front fascia repair

BIRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I lowered my 01` GTS off my lift. I had a 2x4 on the garage floor and my fascia just touched it. This caused a 1 inch high clean verticle tear just at the very bottom of the radius. I took it to my Dodge dealer for an estimant, hoping for a couple hundred bucks. He asked if I was going to put in a claim. I told him if it were a few hundred no I would take care of it out of pocket. I was told I might want to claim it as the cost to replace the part from Dodge was $10,535.00 with tax and labor it would be $11278.40. My questions are fix it with replacement fascia, take the money and modify the car, don't put in a claim and try to ignore the damage,or try to fix it without replaement part. The only thing I'm sure of is I'm not going to spend 11 grand to fix it. All suggestions appreceated. Thanks Dave

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can be repaired by a reputable body shop...OR...call around and find a good "take off". Plenty of "take off's" where people are tranforming a stocker into a race car...I wouldn't make an insurance claim...

<font color="blue">HERE</font> is a bargain I found in about 2.5 seconds...Now, It's a 1998, but I personally would consider it just to have the fog lamp covers...and this belongs to a viper owner that frequents this board...

You can also call:

<font color="blue">Archer Racing</font>

or

<font color="blue">PartsRack</font>

And then I would install a guard on your lower facia...like <font color="blue">THIS ONE</font>.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uh, well way to ruin it for the rest of us Snake Bitten.

I have a take off in primer available from a 2001 GTS. It's listed in VCA classifieds. It has had surface scratches repaired. No tears. Was red with silver stripes.

I think they took you for a ride on the estimate though. All you would need would be the part, paint, and labor.

If I remember correctly that part is $4800 retail.

The chin guard may bot have prevented your misfortune, but it's a good piece.

I would NOT file an insurance claim. Too many people being dropped for claims and this is a minor incident.

I would consider not reporting it OR fixing it.

Reaction score

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think I would never go back to that shop for trying to charge you that much for a fascia job and its very easy to repair.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a 2" tear in my from facia when clipping a curb at 2MPH. Made me sick (so sick, I did NOT take photos).

I went to a professional autobody paint store a bought:
$30 for TPO kit (bumper repair epoxy - Duramix)
$90 for matching base color paint, and clearcoat
$15 for misc supplies

Here's the work:
-Took off the front facia (1-2 hrs)
-Ground down the edges of the tear to a 3/16" wedge on both sides, inside &amp; out. (a CAREFUL hour with a Dremel)
-Drilled off-set 1/16" holes every 1/4" in the "wedge".
-Prep'd the plastic with TPO bonding prep.
-Epoxy'd the back with fiber reinforcement (included in the kit), and let it set (minutes).
-Epoxy'd the front.
-Block-wet-sanded it with 320grit (1/2 hour)
-Painted it with Flexible primer, and re-sanded with 320.
-Repeated the primer and sanding steps about 8-10 times - until PERFECTION - in all about 5 hours (I'm not a "pro").
-Applied a thin base (color) paint with an inexpensive gun - HarborFreight
-Wet sanded with 1000grit and applied two more thin, plus one thick coat. - (2-3 hrs).
-Applied ONE clearcoat as the instructions state: full medium coat, wait 15 minutes, apply the 2nd full coat and leave it alone for at least 24 hours. (I bought a 2nd paintgun for the clear on the advise of a pro - good advice.)

The next day I rubbed out a little overspray, and she looks like glass (the rest of the car). A 100% paintmatch. I'd post a photo, but it looks factory, so what's the point?

I hung the facia back on the car - another 2 hours of PAIN. My secret was to remove the hood alarm switch, so I could get a wrench on the top bumper reinforcement bolt on the passenger side.

In all, I fugure I was in to it for at least 20 hours, but what a savings!

If you're not up to it - ask at an AUTOMOTIVE paint store for someone that does side work and save a ton. (PS. Don't give them the car to work on - take off the front and give them JUST that.)

OP
OP
B

BIRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your all your help. I'm going to find a shop that will fix the damage. I'm sure that a real body man can make it good as new for under $500. . Dave

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are interested in shipping your part out to cleveland, Oh I can get it fixed for you by my Father in-law. He is a Porsche Audi factory team body man. He does really nice work and has done a lot on my old viper that I bought totaled and turned into a racer. Just a thought let me know!

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to remove the front facia yourself unless you just don't want to do it. It is not as difficult as it looks and it is easy to put back on. Good luck.