Fuel Economy

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know most of us prob don't really care about fuel economy with our Vipers. However, I am must curious what you guys are averaging with mostly city driving. For me I average around 10mpg 60 city/40 hwy driving. Of course this is with some spirited driving ;) Once I think I averaged slightly over 20mpg with all highway driving.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"For me I average around 10mpg 60 city/40 hwy driving. Of course this is with some spirited driving Once I think I averaged slightly over 20mpg with all highway driving."

That makes no sense.

I get 21mpg on the hwy and who knows around town.

S

SUN RA KAT

I get 11-15 mpg.

My Viper is my economy car - my highly modded Ram truck gets 10-12 mpg.

Gasoline now costs $2.259 per gallon and it will also cost George Bush my vote.

:usa:

throttle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 2.25?
Cost's 2.49 here for premium in Vancouver, Washington. Even more expensive in Oregon.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"For me I average around 10mpg 60 city/40 hwy driving. Of course this is with some spirited driving Once I think I averaged slightly over 20mpg with all highway driving."

That makes no sense.

I get 21mpg on the hwy and who knows around town.

Sorry - meant to say 10mpg with about 60% city/ 40% hwy driving.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing that stuned me when I got my Viper was her fuel effectiveness on the highway. At 80mph I can get around 23mpg. Which is the same as for a Volvo S40 ! Mesured and compared ... We bought the Viper in Toronto and brought it back to Montreal. My wife was driving her Volvo and I was driving the Viper. Same 100% consumption.
In the city it is a different story ... it's around 12mpg. But much better than any other polluting SUV. SUVs don't have to have all the antipollution staff that the Viper has.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kim,
Around here we don't call it fuel "ecomony". It is more like fuel "extravagance". If I don't kill my engine when refilling the tank, I gain on the pump.
I don't ever plan to compute my fuel usage. I'll do that on my Jeep or another car. My thoughts while driving my Viper are not on fuel savings, or saving anything, for that matter.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I left from Central NJ in the Viper and went up to Boston with a full tank. When I arrived in Boston (Approx 225 Miles away) I still had 3/8 of a tank left. AMAZING!

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've gotten as high as 23 with all interstate drive and as low as 6, track day driving. My average is around 16 though, mostly city but not stop and go stuff, usually a rather constant 35 to 45 speed.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modified Vipers have been recorded as high as 28mpg - because they have more precise control over their tune than factory settings... one such car was Paolo's 888rwhp supercharged beast that got 28mpg in the economy test of the magazine shootout - it did coast down hill, but then it drove up - so the figure wouldn't change much if on the flat. Another car went same on the highway with 580rwhp on all motor....

all in the tune and right foot.

A Vette Z06 would get over 30mpg driven the same way - not that anyone buys a Viper or Vette for economy...

It's SUV's that **** - because they hog fuel and give nothing in return other than truck like bulk - they have less room than an MPV, are slower point to point than a car but cost twice as much to run - really all they have going for them is to be really big... somehow its "cool" to be in a 10mpg barge that drives like one but uncool to have more room and as much comfort in an MPV that gets 20mpg... or uncool to have a car for a family vehicle because people will pay twice the costs to not have to pack the trunk carefully and be frugal in what they take away.... :2tu:

War the real vehicle that pollutes - SUVS

If we need to haul - we can get a truck
If we need to haul people - we can get an MPV
If we need to get around - we can use a car
If we need to do it all - we can get an AWD wagon

The SUV doesn't fit - make them comply with emissions and pass economy requirements - that'll make em so boring (as tho they weren't already so boring) and people will buy the right alternatives.

popcorn :smirk:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more about SUVs. I love mine and will replace it with another. It does it all.
An all-wheel-drive wagon is wimpy.
What is an MPV? Minivan?
So, what do you have, a V-6 Viper?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HA

I knew I'd get a bite :D

A AWD wagon wimpy?

don't think so - I wouldn't call an Audi RS6 twin turbo V8 wimpy - it has the same power as the Viper

MPV - like a Voyager = seats a large family and heaps of luggage space.

V6 Viper - lol, when I have my kids every second weekend - we are 7 and so the only practical vehicle for me has to be an 8 seater - for which I use an AWD Toyota - similar to what you'd call a Previa. Not quite as barge like as a big SUV, a lot more room inside, and it gets twice the mpg - plus still goes anywhere most people would want to go.

anyway - I'm just pulling your chain - some SUV's are pretty cool :D

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Audi RS6. What does that cost? Real good replacement for my Jeep, huh?
I don't care if I had 20 kids, I ain't getting no minivan.
Or station wagon. They'll have to pry my cold dead fingers from the premium nozzle before I give up my SUV.
The higher gas goes the more I want an H2 because people will freak and bail out of them and they will be cheap.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As of this morning I was:
942.301 Gallons at 16,557 Miles for a grand average of 17.571mpg

Not that I keep track of those sorts of things....

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Gasoline now costs $2.259 per gallon and it will also cost George Bush my vote."

Did you think this up yourself Kenny? or did someone on tv tell you to say it?
How does it work? Do they snap their fingers and you say something bad about the president?

Snap, Kenny, roll over...... good boy.

Exactly who would you look to as your "cheap gas" candidate?

Are you an NEA member?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Gasoline now costs $2.259 per gallon and it will also cost George Bush my vote.

I missed this my first scan through...

Just to be clear - you are saying this knowing full well that Kerry is in full support of a $3+ per gallon tax hike to curb SUV usage right? If you don't vote or vote for Kerry you'll be paying MUCH more than a whimpy $2.26/g...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny isn't smart enough to understand any of that Bonk.

He's a bought dog Democrat. Probably an NEA member.

He doesn't need to know anything. He just dumps on the president whenever he gets a chance.

Come on Kenny, let's hear who your cheap gas candidate is?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it is the pro-car candidate Ralph Nader. Yea, that's the ticket. He'd just outlaw any vehicle with any degree of fun.