For those wanting to quiet your exhaust…

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally found a combination that sounds awesome but doesn’t wake the dead. Originally with my S/C setup I was running B&B headers/exhaust with NO cats. The car sounded incredible, but was VERY loud. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the sound, but I was constantly worrying about the noise when I jumped on it. I have a couple cop buddies that said it would warrant a ticket if an officer was in the mood. In addition, forget about having a conversation in the car, LOL. I decided to put a set of Dynomax bullets in where the cats/straight pipe used to be. If you are familiar with these mufflers they are pretty much straight through with a little bit of packing. I don’t think they made a difference at all.

Thanks to post by 1TONY1, I decided to try out the 4” Moroso mufflers and replace the Dynomax bullets with them. Man what a difference! By no means is the car quiet, but they really took the edge off at full throttle. The car still sounds very aggressive, but it takes that loud bite out of the exhaust that makes people cringe and run for cover. The biggest difference I noticed was in the interior. It really helped out the drone. I can actually hear the S/C now.

As far as flow, since they do help with the sound I assume they limit flow a tad. Who knows how much, maybe Tony has an idea. Regardless, it can’t be too much and they definitely are worth it if you are having a noise issue.

I have to apologize, I have no pictures or sound clips. My three year old was napping and I had that small window to bang out the job. You can check theme out here.
http://http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=35054

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the "Racing Mufflers". Actually, I think they are the same muffler except the polished ones are stainless.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad they worked for you too. I hadn't seen the stainless version before. Since I have another muffler behind my spiral flow I look forward to hearing yours to hear the difference.

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had the spiral flows on my car for about 6months now and they do sound awesome.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad they worked for you too. I hadn't seen the stainless version before. Since I have another muffler behind my spiral flow I look forward to hearing yours to hear the difference.

Thanks Tony. Just to clarify, I still have my B&B muffler after the sprial flow in the side sills. From what I can remember, it sounds similar to your car (I believe you have a Dynomax/Hennnessey muffler after yours?).

cadwiz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car has complete B&B exhaust, but has 3" hi-flow cats also -- it is VERY loud, with an ear-splitting drone at 1,500 rpm. At frwy speeds (1,500 rpm) is basically undrivable. I can't imagine your car being any louder than mine (mine is that bad) unless our perception of loud is way different. Just in case my idea of quiet is different than yours, do you think the Moroso mufflers would help me get the car where I can actually talk to someone in the car or hear the stereo? I'm not worried about tickets - just hearing damage (get headaches is so loud).

many thanks in advance.

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We must all have different ideas of loud...I have B&B 1 7/8 Headers and B&B exhaust with no cats. And while I agree with the drone at 1500, the car is perfectly comfortable sound wise to drive ant any speeds over and under that. It has a great rumble at idle, and WOT screams, but I wouldnt change it for the world. As for the cops.....I had the opportunity to test my exhaust with a decibel meter, and here in Illinois it definatly passed the idle test...so if any cop pulls you over for exhaust politely tell him his opinion means **** and to get out his calibrated meter and show you your exhaust is too loud.....:cool:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has complete B&B exhaust, but has 3" hi-flow cats also -- it is VERY loud, with an ear-splitting drone at 1,500 rpm. At frwy speeds (1,500 rpm) is basically undrivable. I can't imagine your car being any louder than mine (mine is that bad) unless our perception of loud is way different. Just in case my idea of quiet is different than yours, do you think the Moroso mufflers would help me get the car where I can actually talk to someone in the car or hear the stereo? I'm not worried about tickets - just hearing damage (get headaches is so loud).

many thanks in advance.

That doesn't sound correct. What kind of mufflers does B&B have and where are they ? Any muffler WITH a cat shouldn't sound like you describe. The moroso probably won't do any better that a high flow cat. Could the cat's have been gutted ?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put in a set of these http://www.aeroexhaust.com/suv_muffler_3030xl.html and their resonators.

I did not want any restriction....I don't know if the spiral flows will be a restiction but I didin't want to take a chance....plus these guys offered to refund my money if I didn't like them....so far I like them. The car is very quiet now and it sounds good when I get on it. They do cost more than 40 bucks though ;)

I bought the two mufflers and resonators for 500 dollars shipped for free...if you're interested let me know.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We must all have different ideas of loud...I have B&B 1 7/8 Headers and B&B exhaust with no cats. And while I agree with the drone at 1500, the car is perfectly comfortable sound wise to drive ant any speeds over and under that. It has a great rumble at idle, and WOT screams, but I wouldnt change it for the world. As for the cops.....I had the opportunity to test my exhaust with a decibel meter, and here in Illinois it definatly passed the idle test...so if any cop pulls you over for exhaust politely tell him his opinion means **** and to get out his calibrated meter and show you your exhaust is too loud.....:cool:

I may be full of it, but when I first added my supercharger and cylinder heads, my car got even louder with no exhaust changes. IMO, a supercharged car will be louder with the same exhaust setup than a N/A car. That may be the difference in our ideas of what loud is.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be full of it, but when I first added my supercharger and cylinder heads, my car got even louder with no exhaust changes. IMO, a supercharged car will be louder with the same exhaust setup than a N/A car. That may be the difference in our ideas of what loud is.
No question about it. My car got way louder after I installed the blower. I noticed the same thing to a lesser degree when I put a bigger cam in a big block Chevy engine I was running. More powerful explosions are louder.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't sound correct. What kind of mufflers does B&B have and where are they ? Any muffler WITH a cat shouldn't sound like you describe. The moroso probably won't do any better that a high flow cat. Could the cat's have been gutted ?

I had the same drone issues with my B&B exhaust, headers and hi-flo cats. Drone was so terrible I had headaches. Loudness wasn't an issue but the drone was torture. The exhaust also sounded like a wet fart until I got on it at WOT. Exhaust was checked for leaks, blockage, loose connections, gutted cats, etc. Nada. I removed the cats to see if it changed the drone but it didn't. It definitely got louder. I gave up on it and replaced it with a complete Belanger system and RT hi-flow cats. Incredible difference in sound and no drone. My speculation is that the resonators on the B&B system amplifies the drone. I was going to replace the resonators with sprial flows or race bullets but got a good deal on Belanger. The Belanger exhaust I went with has no resonators or mufflers in the side-sills, just straight pipe behind the cats and 2 dynomax race bullets in the rear. It's loud but a beautiful aggressively loud exhaust note and no drone. I love it.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a bunch of sissies...this is what's going on my ACR in the next few days !

You must be registered for see images

Two of them, actually..

:rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh:

---------------------
Garage Sale!

Last edited:

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nope, your not full of it....I agree with you, adding a SC and heads will make it louder...I will update my opinion when I get my SC next summer. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960