FINALLY Found the problem, BAD Engine mount! Typical ??

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, take a look at the photos. But I have been complaining about my engine being out of alignment for a little while now. I even told my viper tech a couple of times, and he kind of shrugged it off, giving me a BS excuse. Course he does 90% of the other stuff, so I still got much respect for him.

Anyways, so my car has almost 50k miles on it, but I think this problem prob occurred closer to 10k miles ago. Is this a typical problem with our cars? That the drivers side Engine mount fails?

I have done a number of drag passes, probably in the neighborhood of 250+, and at times I have gotten wheel hop (and backed out). I have never dragged raced with Stickys, only OEM tires, however, for about 6,000 miles I did run around with Pilot Sport Cup Tires, with some more wheel hop on the street then the regular pilots did.

Soooo... couple of question.

1. Is there an after market engine mount for our cars?
2. Should I use an engine strap, since I still like to do some drag passes?
3. Is the stock one fine, but just replace it ever 30k miles or so?

Jon

4596DSCF0949-med.JPG

4596DSCF0956.JPG

4596DSCF0959-med.JPG

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jon,
Not a common problem but I've replaced a few of them. Don't know of an aftermarket mount?
Stock mount #4642617 MSRP $49.60 in stock [-20% VCA discount]

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I had the same problem on my 95, 2 of the 3 engine mounts were broke and the motor sat lower on the passenger side.

I had 3 new ones put in that I purchased from the Wizard at the time I had the engine out to get rebuilt. If I recall the motor naturally sits a little crooked leaning towards the passenger side, and this usually causes problems getting frame clearance on after market headers. I could be wrong, but I think that it does ever so slightly.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I had the same problem on my 95, 2 of the 3 engine mounts were broke and the motor sat lower on the passenger side.

I had 3 new ones put in that I purchased from the Wizard at the time I had the engine out to get rebuilt. If I recall the motor naturally sits a little crooked leaning towards the passenger side, and this usually causes problems getting frame clearance on after market headers. I could be wrong, but I think that it does ever so slightly.

Thats what prompted all this, header fitment was a little too close on the drivers side window frame, where the colector turn out occurs. I didnt have this problem before, with my last set of headers, so I knew SOMETHING was causing this, and thats when I noticed the engine alignment issue.

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange that Energy Suspension doesn't make polyurethane motor mounts for our cars... I sent an email request anyway to check.

Cool. Thx.. Let me know what they say. I'd rather eliminate this problem all together instead of just putting a stock one back in, and having to worry about it again in another 30k miles or so.

Jon

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to visually check engine mount from the top? Should I just use a level to see that it's not leaning in either direction? The reason I am asking is I am getting quite a bit of wheel hop when I downshift aggressively or launching. I thought it was tranny mount but it's not. Or could I just be experiencing normal wheel hop. I am running very sticky pirelli's. Thanks!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know pirelli's to be sticky, but unfortunetly no, you cant view the engine mount to see if its torn, as there is a heat shield around it. It kind of *****, but I guess a good sign will be the level of the engine. For me, I would get a slight knocking sound when I would launch hard, that was the engine mount's locking arms hitting each other.

Jon

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. What type of noises were you hearing? I hear loud pop - mostly in the rear (I think) during aggressive driving.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 Viper .......,
Here is a Email I sent to Sean Roe about motor mounts, note the date; June 2003:

Hi Don,
Yuk, those motor mounts look bad.
I'll see what I can do for new ones.
Regards,
Sean

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:19:49 -0700 "Don" <[email protected]> writes:
> Sean,
> Remember, a little while ago I contacted you about Heavier duty
> motor mounts and you said none available except stock. You also
> said the possibility of a new product, I AGREE.
> Here are a couple pictures of the mounts removed from my Viper this
> weekend. Essentially destroyed.
>
> YES, 1) a heavy duty, stiffer rubber mount for the street, and, 2) a
> teflon mount for track/racing use.
> The Viper Tech that did my installation agrees, heavier duty would
> be excellent.
>
> Later,
> Don Ruckman Email: [email protected]
> 1996 RT/10

I have been trying to get a "stiffer" mount for a couple years now.
For pure drag racing, how about a solid steel mount??

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to get a "stiffer" mount for a couple years now.
For pure drag racing, how about a solid steel mount??

Chassis vibration would be a *****. But for pure drag racing, who would care. I am more interested in a street/strip engine mount.

Jon

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 Viper.....
I agree; vibration and noise would be horrendous, for anything other than pure drag racing. Why don't you contact Sean Roe for motor mounts, perhaps additional input might lead to something. Reference (copy) the email I included above if you like.

Later,

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure a solid mount would be a good idea with our blocks. Would the block stand up to the stress without deforming or cracking? They are sort of like fuses for torque.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, guys, I am actually fine for right now. Mine are replaceable under warranty. So this has been fixed already. If it happens in another 50k miles, maybe someone will have something for us by then. But 50k run rate isnt bad I guess. (thats how far I got on the first one).

Jon

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i too just had this issue with my 97 gts. i only have 9000 miles on mine but tator told me that the rubber dries out from the age and due to the kuhmos and notrous i toss at the motor it is no great surprise the old ones gave out. the wizard also hooked me up with all the parts at a steal and when i finally take the old ones out i will post pics of how trashed they are. he and i both suspect the left side motor mount to be the worst, but both side including the trans mount will be changed. i first noticed this issue at the track trying to smack it into third, ******* the gas and kept missing third gear due to the amount of flex the shifter had. now when you try to reverse the car the shifter taps against the console cutout.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i too just had this issue with my 97 gts. i only have 9000 miles on mine but tator told me that the rubber dries out from the age and due to the kuhmos and notrous i toss at the motor it is no great surprise the old ones gave out. the wizard also hooked me up with all the parts at a steal and when i finally take the old ones out i will post pics of how trashed they are. he and i both suspect the left side motor mount to be the worst, but both side including the trans mount will be changed. i first noticed this issue at the track trying to smack it into third, ******* the gas and kept missing third gear due to the amount of flex the shifter had. now when you try to reverse the car the shifter taps against the console cutout.

YES.. THATS THE KEY, THE SHIFTER HITTING THE CUT OUT IN REVERSE !! If you have a 708 Cam its REALLY easy to tell, it taps.. taps taps.. at idle.

It was my dead give-away !!

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc