faster but didn't own or know the car. I mostly just tested the acceleration. The scenery was gorgeous and the moment was priceless. :cool:

P.S. Yellow isn't faster than Black. :D

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
170 in a 55 after midnight racing 2 sport bikes... :nana:

devildog - what color red is that? looks saweet.

charlesj, Thanks! However, my paint is the original Viper Red. I bought it new in '98 and have only waxed it twice and not with zanio. Maybe letting the paint breath lets it cure and mature to that shade. Also, I've had no flaking as referred to in another thread. Wax on...wax off..not for me I'd rather drive. :nana:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
194 mph on a toll road, day time, dry, and zero traffic, heavily modded with stock gears. After changing to 3:45 gears for short tracks = much slower!

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
145-150 on the back straight at VIR.

Cops are insane around here - they will jail you for 95 mph! Every time, no discussion.