fiberglass side covers for a gen 1

OP
OP
V

vettekiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know yet they are almost done and then im going to test them on my car. I will most likely wrap my exhaust in header wrap for the least amount of heat as possible. I will keep you posted.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch out when you wrap the exhaust. Heat needs to go somewhere and if you wrap, it just moves it. Watch hot spots further down the system.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this has been done before and the results were "flamey".

There's a reason that there is one piece of aluminum on the Viper when everything else is SMC.....

As 95 said, wrapping your exhaust does not decrease heat - only moves it - somewhere.....

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Regarding the heat wrap. I ended up wrapping with just about everything there is after my heat shield was torn at TMS last year. Flames, and/or scorching were the result in each case. Please let my experience be your Guinea Pig. I'd recommend using either the OEM heat shield or the Iconel replacement to avoid my results.

Good Luck,
Jim

OP
OP
V

vettekiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well the guy doing them for me dos not have any concerns about heat being an issue. I will try them and let you guys know. there really is no difference in fiberglass and carbon fiber besides weight. but he said he is making them out of something besides fiberglass let me get back to you guys on all of this