Feedback on the DC Performance computer reflash

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished a nice long test ride after installing the DC Performance reflashed computer. I know there has been a fair amount of interest in this product, so here are my personal observations. This is on an '04 with 3500 miles. No other changes were made to the car (which is 100% stock) other than the computer reflash. I don't know Dan personally and this is the first time I have bought anything from his company. I have no reason to speak anything other than the straight truth.

First, let me start by saying...WOW!!!! This is one of those rare occassions that the results far exceeded my expectations. If any of you are thinking about doing this but not sure if it's worth it, do it now!!! Here is what you will find:

1. The install is very quick and easy; about 20 minutes.
2. The idle is smoother and quieter.
3. The car runs FAR smoother in all rpm ranges and is quieter too. The difference is night and day! You have to feel it to believe it. The before and after was like comparing a Chevy to a Lexus. No more popping when I let off the throttle; just a nice deep rumble as the rpms come back down. Strange as it may seem, other mysterious noises my car used to make seem to have disappeared as well. All I hear now is a vastly improved exhaust note. You would think that I had changed out the exhaust system.
4. The throttle response is WAY better than before. The car jumps now when I give it the gas.
5. The engine revs MUCH quicker than before. The difference is amazing.
6. HP and torque feel much stronger throughout the entire rpm range, even right off idle. I did a "before" dyno run and got 442 rwhp and 482 lb ft of torque. I haven't had a chance yet to do an "after" dyno, but I have no reason to doubt Dan's claims of power increase. Many have asked if you can feel the difference in the "seat of the pants" and the answer is a very definite... YES! I will do an "after" dyno test as soon as possible and post the results.
7. Engine water temp is 10 degrees cooler (I included the optional cooler thermostat setting in my reflash).
8. Service was excellent and Dan even used the dyno chart I provided him to custom tune my computer.

Even if there was no power gain, this mod would still be worth it just for the vastly improved running characteristics is provided. The car is far more enjoyable to drive now. Dodge should buy this reflash from Dan to see how they should have tuned the car from the start.

Thanks Dan for a great product!! You will be getting more business from me soon.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for your feedback; the improvements you mentioned in the Viper's running quality is what I'm looking for. It makes one wonder why the factory leaves so much on the table with the factory tune. Did you use a new computer or had your original reflashed?

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up. the weather is crap here in chicago so I have not installed my computer yet. Should have it in on Tuesday and look forward to posting similar findings.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for your feedback; the improvements you mentioned in the Viper's running quality is what I'm looking for. It makes one wonder why the factory leaves so much on the table with the factory tune. Did you use a new computer or had your original reflashed?

The improvement in overall running quality is what surprised me the most. I expected a little more power, but had no idea how much better the car would run in general.

As much as I love my Viper, it's a good thing I bought it without ever test driving one first. Had I done that, and the car ran like mine did before the reflash, I would not have bought it. Maybe mine just happened to have a particularly bad tune from the factory, but I don't think so. I have never driven any other Vipres, so I have no basis for comparison. Now the car runs like I always expected a Viper would.

To answer your question, I ordered a whole new computer so I can switch the original back in if I need some warrantee work. The core computer is surprisingly inexpensive ($262.00).

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know it was bothering ya, so im glad to hear you're happy.

keep us posted on the dyno numbers and how it keeps running.

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a good write up ,just in time I called DC on Saturday .They told me the reason why Dodge has the car run rich is to protect the catalytic converters ,they need to last for 100,000 miles by fed guide lines and I'm sure there are other factors involved too.Nice job

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a good write up ,just in time I called DC on Saturday .They told me the reason why Dodge has the car run rich is to protect the catalytic converters ,they need to last for 100,000 miles by fed guide lines and I'm sure there are other factors involved too.Nice job

Thanks for the write-up. Nicely done!

Now someone please explain in layman terms how running the vehicle rich will protect the CATS. I have heard this a couple of times but fail to understand the rational behind it.

Thanks
patrick

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Now someone please explain in layman terms how running the vehicle rich will protect the CATS. I have heard this a couple of times but fail to understand the rational behind it.

Thanks
patrick

A rich F/A mixture creates cooler exhaust temps (but makes the car run like crap). Catalytic converters will last longer that way than they will under leaner conditions which create higher exhaust temps (and more power). Unless you drive your car 20,000 miles a year or more, your cats will probably last longer than you are likely to own the car.

My only concern is will the higher exhaust temps make the car's interior and side-sills noticeably hotter than they already are? If so, I see some exhaust work in my near future. I didn't really notice hotter temps today, but I had the top down and it was only 70 degrees out.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks
patrick

A rich F/A mixture creates cooler exhaust temps (but makes the car run like crap). Catalytic converters will last longer that way than they will under leaner conditions which create higher exhaust temps (and more power). Unless you drive your car 20,000 miles a year or more, your cats will probably last longer than you are likely to own the car.

My only concern is will the higher exhaust temps make the car's interior and side-sills noticeably hotter than they already are? If so, I see some exhaust work in my near future. I didn't really notice hotter temps today, but I had the top down and it was only 70 degrees out.

That would explain a lot. When you mean the car runs like crap does this sound familiar.

When I accelerate slowly the cars seems to accelerate well, but once I slam the accelerator pedal ( WOT ) it does not seem to accelerate as well. Its as if the engine can't burn the feul fast enough and I'm getting exhaust popping on acceleration.

Thanks
Patrick

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read Carleton's recent post and the dyno showed he only gained 16 rwhp and 13 rwtq not the 30 and 25 suggested by Dan Cragin. Carleton has other mods - is this why he gained less than 30 and 25? Maybe Dan can explain the difference. Are you going to dyno your car soon? It will be interesting to see what you gain on a stock car. Thanks

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read Carleton's recent post and the dyno showed he only gained 16 rwhp and 13 rwtq not the 30 and 25 suggested by Dan Cragin. Carleton has other mods - is this why he gained less than 30 and 25? Maybe Dan can explain the difference. Are you going to dyno your car soon? It will be interesting to see what you gain on a stock car. Thanks

I would think that headers will 'lean out' the a/f mix, so I'm guessing that reprogramming won't yield as big of a gain as when done on a totally stock car.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That would explain a lot. When you mean the car runs like crap does this sound familiar.

When I accelerate slowly the cars seems to accelerate well, but once I slam the accelerator pedal ( WOT ) it does not seem to accelerate as well. Its as if the engine can't burn the feul fast enough and I'm getting exhaust popping on acceleration.

Thanks
Patrick

[/QUOTE]

That does sound familiar. I had the same issue. The reflash cured that problem. The acceleration is now immediate smooth... and no more popping.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope to get it back on the dyno within a couple weeks and will report the results. My butt dyno tells me that 30 rwhp is realistic. Remember though, that dyno numbers can be unreliable. Numbers can change substantially from one dyno to another and even on the same dyno if conditions are different. A 10 degree temperature difference and a significant change in barometric pressure and/or humidity could easily change the output by 3%, either up or down. and don't even get me started on things like "area under the curve". Its possible for a car with lower peak power to be substantially faster due to a broader and more useable torque curve.

Regardless of what the dyno ultimately says, the car feels way better than before; faster, smoother, quieter (in a good way) more responsive and crisper.

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had my computer "flashed" recently at DC Performance. However, I was able to have it done "in car". My understanding was that it was for my specific vehicle, ie; K&N FIPK, Random Tech cats, and Corsa track system. Though the dyno print out reflects little peak horsepower increase significant gains in both HP and torque from 3500 to 5000 RPM were realized. Bill

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS-DC also installed a 170 degree thermostat in order to take advantage of lower operating temperature via turning the fan on sooner. Bill

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dyno print out clearly shows as much as a 35 horsepower gain. The HP gains began at 3500RPM and held through 5500RPM. As for seat of the pants I have not really had an opportunity to drive it hard as of yet. I picked it up in LA on 4-20, drove it back to San Diego in rush hour traffic and only had it out briefly since. I also had an aluminum flywheel installed which has really transformed the shifting, actually feels like a different transmisson. As for being worth it, 35 horsepower for $550 is a bargain! Bill

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperRT you mentioned in your prior post that there was very little peak improvement. What was the exact increase? Where in the RPM was the 35hp improvement?

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed mine too. My ass is telling me the car is quicker and running better. I only put a few miles on it so far. I think I will leave work early and put it through its paces.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I talked Dan Cragin and he said he can program it for 91 or 93 octane. What did you guys do? We can get 93 in Indiana. Is there anything else besides removing the skip shift I need to worry about?

Zen garage - have you had a chance to put it through its paces? I'd to like to hear comments from others that have made the upgrade. Thanks.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me, I have not had a chance to play with the car since the swap. In all reality its hard to test the power of a viper safely on the street.

My ass-o-meter is telling me that something new has been added to the car, but I think with my other mods it is not as noticeable as adding this to a stock car. The car does seem more lively and pulls harder in the in the mid rpm range. It idles smoother and feels more crisp down low. I am taking an early morning road trip to Road America tomorrow. The roads should be empty and I will try to test it out.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

EXHLR8N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my 2003 yesterday from DC Performance with the new mod. Since I was driving from LA to Orange County, it was hard to tell how much it improved the power band, but it definately felt smoother and more responsive.

I'll let you know when I have it dyno'd again this weekend.

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Finally took the Viper out for a long run today and have to agree with Valentine Viper on these points that he made

4. The throttle response is WAY better than before. The car jumps now when I give it the gas.
5. The engine revs MUCH quicker than before.
6. HP and torque feel much stronger throughout the entire rpm range

Especially the low rpm response of the car. It deffinately jumps quicker now.

Carleton

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make that three votes. Had my '05 out yesterday. So much smoother and the aluminum flywheel really allows quicker RPM levels. Bill

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been following this thread with interest. How do I get the new engine controller? Is this the same as the Mopar performance unit?

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been following this thread with interest. How do I get the new engine controller? Is this the same as the Mopar performance unit?

This is not the Mopar unit. It is a custom reflash of your controller that DC Performance developed. If you are interested, call Dc Performance and ask for Dan. He was great about answering my questions and addressing concerns. He guarentees satisfaction with the product or your money back. You can either send him your existing controller for a reflash or have him send you a new one to swap out (this is the way I went). He'll ask you a few questions on options, such as what octane fuel you use and thermostat settings. If you have a dyno sheet, he can work from that to custom tune, but it's not necessary.

This mod is a definite winner. Another benefit that I have noticed after some more driving is that the cockpit and side sills don't seem to heat up nearly as much as before. Has anyone else noticed this or is it my imagination?

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One more item of note...

I called him about the option of flashing a brand new unit so that I can keep my current one as-is. Turns out 2005 ECU's are on back order. You 05 guys will need to cool your jets for a while until they're available.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! This was just what the doctor ordered. Now I am sold on Dan's product and will recommend that all my customers have this upgrade done when they come to me for other mods. Great work Dan!