Fastest speed in your Viper?

Snakesonaplane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you know it's a stupid movie?? It hasn't been released yet! I wish it had been released already...since I can't wait. You're a viper owner...how could you not like a movie with snakes....hell I bought my 1st viper after seeing Ice Cube lay down that performance in Anaconda....

11276snake02_1280-med.jpg

Whos comin' with me?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock GTSs have hit 175 MPH in the standing mile so I think with your SRT buttoned up with a 522 & a Paxton you could be much faster.

175 mph in the standing mile in a stock GTS?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. A stock GTS will go between 160-165mph in the standing mile. If it's going 175, it isn't stock.

Sorry, I was a little off, however, closer than you were...Motor Trend, Fast & Furious Top Speed Shootout, May 1988, Vol. 50. No. 5, pg. 58, One-mile acceleration-standing start, Dodge Viper GTS, 30.1 sec @ 173.3 MPH. :smirk:

I've seen a few stock GTS coupes run the standing mile. None went anywhere near 173mph. I don't believe the Motortrend car was stock. I also don't believe it was tested in May of 1988.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upper 190's in a Gen II. 175 in a Gen I and mid 180 in a Gen III. The Gen I was downright scary. It was on a track but scary all the same. Almost at lift-off. Gen II GTS was steady. Gen III was in between. Part of the reason I added ground effects as it was not stable enough for my tastes.

As to the guy promoting safety. How is a tire blow out on the track safer? Dead is dead. Yes safety crews are close but not close enough for a high speed accident. I prefer to do high speed tests on the track and keep street driving to more reasonable limits (150ish) for short bursts with no traffic.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i maxed out my speedo at 200 mph. my GPS recorded a max speed of 198 mph. i threw down on a perfectly flat and level road that has no downhill whatsoever as verified by my GPS altimeter. there was a 10 mph cross wind but no tail wind. the air temp was 85 degrees. i have since made some changes to my setup that will get me to 200 mph on GPS on a cold winter morning when the air is more dense. i am just waiting till december to try it again. hopefully the next time i will get it on video tape. :cool:

27763-7-2006-31.jpg

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakesonaplane, don't assume everyone hit their tip speed while weaving in and out of traffic.

You've made you point clear. Now leave this thread alone. You've alsomade it clear that you've only done 70mph, and that's what the thread is about. FASTEST SPEED IN YOUR VIPER!

Now go do some more pushups! :D

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i maxed out my speedo at 200 mph. my GPS recorded a max speed of 198 mph. i threw down on a perfectly flat and level road that has no downhill whatsoever as verified by my GPS altimeter. there was a 10 mph cross wind but no tail wind. the air temp was 85 degrees. i have since made some changes to my setup that will get me to 200 mph on GPS on a cold winter morning when the air is more dense. i am just waiting till december to try it again. hopefully the next time i will get it on video tape. :cool:

27763-7-2006-31.jpg

Thats awesome, good luck in Decemeber, get it on video :headbang:

N

Nobody

only about 130ish on a track :crazy: too short of a straightaway :evilmad:

snakesonaplane = scrawneychickenleggs

now go do some squats you look like a wuss

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Stock GTSs have hit 175 MPH in the standing mile so I think with your SRT buttoned up with a 522 & a Paxton you could be much faster.

175 mph in the standing mile in a stock GTS?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. A stock GTS will go between 160-165mph in the standing mile. If it's going 175, it isn't stock.

Sorry, I was a little off, however, closer than you were...Motor Trend, Fast & Furious Top Speed Shootout, May 1988, Vol. 50. No. 5, pg. 58, One-mile acceleration-standing start, Dodge Viper GTS, 30.1 sec @ 173.3 MPH. :smirk:

I've seen a few stock GTS coupes run the standing mile. None went anywhere near 173mph. I don't believe the Motortrend car was stock. I also don't believe it was tested in May of 1988.

Obviously, I meant 1998. The GTS was STOCK. Why don't you just read the article which states the FACTS instead of being so confrontational? If you have a problem with the FACTS then take it up with Motor Trend not me. Frankly, I don't care if you believe it or not. :smirk:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Right at 160mph just before nailing the binders and slipping through turn 5 at Road America. From 140 on up it feels about the same, and actually, doing 100+ around Turn 1 on the Elkhart, Wisconsin track is more of a thrill.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will get me to 200 mph on GPS on a cold winter morning when the air is more dense. i am just waiting till december to try it again. hopefully the next time i will get it on video tape. :cool:

god speed. i think thats the correct thing to say.

forget video tape, i have a dvr system that will blow your socks off. pm for details

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So far Ive only been hitting the 150's in mine. The few times Ive done it, I also had the top down. But I was suprised at how stable the car feels. I remember doing 145-150 in my 99' Camaro and it didnt feel near the same as my Viper. But regardless, Im still not used to high speed in cars. I felt more comfortable doing 178mph on my streetbike. Go figure.

Isn't that ridiculous. I feel the same way on my Hayabusa. Maybe it's because you're so much a part of a motorcycle while it feels more like you're operating a car. Even though you're a thousand times safer in case of a crash in your car. You're right. Go figure.

(BTW top speed runs for me always happen on a track since we happen to have a very nice one here in Pueblo, CO. Have yet to run the Viper on the track. It's still too dang pretty. :D )

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
How do you know it's a stupid movie?? It hasn't been released yet! I wish it had been released already...since I can't wait. You're a viper owner...how could you not like a movie with snakes....hell I bought my 1st viper after seeing Ice Cube lay down that performance in Anaconda....

Well that explains a lot.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
160 on the RT/10 back in the days .... and got arrested for reckless driving :-D

No more than 140 on the SRT/10, too much traffic nowadays in South Florida....

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
160 on the RT/10 back in the days .... and got arrested for reckless driving :-D

No more than 140 on the SRT/10, too much traffic nowadays in South Florida....

Acutally I totally understand. Got to go a few hours north for some good open highway on I-95.

As for myself, 140 MPH on the track of course and not going to go faster than that. I do not like the way the car feels at that speed. German cars are built a lot better and I like doing speed in those but only those.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps a better way to experience your Vipers speed potential is through one of the many open highway organized events.
Original event is the Silver State Classic, just outside Las Vegas. You are given driver orientation, safety drivers meeting etc. You will be brought up to speed gradually during the event, culminating in the final dash.
Cars and drivers are inspected prior to the event, and classified by experience and safety equipment as to maximum authorized speed.
The road is blocked off for 90 miles. Spotters posted along the way with communications to safety crews. You can drive on both sides of the road, and set yourself up for corners.
While this is also a dangerous event, it is far better than driving on a road with other non competing drivers.

Little things can be life threatening. Did you know that when driving at high speeds, the centrifigual force on the valve stems can cause you to bleed air pressure. Be sure to be running valve caps with O Rings to keep the air in your tires.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Little things can be life threatening. Did you know that when driving at high speeds, the centrifigual force on the valve stems can cause you to bleed air pressure. Be sure to be running valve caps with O Rings to keep the air in your tires.

Now this is some good info, as I would have never known this or even thought about it. Will look into those valve caps. :2tu:

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reason you feel safer on your bike is because you likely have a good bit of experience on it. Once you reach a fair level of competence, you can control a bike quite precisely. Plus, when a bike is set up well for high speeds, it should track straight as an arrow. The gyro effect of the wheels and engine internals spinning at such a high rate keep it from being able to change directions too easily (or get out of shape).

By comparison, a car feels large and heavy. You just know that if anything ever got out of shape, there is little to no chance of saving it. They do not have the benefit of a natural gyro because they do not roll on an axis to change directions - the rear swerves from side to side and you're done.

Cars at high speeds have never felt as safe to me because they feel like they begin lifting off at very high speeds and start moving around a good bit. The bike is glued.

Scott.
CCS #700
'05 GSXR1000 (racebike)
'06 GSXR750 (racebike)
'06 R6 (for sale)

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason you feel safer on your bike is because you likely have a good bit of experience on it. Once you reach a fair level of competence, you can control a bike quite precisely. Plus, when a bike is set up well for high speeds, it should track straight as an arrow. The gyro effect of the wheels and engine internals spinning at such a high rate keep it from being able to change directions too easily (or get out of shape).

By comparison, a car feels large and heavy. You just know that if anything ever got out of shape, there is little to no chance of saving it. They do not have the benefit of a natural gyro because they do not roll on an axis to change directions - the rear swerves from side to side and you're done.

Cars at high speeds have never felt as safe to me because they feel like they begin lifting off at very high speeds and start moving around a good bit. The bike is glued.

Scott.
CCS #700
'05 GSXR1000 (racebike)
'06 GSXR750 (racebike)
'06 R6 (for sale)

I agree. Good explanation. :2tu:

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hit 170 mph in my C5 when it was stock....Went out at 1 am in the morning each day for a weak straight and built up my confidence over a mile and a half...

First night hit 115..

Second night got to 130..

By the 4th night 150 was obtained..

On the 5th night 150 was once again obtained and then I realized that the car got to 140 mph very quickly but after that got to 150 a bit slower and then CRAWLED from that point...But 155 was still obtained..

The last night I said screw it and started at 2 am in the morning around a 1/2 mile farther back than I normally do ( for a total of around 2 miles...I promised my self that no matter how fast I went I wasnt gonna **** out...

100 came within 11 seconds...Then 145 in around 30 seconds..Then the slow crawl all the way to 170 mph...Took every bit of the two miles...( I know thats redicously slow compared to the gen 3 you lucky guys have)

When I was done I had that feeling that you have when you just finish ************ to a ****...You wanna hurry up and turn the video off and feel stupid for the mess you just made on the floor..

I promised myself that I would never be that stupid again and risk my 4 kids not having a father..

But my credit union is finishing the paper work for my 99 rt 10 ( red) that I just bought and suddenly I have the urge to go see if I can get the claimed 175-180 mph out of it..

So more than likely ill be posting my top speed on here in a few days...MAHAWAHAAAA

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think that we have to remind others that, although I do not speak for the VCA or have the authority to do so, that the other speeds above are for tracks, not the highway. Nobody would condone such activity on a public road, at least in the United States.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't agree overall.
But I would agree that a stock bike feels safer at high speed when accelerating, when compared to a stock Viper.
I would believe that is due to the time it takes to get there.

My Viper felt EASY at high speeds. Much better than bikes I have owned.
But it also got there faster than bikes I have owned and it was modded for high speeds. It felt more glued and tighter than a bike also.

So it may depend on what bike and or car in comparison.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't agree overall.
But I would agree that a stock bike feels safer at high speed when accelerating, when compared to a stock Viper.

But it also got there faster than bikes I have owned and it was modded for high speeds. It felt more glued and tighter than a bike also.

This would be true also. I have had many bikes and all but the one I currently have did not feel really safe at high speeds. I had a V max that was downright scary at anything over 110 mph. It was not designed to go that fast for long periods of time. The bikes I'm talking about are the crotchrockets. Specifically the ZX 12R and the Hayabusa. These are both designed for top speed and that is their claim to fame. They are both very comfortable at speed and don't move around or shake at all.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really think that we have to remind others that, although I do not speak for the VCA or have the authority to do so, that the other speeds above are for tracks, not the highway. Nobody would condone such activity on a public road, at least in the United States.

Yes, I was somewhat surprised that these forums allow threads dealing with street racing and other such things. I've been part of another car enthusiast forum for many years and such messages are not tolerated. I think it has more to do with liability issues of the forum host(s) than anything else.

Anyway, in reply to the OP, I've had her up to 95 although I'm sure she is capable of much more.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think as long as everyone isn't on here consistently talking about speeding on the streets, then no big deal. One has to use common sense here. These car companies provide us with these very fast cars, I think EVERYONE knows they will be raced on the street or at least driven fast on the streets, not to think that is crazy. And for the forum to assume any liability in any of this would be crazy as well. I would love to see the case where some idiot is in front of the judge claiming he was doing 140mph because they said he could on the internet. :laugh:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't agree overall.

You must have had a slower bike. My 05 ,lightly modded R1 gets from 60-170mph quicker then my buddies supercharged GTS. Though Im one of the few bikes thats faster them him, (he beats my other friends bikes) I think the other post is true, in the fact that the bike just wants to stay upright at those speeds, making it feel more stable then a car. Everyone is going to have varying opinions.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must have had a slower bike. My 05 ,lightly modded R1 gets from 60-170mph quicker then my buddies supercharged GTS. Though Im one of the few bikes thats faster them him, (he beats my other friends bikes) I think the other post is true, in the fact that the bike just wants to stay upright at those speeds, making it feel more stable then a car. Everyone is going to have varying opinions.

I had a GSXR1100, lightly modded, but not as fast as what's out there today. It was one of the faster bikes back in the day! :D

You are right about varying opinions, mine is with that GSXR of the past, and my TT GTS.
I laid to waste 6 R1s with my Heffner Twin Turbo GTS in the 2 summers I had it. That machince was a rocket that felt tight at high speed.