??? for the non-American owners

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen many of the signature for folks living overseas with Vipers. I am curious how the Vipers perform in the European environments - roads, cities, etc. I can only assume that you meet up daily with the exotics we all read about and watch on "Top Gear". How does the Viper stack up tho them in "real world" European diving conditions? From you folks in Germany, will the Viper hold it's own at speed on the autobahn? We try that stuff here and it's gonna cost us. We cannot sustain 150+ speeds for very long without the risk of being caught overpowering the experience of the thrill.

Are the Vipers the ones flashing the lights to slow traffic or is it the other way around.

Thanks!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D Nothing better than driving a VIPER here :D

Perfect roads, THE autobahn, passes, ... people see Ferrari's or Lambo's every day.

Meeting a VIPER is like hitting the lottery!

+500 Viper for 500 million people in Europe.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when our UK club in germany last year, one of our guys had to drop his wife at Frankfurt airport at 10pm, he kept a steady 160mph up for about 30mins, and emptied his full tank in less than 40 mins, he reckoned it was one of the best 40 mins of his life ;)

he returned and we were still sitting outside drinking their lovely beer ;)

the only other place in europe with no speed limits is the Isle of Man, now thats a great place to visit as well and real fun in a viper across the mountain road, used in the TT

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After he had his beer i had to drive the viper back to the hotel.... Think maybe he needed the beer.....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
160mph?! However do you drive so, and without electronic nannies?! The carnage on European roads must be gruesome.

/sarcasm directed towards candyazz Americans who think they know how to drive but still think driver nannies should be mandatory.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....Are the Vipers the ones flashing the lights to slow traffic or is it the other way around.

Thanks!

good question, thanks

:D Nothing better than driving a VIPER here :D

Perfect roads, THE autobahn, passes, ... people see Ferrari's or Lambo's every day.

Meeting a VIPER is like hitting the lottery!

+500 Viper for 500 million people in Europe.

when our UK club in germany last year, one of our guys had to drop his wife at Frankfurt airport at 10pm, he kept a steady 160mph up for about 30mins, and emptied his full tank in less than 40 mins, he reckoned it was one of the best 40 mins of his life ;)

he returned and we were still sitting outside drinking their lovely beer ;)

the only other place in europe with no speed limits is the Isle of Man, now thats a great place to visit as well and real fun in a viper across the mountain road, used in the TT

After he had his beer i had to drive the viper back to the hotel.... Think maybe he needed the beer.....

you guys are killing me :drive:

160 MPH, 30-40 minutes, tankful... means about 6-7 miles per gallon? :omg:

:rolaugh: :headbang: How very American! :drive: :2tu: :usa:

thanks tom for doing the math :headbang:

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Now I wonder how big of a PITA it is to ship my ACR over for a driving tour of Europe????

Yall have be drooling for a 30 minute jaunt at 160+!!!!! I was just watching the SuperBikes at the Isle af Mann TT today! (Roads look aweful bumpy).

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Now I wonder how big of a PITA it is to ship my ACR over for a driving tour of Europe????

Yall have be drooling for a 30 minute jaunt at 160+!!!!! I was just watching the SuperBikes at the Isle af Mann TT today! (Roads look aweful bumpy).

They do an event for cars as well... A few vipers have also done this event..:drive:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the TT this broke the average speed achieved, so must of been another record lap, over 130mph was the average, when you see how narrow the roads are that must be really scary :crazy2:

ive done a few laps with *** in her GTS and she managed that speed along the mountain road :omg:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I shipped two Viper so far to Europe/Germany and both have been damaged during transport. Big chance that this might happen to your car also.

Insurance will always try to back out since the Viper parts are so expensive: rims, side sills, ...

During the last drivers training in July my 2008 used 56 Liters (14.8 gallons) for 80 miles ... do the math :D

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who are using Marcus to transport them over ? are you putting them in containers? weve had a quite few imported here espically over the last few years and cant recall of any damage occuring enroute

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Container.
Full insurance.
Damage.
Last year 3 of 4 cars have been damaged and imported by CrossTrans (and a Swiss guy in between collecting money)...always problems. One friend is still fighting with the Swiss guy - he (his insurance) doesnt want to pay for the damage also an insurance has been paid for - to his hands.

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel consumption sounds about right. :omg: Those are a hungry bunch of 600 horses!:drive: I burn thru about 14 gallons an hour on the track.

I'm real interested in info on the shipping companies. :eater:

I'm also curious how the Viper will run on "petrol". It's only been fed gasoline. I hope it won't get Montezuma's revenge!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
160mph?! However do you drive so, and without electronic nannies?! The carnage on European roads must be gruesome.

/sarcasm directed towards candyazz Americans who think they know how to drive but still think driver nannies should be mandatory.

My sentiments exactly! Some things are just Un-American!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel consumption sounds about right. :omg: Those are a hungry bunch of 600 horses!:drive: I burn thru about 14 gallons an hour on the track.

I'm real interested in info on the shipping companies. :eater:

I'm also curious how the Viper will run on "petrol". It's only been fed gasoline. I hope it won't get Montezuma's revenge!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

you can get to the UK and home in a container depending where you are of course for about £2000, our guys use Kingstown Shipping
Kingstown Shipping Ltd ship Cars, Motorcycles & Boats USA UK USA Imports & Exports

you can get 97-102 octane here, so no problems for a viper, or even 107 unleaded if you want some proper expensive race fuel

maybe this pic will put you off :)

You must be registered for see images
http://pebblestorm.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/container-ship-falling-over1.jpg

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK lets get a bit more serious here for a few seconds,

The speed limit on UK Motorways (freeways) is 70mph, we also have on these motorways cameras and variable speed limits at peak traffic times. To be honest most drivers on motorways tend to drive around 70 to 80 mph, but not much faster ;) However there are some stretches of motorways where if there is not too much traffic around, one might give the gears of the Viper a good working through ;) However you then have to watch out for the unmarked police cars :mad:

Now in Germany, not all Autobahns are limit free, there are speed restrictions in many areas, cameras and traffic police in Porsche 911s and unmarked vehicles :(

Personally I find the Viper great over in the UK, being LHD is no problem and being as we drive on the left hand side of the road its easy to park without damaging your wheels as you can lean out of the window to see how far you are from the kerb edge!
However on our smaller roads, the viper is a big wide car to drive! Also our road surfaces have been in decline for sometime! You do have to watch out for *** holes and the latest traffic calming idea of road humps in 30mph / 20mph areas! The Viper dose not like these bumps and so you end up choosing your route carefully. As for the reaction of other motorists, I would say 80% love the viper and move over to let you pass, the other 20% are in the jealous category who will sit in the passing lane holding you up :mad: Also its not the sort of car that you would let out of your sight if you parked it. There is a jealous factor in the UK where people would damage your car because they don't have one :( Don't get me wrong its not everyone but you would not want to take any chances! The Viper is a rare car in the UK and is not politically correct :D the Greens would love to get all the big cars off the roads. However pull up outside the school and every kid gives you :2tu: My Son loves it :D

I'm not sure if you guys have seen some of the recent pics of the Super car meet which Neil posted up, but its great to be invited to events like this, as far as super cars go the Viper is fantastic value for money, yet the car gets the same respect as a Ferrari or lambo.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/628740-some-more-uk-pics.html

Mark
:uk:

Last edited:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark & the guys @ Kingstown shipping have been great.. As Neil said they have bought over most if not all the Vipers to the UK. Mate rcomended them to me that runs a US parts/import company..

They even had a pic of my viper on there web page at one point..

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,
Thanks for the write-up. Sounds about the same as it is here in the US - minus the cops being in 911's!!! We do have some pretty quick Hwy Patrol guys that have Vettes, Z-28's & Mustangs but like always - speaking from personal experience - the one that tags you may not be the one that gets you. I'd love the experience of driving abroad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang