Fuse Mystery

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT10. About 3 years ago, the fan motor stopped working. I could feel cold air and warm air when the car was moving. I took it to the local dealership in Ringgold and they told me that they replaced the fuse. The tech told me that if I had any more problems, it was probably the fan motor. It worked for a few months then stopped working again.

Last year, I removed the fan motor. I finally found one from a salvage (Dodge has discontinued making them). I replaced the fan motor about 2 weeks ago and it still didn't work. So I ordered a resistor last week from the dealer and replaced that, still didn't work. The fuse #7 says "Blower motor 25 amp". Checked that and it was fine.

The Mystery: I pulled every fuse one at a time thinking that they might be mislabeled. When I got to #9 Airbag Controller, it was blown. It was also a 30 amp fuse. The manual says it should be a 10 amp fuse. I am no electrician but a friend told me that a 30 amp fuse had to be a mistake. He said that if I continued to use it, I would probably burn the fan motor up again. Besides, why would an airbag controller operate the AC Blower motor????

I went to the Ringgold dealer yesterday. My manual doesn't match up anything they have. In fact, they told me that most of my fuses had the wrong amperage fuse in them.
Notice that the manual shows that#4 is a 7.5 amp radio but it has a 10 amp fuse. It says that #5 is a 10 amp air bag controller and the fuse block has a 4 amp fuse in it. The dealer also said that #13 should be the radio fuse and mine is empty.

The dealer told me that my fuse block was on the drivers side in the engine compartment. It was on the passenger side above the left knee.

Either I have the worlds worst mislabeled fuse block or I have Viper kit car that someone threw together from a volkswagon.

What amperage fuse should be in #9? Why would #9 control the AC Blower motor? Why would my manual and the dealers chart and my fuse block be so far off?

My owners manual: Notice that #7 is the 25 amp "Blower Motor" and #9 is the 10 amp "airbag controller"

You must be registered for see images attach

My Fuse Block

Last edited:

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest Issue you have a Gen1.5 Manuals are different between the 96 Rt and 96 Gts. And that will through alot of people off. Will dig into this later and see if I can help point you in the right direction

Reaction score
If the airbag fuse was really blown then the light should have been on. I found a case about same issues you may be able to glean some options from,

System or ComponentInoperative,Premature Failure,Will Not Turn On,Works Backwards;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Group 24 - Climate Control - Heating / Air Conditioning,Fan / Blower;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously
RecommendationSee list of possible causes provided. Diagnose and repair as required. ITEM 1): COLD ENGINE LOCK OUT FEATURE (CELO): Some models with auto temp control (ATC) incorporate a feature involving the body control module that prevents blower motor operation when engine coolant temp is below approx (98F) degrees. This feature is cancelled if manual blower motor fan speed is selected. ITEM 2): CIRCUIT WIRING AND CONNECTORS: Check all related circuit wiring / connectors / power feed and ground connections. Check for poor pin connections and chafed wiring harness (rub through) causing short to power or ground. Check blower motor control switch (fan switch) operation. Check blower motor relay. ITEM 3): INSTRUMENT PANEL SIDE BOLTS: Some models use the large bolts at each end of the instrument / dash panel to provide ground path to the chassis. Check for secure and clean connection at instrument panel side bolts. ITEM 4): POWER MODULE: Some models equipped with auto temp control (ATC) use a power module to engage the blower motor relay. Check ATC power module operation. Replace ATC power module as required. IMPORTANT: Verify correct wiring harness and resistor card is used for proper blower motor operation. ITEM 5): IGNITION SWITCH: Some models use the ignition switch to engage the blower motor relay. Defective ignition switch may allow the blower motor to operate with the ignition off. Check ignition switch operation and related circuit wiring to blower motor relay. ITEM 6): BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR: Some models use a blower motor circuit resistor which will disengage power feed to the blower motor if high circuit load is detected. Blown resistor may indicate interference or drag is being placed on the blower motor fan or the blower motor has an internal problem. Blower motor may operate on one speed only if resistor is blown on some models. Suggest blower motor amperage draw test. Amp draw should be approx (13-17) amp when blower is operating on high mode. Check all related circuit wiring and replace blower motor if higher than normal amperage draw is detected. ITEM 7): BLOWER MOTOR FAN: Check blower motor fan (squirrel cage) for debris or damage. Verify fan is secure to blower motor shaft. ITEM 8): BLOWER MOTOR: Check blower motor operation manually with jumper test wires to power source and ground. Replace blower motor if internal problem is suspected. ITEM 9): AFTERMARKET ADD-ON EQUIPMENT: Check for aftermarket add-on equipment or system that may cause the condition being addressed. END OF PROCEDURE

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What airbag are you guys discussing in relation to a 1996 R/T 10??? There is a red one in our garage WITH NO AIRBAG !!! :)

Last edited:

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks to me like you have a '96 GTS owners manual. 2 totally different cars. The '96 RT owners book is trimmed Red and the '96 GTS book is trimmed in Blue. So we need to get you info on the correct car. And thanks Steve for catching the Airbag reference. Which Mark and I should have picked up on. Must be V10Speedlovr's 96 rt if it has dual Airbags. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
LOL, I guess I should have asked for a VIN :lmao:

Looks to me like you have a '96 GTS owners manual. 2 totally different cars. The '96 RT owners book is trimmed Red and the '96 GTS book is trimmed in Blue. So we need to get you info on the correct car. And thanks Steve for catching the Airbag reference. Which Mark and I should have picked up on. Must be V10 Speedlover's 96 rt if it has dual Airbags. :rolleyes:

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The biggest Issue you have a Gen1.5 Manuals are different between the 96 Rt and 96 Gts. And that will through alot of people off. Will dig into this later and see if I can help point you in the right direction

I think this is the case. Make sure you have the correct manual. The fuse is supposed to protect the wires from catching on fire. If you were pushing 30A down a wire that was rated for 10A, you may have burned the wire in two at it's most resistive point...this may explain why it worked for a little bit before and now not at all. Size everything appropriately or you may start a fire. If that tech put the wrong fuse size in, you should inform the business so he doesn't put anymore fuses in anybody else's fuse block...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
According to OUR 1996 R/T 10 Owners Manual...fuse location #9 is for "Heater Motor"...and is a green 30 amp fuse.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Concur with Steve-Indy. My 1996 R/T 10 fuse location #9 is for "Heater Motor" and is a green 30 amp fuse. Good luck solving the mystery.

OP
OP
P

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. My book IS blue and it has a GTS on the front. I never thought anything about it. How can I get an RT owners manual? Why didn't the dealer catch it? I saw their computer and it showed only one wiring diagram.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to clarify that the fan is working now after replacing the 30amp fuse, the motor and resistor. It just concerned me that the 30 amp fuse wasn't matching anything my manual.

Can anyone post a copy of the 96 RT fuse block diagram?

Last edited:

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need to clarify that the fan is working now after replacing the 30amp fuse, the motor and resistor. It just concerned me that the 30 amp fuse wasn't matching anything my manual.

Can anyone post a copy of the 96 RT fuse block diagram?

Hey, I think I have a copy of a 96 RT book at home. I bought a '95 RT and, for some reason, the book that came with it was either a '96 or a '98. I bought my '95 manual on Ebay. I'll check at lunch today and get back with you. I'll give you a good price if you're interested because I have no use for it.

Update: No such luck...It's a '99 Manual. Anybody need a '99 Manual?

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Photo pro, there is no such diagram in a 1996 R/T 10 Owners Manual...just a listing of the fuses' purposes.

As noted in my deleted post, you NEED the 1996 R/T 10 Service Manual which does have a diagram of the wiring on the back side of the fuse block. That manual looks likethis:

OP
OP
P

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in luck. I found an OEM manual on EBay. At least I have the right manual in the car if I decide to sell it one day. Thanks Steve Indy. I will check on the service manual.