Formula Shell Oil

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone used this product? I was at costco looking for some oil for my DD, was planning on getting M1, they had a 6qt box for $35. Right next to it they had a 12 qt case of Formula Shell for $25. I went ahead and got the Shell but was curious if any one had used this product either in their vipers or any other cars, or if anyone has heard any issues with this product.

thanks.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume this is Formula Shell, the mineral oil. Like almost all other mineral oils, it is formulated to meet the requirements of API SL and not much more than that.

Because Shell is also a gasoline brand, it likely receives fewer marketing dollars because the gas stations are already creating customer awareness. In fact, the Richard Childress NASCAR team displays the Shell pecten (look it up, it is not a scallop sea shell) but got into trouble because Sunoco is the official fuel. Consequently the major sponsor Pennzoil has a larger logo.

Shell Oil Products US (SOPUS) markets Shell, Pennzoil, and Quaker State engine oils. A quick look at Shell.com shows they position Quaker as getting the most out of your engine, Pennzoil as engine protection, and Shell as the value brand. Performance, protection, cost. When I was at Texaco, we marketed Havoline, AC Delco, Western Auto, and Adler oil (huh?). There really wasn't a performance difference then, and I doubt there is much difference between the Shell oils now. It is Marketing 101.

It is a "good" oil. Any major brand with the API certification is a "good" oil. It meets the performance that the OEMs want oils to have. It will be just fine for daily driver normal engines, typical service, routine oil drain intervals. With more additives and better base oils, you move up to "better" and "best" (elusive definition) oils.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, thanks for the substantial response Tom. This is great information to have and it definately puts my mind at ease...good for DD, but I doubt I'll use it in the viper. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950