FIRE..!!!!!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one mean looking car. I hope the damage was not too bad, I have been the victim of an engine fire in my old Cobra, mine was a very expensive fix :(

Fire suppression systems often get forgotten when modding, but I bet this owner will now be thinking about one!

Scary stuff!

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a full halon system the car and a handheld extinguisher.

When I first saw the fire I pulled the safety pin on the halon trigger.
I decided to check the extent of the fire with handheld before activating the system indoors with a crowd of people.
I was lucky that the fire was put out rather quickly with very little damage. The alcohol burns "cool" before it gets very hot.

The damage occurred after I got the car home and up on the lift. While looking for the leak, I moved a fuel line which sent a stream of 99.3% alchol directly into my eyes. Burned like nothing I have felt before.
I spent the rest of the night in the ER getting my eyes flushed with saline.

I ended up with a chemical ulcer burn on my left cornea...

Havin' fun now....

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is that your ride in the Video Treesnake? :)

As for that guy laughing, sometimes when things like that happen its just a nervous reaction to a bad situation, like a Holy Sh~~~t moment!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. The story gets worse! Hope your eyes get better man!!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TreeSnake....hope your eyes are ok, cars can be fixed.

Regarding fire safety and the damage that the powder type extinguishers can cause, for a shop like this that works on cars (or even your home garage), would CO2 extinguishers be better option for this flash type fires? I've often thought that small fires did much less damage than the powder from the standard ABC extinguishers puts out. (it makes such a freaking mess and gets into every nook and cranny).

Any fire extinguisher experts on the forum?

George

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, looks aweful.

What engine management/tuning setup you use?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TreeSnake....hope your eyes are ok, cars can be fixed.

Regarding fire safety and the damage that the powder type extinguishers can cause, for a shop like this that works on cars (or even your home garage), would CO2 extinguishers be better option for this flash type fires? I've often thought that small fires did much less damage than the powder from the standard ABC extinguishers puts out. (it makes such a freaking mess and gets into every nook and cranny).

Any fire extinguisher experts on the forum?

George

My bother in law sells/inspects fire extinguishers for a living and is also a volunteer fire fighter. I asked him about the type of extinguisher (hand held) I should get to keep in the Viper and he recommended a Clean Agent Fire Extinguisher (FE-36 Extinguisher). From my understanding it'll leave no residue like other extinguishers. If anyone is in or around Troy, MI and is interested in purchasing one, I'm sure I he could hook you up with one for a good price.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments on the cars....:)
It's not always an easy path but I'm sure most of you would agree, we do what it takes to drive the best car in the world....:headbang:

The eye doctor said that eveything should be OK.
( I sure hope so, I WILL be on track this weekend at Putnam Park....:D )

Only problem is going to be sneaking out of town with the car and trailer before anybody knows I'm gone.....:rolaugh:

Wow, looks aweful.

What engine management/tuning setup you use?

I am using a Motec M800 in this car. The Motec system and tuning were provided by John Reed.

OtheJerk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw your car at the half mile great looking . Hope everything is fixable

My Vette caught on fire .... But it wasn't put out like that .., :(

You must be registered for see images attach

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Im glad youre okay and the car survived. As to the fire damage,
if youre interested Im sure I have a can of rustoleum or two
left over somewhere you can have!

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! That ***** about your Viper and your eye. :( I hope both make a complete recovery.